I haven't seen album art in years and I miss it...

So I think I asked about this a long time ago, but the problem remains and I didn't find that thread in an initial search at least.  Simply put, Poweramp hasn't shown album art within the app itself in years.  It stopped all of a sudden one time with an update, but that was several devices ago and never again have I seen my album art in any songs.  Whether downloaded or embedded.  I've tried changing settings around.  For example, I've tried both with and without settings like the 24-bit RGB.  Thinking maybe setting it to prefer downloaded album art might override the embedded art in songs where I already manually embedded something nice I even tried turning that setting off.  Still no go.  The funny thing is, it works everywhere else.  It shows up in the dropdown and even on the lock screen, just never within the main app itself.  I thought also maybe it was skin related, but I don't even have skin options since atm I'm using the alpha version for its high-res output capabilities and it just has the one thing built in without even any options available.

I've been out of ideas for a long time and basically just putting up with it, but I'm really starting to miss having that nice album art showing up with each song.

Embedded art should be displayed anyway, the 'prefer' options control what to do if both embedded and folder-based artwork are found. You could try clearing data for the app and starting again (also clear the album art cache). Remember to export your settings and any internal playlists FIRST though (and you will lose any entered ratings and most-played counts, unless you use TheoKlink's Playlist Manager app to save them).

Andre

Well, obviously going across devices I would lose settings.  (Well, ok, I suppose I could try to restore via TitaniumBackup, but that doesn't seem worth the effort.)  Actually, the switch to the alpha version should obviously have lost all settings anyway since it isn't technically the same app.

However, you still lead me towards the answer it seems.  So one thing I've kept all this time was the "albumart.pamp" files that Poweramp was placing in folders.  I didn't particularly want to redownload some of the higher resolution covers for some stuff.  My guess is at some point it changed how the files worked or something and they didn't get converted over.  I kept the original files around in the music collection that transferred across devices.  I deleted those files (I probably could have used the in-app "clear album art cache" option in retrospect, but this worked fine) and hit rescan and now it seems album art works again.  It's a bit strange that an update broke this some time ago.  It never occurred to me that these files were the culprit.  Originally I wondered if it had something to do with the fact I was using CyanogenMod on all of my devices, but for once I'm on a stock ROM (since CyanogenMod seems to have abandoned the Z3 Compact as nearly as I can tell -- or if not outright abandoned it may as well be given that 6.x has been out for so long that Google already has preview releases of 7) so I knew for sure then that it couldn't be the culprit (not that I ever believed it, but a lot of developers immediately clam up the moment you admit you're not using a stock ROM.)

Guess you can close this thread if you'd like.  If anyone else runs into the same problem, hopefully they'll run across this in a search.

Strange. I still have quite a few of the old .pamp files lurking in my folders (they are basically just JPGs with a modified extension) and although Poweramp no longer uses them, it doesn't stop the rest of the album art system from working. Glad you got it sorted anyway!

Andre

Bear in mind that every one of these came from before that update where everything broke.  So my guess is how it stored the data changed at some point or other.  I didn't really look at them in much detail, but I did notice one had a date from 2012, so that's how old these files are apparently.

Well, I'm back.  I was wrong.  When I did that before album art started showing up again in most things, but now it's suddenly gone again.  This time I went into the settings under album art and hit the clear cache option, but to no avail.  I still see no album art within Poweramp itself.  I confirmed that things with embedded images were failing to show them even.

Yeah, like I said, I'm on it now in fact.  So, paging through, I get some album art again now.  It seems almost like there's some factor involved like it not liking certain sorts of album art.  Unfortunately, I use shuffle, so I can't go back and forgot what I had it on with no art.  I'll have to go through later when I have time to try to figure out which files seemed to not work.  Or perhaps manually clearing the cache makes it start working again but only temporarily.  I think I did download album art for an album or two last time.

Archived