Autotune to flat

I originally purchased Poweramp when I bought a used Tesla Roadster, which was awesome but had a godawful (even painful) stereo system...and upgrading anything at all was "not advised".  Poweramp's graphic equalizer gave me the control I needed to make the sound system passable, and is actually most of the reason I kept the car as long as I did.  So thank you for that.

I moved on and I put new speakers and a sub in my new car, but I hesitate to touch the factory dash and don't have the spare money for a sound processor right now (especially in today's economic climate).  I'd love to get a JL Fix 86 someday, but besides not wanting to spend the money, between work, overtime, kids, etc, I can't keep up with the stuff I already need to get done.  So in the mean time, Poweramp has been a great boon in that I can use the graphic equalizer again to try to turn down the painful frequencies and even out the system a bit...but I'm just a regular guy, which means I have a tough time getting it 'right'.  I always end up with something sounding muddy, or hollow, or whatever...

What would really be great is if Poweramp could implement something like the JL Fix SPs do...a poor man's sound processor.  It can send out a series of test tones through the bluetooth, and use the phone's mic (or attached external mic) to listen and adjust the graphic equalizer as necessary to produce as close as possible to a flat response curve.

I understand there are a lot of limitations here, especially if someone decides to use the in-phone mic (though a mic test on my Galaxy Note 9 shows a surprisingly good frequency response) or tries to tune a system or speaker with limited frequency response.  But even with limitations, this feature should be able to improve sound output considerably, or at the very least give us users some valuable information to help us tune the system better ourselves.

Even after I get a sound processor installed, most factory head units (and even aftermarket head units), choke on MP3 libraries over 1k songs...and I'm at about 25k and counting now.  So Poweramp has, and probably always will be, a constant part of my mobile audio systems.  I can't be alone in that, and am sure many others would appreciate this feature.

Archived