Poweramp Not Finding Music

Debbie

I just downloaded Poweramp to my Galaxy S7 Edge so I can separate my audiobooks from my music.  However, the only thing showing up after I ask it to look for my music folder are my audiobooks.  Under "Folders Selection", I've got everything checked, and I've also asked the program to auto-find music folders, but nothing is working.  What am I doing wrong?  (Please know that I'm not that literate on this stuff, so please respond in simple terminology.)  Thanks!

Where is your music stored, on the phone internally or on a plug-in SD Card? And what format is the music?

If you go into Poweramp Settings > Folders and Library > Music Folders, you then need to navigate via the directory tree to that specific location and ensure that all the folders which contain music are ticked (if you tick the highest level one, all the subfolders will be selected too), then choose to do a "Full Rescan".

Andre

This is how little I know about this stuff.  I had to google a bunch of questions to even find out if I had an SD card in my phone.  I don't.  All my music has been downloaded from Google Play Store.  Does that help?  In the Poweramp Settings, I've tried ticking and unticking most every button there and then doing the Rescan, but all that shows up are the audiobooks on my phone.  No music whatsoever.  Suggestions?

Google Play doesn't put its music anywhere especially useful when you download it (assuming you have actually physically downloaded it, and it is not still in the Google cloud?).

For internal storage devices, the path will normally be Android/data/com.google.android.music/files/music

However they will not use human-friendly names or tags, so expect to find files like 1234.mp3 with no embedded title/artist/album/etc information within the file. Sometime the files may be encrypted too, which would mean that even if you copy them out of that location and into a regular Music folder, you may not be able to play them outside of Google's app.

Andre

44 minutes ago, Debbie said:

Would you suggest, then, that I get an SD card and move my music to it?  Would that then allow Poweramp to upload my music and separate my audiobooks?

No, that won't make any difference, it'll just make things more complicated which I suspect you don't want to do right now! Get it working on internal device memory first.

Andre

• 3 years later...
On 1/3/2017 at 2:39 AM, andrewilley said:

Where is your music stored, on the phone internally or on a plug-in SD Card? And what format is the music?

If you go into Poweramp Settings > Folders and Library > Music Folders, you then need to navigate via the directory tree to that specific location and ensure that all the folders which contain music are ticked (if you tick the highest level one, all the subfolders will be selected too), then choose to do a "Full Rescan".

Andre

This is exactly what I am doing. I select the folder where I transferred my music (via USB), make sure the whole tree is selected, and press "Select Folders", The "Folders Selection" window closes, but after "Rescan" or "Full Rescan" nothing is found. When I return to "Music folders", what I selected a moment ago is no more selected. What is happening?

BTW, the device is Samsung Galaxy A51, with Android 10.

There are zillions of Android music players, both free and not (I am currently using AIMP and Foobar2000), but for some reason I am bent on trying this one, too.

Archived