EQ Presets bound to albums

Oldnick

In iTunes, each album and even each song can be assigned its own EQ. That EQ is automatically applied when that Album/Song is played. I find this very useful, as albums are all engineered very differently and EQ can make a huge difference to listening.

Thanks for the programme and your attention.

Nick

You can create and assign EQ settings for various specific instances, including to a specific Song, a List (e.g. Folder, Album, Artist, etc). or an output device, Use the 'Save Equ Preset' menu option within the EQ screen and add a new item (or use one of the existing settings) and define where you would like it to be used.

Andre

Ok so what ever mode we are in Album/Allsongs/Artist sets the preset for the current set of songs played?

Not really ideal as I have found that when playing an artist the presets change to various preset i have tried whilst play testing presets.

Really confusing.

You can assign specific EQs to the current 'list' grouping layer, or to an individual song. The grouping level (list) that you are working with could be ant one of a variety of options, including Folders, Albums, Artists, Playlist, etc. The preset EQ that you save will be applied to the current list (e.g to the current Album) and the wording in the Save form will tell you which type you are about to save.  

If you created a preset you find you no longer want, you can delete it from the list of presets which will remove it from anywhere that it has been used.

Andre

Yes. Am testing v 3. See, you are using a logic that requires the user to know how they got to where they want to assign an eq setting. Why force that on me.

When driving a car and changing gears the manual transmission requires more involvement and precision from driver. As sw developers you want to create more of an automatic transmission driving experience. 

Ok. Now there is only song option.

You cant set eq to playlists genres etc

There is no folder option, only song eq

There is no revert to previous eq settings or undo eq changes in case you change eq for all songs accidently (which is silly easytodo in this app)

Man. Am wasting TOO MUCH time on eq settings 

And now i am able to set eq via genre list. Problem is i can think i am in a list because i have opened it. But max doesnt read it as opened. I think i am making changes to the list i have opened but am not. According to max. I guess.

Yes, you can set EQ values to Playlists and Genre if you wish - whatever mode is currently playing will be the mode that is set, and you will see the correctly labelled tickbox so you know what mode you are saving the EQ for (otherwise how could you define it at all? If you were playing in Genre mode, how could you save a preset for some particular artist or album for example? That would make the Save As screen even more complex).

You can also reset the current value to default settings if you make a mistake and wish to start again, or to any other saved preset.

I agree it is fairly complex and requires some learning, but the degree of customisation available is one of the reasons why people use an app like Poweramp instead of the stock app which probably just offers a simple set of EQ sliders (if indeed any at all). 

Andre

Re genre list - 

I should be able to set eq once for entire genre. Now i have to set each genre album separately. Ugh.

A better design would be to assign albums to an eq setting like how currently you assign them to a playlist. That would be fast and easy and you already have much of the coding.

Or let me simply enter a list ie genre and assign the entire thing to an eq with a click or two.

On 26/12/2016 at 6:42 PM, andrewilley said:

Yes, you can set EQ values to Playlists and Genre if you wish - whatever mode is currently playing will be the mode that is set,

Rather than allowing user to listen to something while changing something else. Its annoying to hop from song to song just set eq.

and you will see the correctly labelled tickbox so you know what mode you are saving the EQ for (otherwise how could you define it at all? If you were playing in Genre mode, how could you save a preset for some particular artist or album for example? That would make the Save As screen even more complex).

Not really. It should allow for refining. Eg: set entire genre eq (currently must set genre albums individually).. Then set genre album individually.. Then set song individually. Eq should be available the first step into each level for entire level,  and regardless what is playing. /2c

On 26/12/2016 at 6:42 PM, andrewilley said:

You can also reset the current value to default settings if you make a mistake and wish to start again, or to any other saved preset.

I agree it is fairly complex and requires some learning, but the degree of customisation available is one of the reasons why people use an app like Poweramp instead of the stock app which probably just offers a simple set of EQ sliders (if indeed any at all). 

Andre

As I said earlier, you can assign am EQ preset to a Genre. For example if you are playing music using Genre "Rock" as your current mode, then when you go into EQ > Save EQ Preset > New,  you can tick the 'Genre' box to save it for use in all future playback using the genre Rock.

Just feel happy that you are not using the supposedly state-of-the-art Sonos music app which I've just had to install for my wife to allow her to use her Christmas present wireless speaker. The speaker itself is lovely and works very well, but their app is so basic that are aren't even any EQ settings at all, never mind being able to assign them to anywhere.

Andre

Archived