Album artwork is only working partially after getting new phone (Android 8.0)

mikkelhansen

Hi,

I have been a very happy user of Poweramp for a couple of years, I enjoy the usability and advanced options within the app. A few weeks ago I replaced my Sony Xperia Z5 Compact running Android 7.1.1 with a brand new Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact  running Android 8.0. However, after this change, the album artwork function seems to be faulty. For a lot of tracks/albums (also those by rather large artists, including Tiesto and Blondie), I now only get to choose between live show images, newspaper/magazine pages (!) or even no results at all!

I don't know what has changed on Poweramp's end, but it seems as if the album artwork function now just searches for the artist, track and album title on a Google Images search and shows the first 2-6 results (and those would often be images from live shows, eg with the description "[Artist] performing [track name] from his new album [album name] live at [venue]").

On my old phone, I almost always received at least one result including the actual artwork (resolution spanning from 200x200px to 2500x2500px), even for very "small" (little-known) releases. I have transferred all the tracks directly via Sony's "Xperia Transfer" app, and all tracks have intact ID3 data with at least track name, artist and album (most also have track number, year, genre and so on).

Has anyone else experienced this "error"/problem lately?

I am using Poweramp Pro version 709, downloaded from Google Play Store. My phone is running with latest security patches and updates from Sony.

Thanks,

Mikkel

I tested this with every release available of Poweramp (588, 709, 790), and I have the same exact issue. The search only returns completely unrelated pictures, often magazine covers. I don't know if the search engine changed something or if it's oreo's fault (since this started happening only after the update).

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only user with this problem. Hopefully someone from the support team or development team can shed some light on this problem. It would indeeed appear that there is a problem on Android Oreo (8.0). But it could be nice to know what the source for the artwork searches is. Is it indeed a Google serach, or does the function pull artwork from eg. iTunes, like this website: https://bendodson.com/projects/itunes-artwork-finder .

• 3 weeks later...

Archived