Adding a track to an m3u playlist on sdcard removes all other entries

When setting up my phone I had an existing music collection with playlists in m3u format on a memory card. Poweramp recognized them nicely and worked fine with them. 

Now I have added a new track by copying it from dropbox to the collection's folder on the memory card. I located that track in Poweramp's folder-view, long-pressed it, selected "add to playlist" and chose an existing playlist. 

After that the playlist had only one track, the one I had added. I retried that with a different playlist, same effect. Good that I still had the original m3u file somewhere else, so that I could copy it over. 

Something's terribly wrong here. 

It's not a good idea to add content to file-based playlists anyway, as the new items are not written back to the file so a full rescan will simply re-load the file. Better to manually edit the file itself to add new content, and Poweramp will notice the playlist file has been modified and reload it.

Andre

1 hour ago, andrewilley said:

It's not a good idea to add content to file-based playlists anyway, as the new items are not written back to the file so a full rescan will simply re-load the file. Better to manually edit the file itself to add new content, and Poweramp will notice the playlist file has been modified and reload it.

Thanks. Is there a simple way to migrate all the file-based playlists?

On 11/4/2016 at 10:27 PM, andrewilley said:

Migrate them in what way? I would think that TheoKlink's Player Manager app should be able to do most tasks.

In what way - well, in a way that in the end I can manage my playlists easily from within Poweramp.

I took a look at the Player Manager app, but found this far from intuitive - I found all my playlists in duplicate or triplicate, but each displayed with 0 tracks. Trying to import an external playlist did not help. I don't think I want to deal with this.

What I really want is simple: not have to know how this all works but have my playlists supported without any issues. That's why I decided to use a non-free app for this (and don't get me wrong, Poweramp is a wonderful app and worth every cent). As Poweramp displays my m3u playlists and allows me to add or remove tracks, this functionality should "just work" :)

You can add and remove items from any file-based playlists within PA, just like you can with internally-created lists, however those changes remain internal  to Poweramp's database, and the contents of the external file will not be changed (it would be far too easy to wipe out a whole file otherwise).

There is a slightly convoluted workaround though, which is once you have made your changes to a playlist, long-press on it and use the "Add to Playlist" menu option to copy all of its contents into a brand-new internal list. That new list can then be simply exported back to a backup using the Settings > Folders and Library > Export Poweramp Playlists option. 

Andre

I have now resolved this topic for me by going through all my m3u playlists inside Poweramp and create new Poweramp playlists from their contents, so that I will no longer need the m3u files. 

I could probably do this in a more automated way using the New Playlist Manager app, however I really want things simple and in one place.

The original problem leading to me opening this thread was a problem that I had encountered: trying to add a new track to an external m3u playlist. Things did not work as expected as described above, 

Archived