Create a Playlist

sadmustang

You can also multi-select if you want to add several songs at the same time rather than adding them one-by-one which can get a bit laborious. In any view that shows the songs you want, press Menu > Add to Playlist and select the songs you want, then press the bottom-middle button to add them to either an existing playlist or create a new one.

Andre

• 3 years later...

Playlists can only contain songs that are already included in Poweramp's music Library. So you can build a playlist of classical music, but only if that music is in the main Library.

What's needed is a way to restrict certain folders or genres from being included in Shuffled playback, which is a quite longstanding request.

Andre

• 2 years later...

I'm trying to add music to a playlist that I created but when I long click on a song, "Add to Playlist" is not listed as an option. The choices are "At Start", "Queue", "Play Next", "Delete", "Share", "Info/Tags", and "Album Art". I'm using purchased version "build-957-bundle-play [957004-fc6ea6fb]. Full Version. 64 bit."

Also, I'm assuming that Poweramp updates automatically since I see no place to check for updates.

@Randalllll You have changed the '+Playlist' icon mode to 'Insert at Start' at some point, instead of the default 'At End'. Long-press on the 'At Start' icon to see the choices, and change the mode back.

Poweramp does update to new stable releases via the Play Store automatically, but if you set it to allow Beta releases too (or simply download the latest build from here on the official website) you can get build 967 which now shows the modified icons in a more user-understandable way (you are not the first to have been a bit confused by the modified icon design omitting the word 'Playlist'). The same applies to the functionality of the '>>Queue' icon by the way.

Andre

• 6 months later...
On 9/1/2016 at 11:54 PM, andrewilley said:

You can also multi-select if you want to add several songs at the same time rather than adding them one-by-one which can get a bit laborious. In any view that shows the songs you want, press Menu > Add to Playlist and select the songs you want, then press the bottom-middle button to add them to either an existing playlist or create a new one.

Andre

Hello!

I have Builds 934-9239: and im unable to update it further on this phone for certain reasons.

I cannot add any further playlists by pressing + cause instead it simply takes the highlighted song and throw this song randomly into one of the existing playlists

instead of creating a new playlist that it does in version 971.976 where i on the other hand have 0 other playlists present, as you can see im having having 7 playlist

is above that a limit in this old version? or why does it refuse, maybe its this mess with having to grant access again?

Screenshot_20221011-102003.thumb.jpg.cb0af924e5d4dee1ce78025bd0860f34.jpg
@Randalllll

You have changed the '+Playlist' icon mode to 'Insert at Start' at some point, instead of the default 'At End'. Long-press on the 'At Start' icon to see the choices, and change the mode back.

Poweramp does update to new stable releases via the Play Store automatically, but if you set it to allow Beta releases too (or simply download the latest build from here on the official website) you can get build 967 which now shows the modified icons in a more user-understandable way (you are not the first to have been a bit confused by the modified icon design omitting the word 'Playlist'). The same applies to the functionality of the '>>Queue' icon by the way.

Andre

I understand this description can be related to my problem somehow? but i dont understand :) i would need easier English

Regards Kloppstock

Edited by Kloppstock

Build 934 was the first release to include the new option which allowed the '+Playlist' and '>>Queue' buttons to insert the songs in a shuffled manner. This can be controlled using the 'Insert Position' option in Settings=>Library=>Queue or Settings=>Library=>Playlists. You can also change the inserting modes by long-pressing on the '+Playlist' or '>> Queue' buttons in the song selection menu.

To add the songs that you have selected into an existing playlist, just tap the playlist name in the screenshot that you included in your post. To create a new playlist for the songs to go into, tap the '+' button at the top-right of that screen and give it a name.

But if there is any way you can install a more recent build (APK files of Poweramp can be easily downloaded from the website Download page) then the functionality will be a lot more polished.

Andre

17 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Build 934 was the first release to include the new option which allowed the '+Playlist' and '>>Queue' buttons to insert the songs in a shuffled manner. This can be controlled using the 'Insert Position' option in Settings=>Library=>Queue or Settings=>Library=>Playlists. You can also change the inserting modes by long-pressing on the '+Playlist' or '>> Queue' buttons in the song selection menu.

To add the songs that you have selected into an existing playlist, just tap the playlist name in the screenshot that you included in your post. To create a new playlist for the songs to go into, tap the '+' button at the top-right of that screen and give it a name.

But if there is any way you can install a more recent build (APK files of Poweramp can be easily downloaded from the website Download page) then the functionality will be a lot more polished.

Andre

On 7/18/2023 at 1:21 PM, andrewilley said:

@Randalllll You have changed the '+Playlist' icon mode to 'Insert at Start' at some point, instead of the default 'At End'. Long-press on the 'At Start' icon to see the choices, and change the mode back.

Andre

1: Found playlist Insert option, its set to "Add to end", i have no idea what that means, but i can conclude that with that setting when pressing + on an highlighted song it doesn't create any new playlist that i can give a name, it does what i described in the previous post  what shall i change?

2: I cant get internet working on this damaged smartphone that now works as my audio player, but i can however download APK files of Poweramp to my internet smartphone (but with a damaged audio input instead so i cant use Poweramp on that unit :)) and then move that installer onto the storage of the music

smartphone that have working Poweramp, but since the unit dont have internet and verification possibilities, it might not accept the new version as a full version?

Edited by Kloppstock

'Add to End' simply means that when you use the '+Playlist' button from the menu, all of the currently ticked songs will be added at the end of whatever existing playlist you choose in the next screen. Of course, if you decide to create a New playlist for the songs (using the "+" icon at the top-right of the selection screen) it makes no difference, as the new playlist will only contain those chosen songs anyway.

