Headset media buttons not working when screen is off

Inf

My earphones have media buttons that don't work when the screen is off.

Everything works fine when the screen is on. When the screen is off:

Single press works even though it is slightly delayed.

Double/triple press does not work consistently. Most of the time nothing happens, sometimes it works, sometimes it skip tracks (eg instead of going to next it goes to next +1).

I have wakelock, keep service, permanent notification enabled.

On other players (blackplayer/gonemad) double press works consistently when the screen is off but always skips one track (always goes to next +1). Screen on works fine.

For some reason on blackplayer when using the default decoder (mediaplayer) instead of exoplayer , double press when screen off stops playing the song until the screen is turned on again - at which it finally changes to next track. 

I'm on Nokia 7 Plus / Android 10 

Temporary workaround?

For the double click: I have been double pressing quickly, which gives the inconsistency above.

If I hold do the first press instantly followed by a second click that lasts a fraction of a second longer, then it works most of the time.  But if I hold the second press down too long it will pause instead.

No luck with triple pressing.

Still hoping for a proper solution but guessing how many fractions of a second I must hold the second press is better than nothing ...

Archived