I don't think installing a new update via an APK file requires a re-validation of an existing saved licence, but it's probably worth waiting for input from @maxmp to confirm this first just to be safe.

Andre

23 hours ago, andrewilley said:

'Add to End' simply means that when you use the '+Playlist' button from the menu, all of the currently ticked songs will be added at the end of whatever existing playlist you choose in the next screen. Of course, if you decide to create a New playlist for the songs (using the "+" icon at the top-right of the selection screen) it makes no difference, as the new playlist will only contain those chosen songs anyway.

I don't think installing a new update via an APK file requires a re-validation of an existing saved licence, but it's probably worth waiting for input from @maxmp to confirm this first just to be safe.

Andre

1: So this settings doesn't affect the problem, that is why i can't create any new playlists in Builds 934-9239, you dont have any ideas what's wrong?

I bett if i remove all 6 playlist so it cant choose a playlists to throw the song into, i will probably force PA to create a new playlist, but its risky business without   internet, i might not be able to reload my playlists easily if removing them doesnt help

2: Damn, i need a file explorer to be able to install an apk file, and i need internet access to able to install the apk.file explorer

I'm surprised that any phone does not have at least a basic built-in file explorer (e.g. Samsung has 'My Files'). But you can sideload apps directly via a USB cable from a computer using the ADB system, with the command line "adb install file.apk". See https://www.makeuseof.com/install-apps-via-adb-android/ for full instructions. Install a file explorer first, and then you can install other apps using that locally on the phone later.

The Add to Playlist functionality has not changed dramatically since build 934 though. You clearly are getting as far as the screen where you can either select one of your existing playlists, or press '+' to create a new one (you show this in your screenshot posted on Thursday). What happens when you press '+', as you should then be prompted to give a name for the new playlist?
image.png

image.png

Andre

@maxmp The question was if they update using an APK file (copied over to the now non-networked device), will installing it over an already validated version of Poweramp trigger a reauthentication requirement, or will the currently validated licence continue to work?

Andre

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2024 at 12:17 AM, andrewilley said:
On 2/7/2024 at 1:52 PM, maxmp said:

@Kloppstock as for 2, either working Play (which requires working internet) for Play edition or just internet connection (for the -uni- web edition) is required for unlocking Poweramp - there is no offline solution. Thanks!

I'm surprised that any phone does not have at least a basic built-in file explorer (e.g. Samsung has 'My Files'). But you can sideload apps directly via a USB cable from a computer using the ADB system, with the command line "adb install file.apk". See https://www.makeuseof.com/install-apps-via-adb-android/ for full instructions. Install a file explorer first, and then you can install other apps using that locally on the phone later.

The Add to Playlist functionality has not changed dramatically since build 934 though. You clearly are getting as far as the screen where you can either select one of your existing playlists, or press '+' to create a new one (you show this in your screenshot posted on Thursday). What happens when you press '+', as you should then be prompted to give a name for the new playlist?
image.png

image.png

Andre

Thanks to what you wrote about the lack of a file viewer i recalled today that in settings it exists "settings/storage

and it had a build in file explorer that could launch the apk installer with version 978, and it installed, it said "initializing" forever (searching for an  internet connection)

but i just minimized that window and it was then possible to go around and into the Player, so maxmp was wrong ;) i think, at least it have not yet promted me to re-register

The surprising sh*t is that problem Nr 1 remains in the updated version

I take a song from "all songs" or "recently added" and press +

and it will not offer me to create the playlist no, it will just place the song inside

the first playlist even though i have not picked it

nej.jpg.e83faa43e75fe1e6a2bdb4c43a95f378.jpg

On 2/4/2024 at 1:17 AM, andrewilley said:

image.png

image.png

Andre

`Did i do it correct judged on my latest picture and description?

I can't understand quite how the sequence you describe can occur. Could you do the following to send an error log:

1) Select any song by long-pressing on it in some song list.
2) The selected song should then be shown as ticked, with various option icons along the bottom of the screen.
3) Tap the '+Playlist' icon.
4) You should then see a screen (which you posted a screenshot of in your last message) with a list of existing playlist names, and a '+' icon in the top-right. Tap on the '+' Icon.
5) This is where you should see a text-box ready to enter the name for a new playlist.
6) If that doesn't happen and the song is instead placed into one of your existing playlists, please could you create a log as follows: Go into PA Settings=>Get Support=>Send Log. Tap 'Send' and in your email app send the log data to gpmaxmpz [at] gmail.com for testing, mentioning this thread as reference.

Andre

On 2/18/2024 at 11:54 PM, andrewilley said:

I can't understand quite how the sequence you describe can occur. Could you do the following to send an error log:

1) Select any song by long-pressing on it in some song list.
2) The selected song should then be shown as ticked, with various option icons along the bottom of the screen.
3) Tap the '+Playlist' icon.
4) You should then see a screen (which you posted a screenshot of in your last message) with a list of existing playlist names, and a '+' icon in the top-right. Tap on the '+' Icon.
5) This is where you should see a text-box ready to enter the name for a new playlist.
6) If that doesn't happen and the song is instead placed into one of your existing playlists, please could you create a log as follows: Go into PA Settings=>Get Support=>Send Log. Tap 'Send' and in your email app send the log data to gpmaxmpz [at] gmail.com for testing, mentioning this thread as reference.

Andre

I just wanna add that i have a theory that i must delete 1 playlist to make room for 1 new, however im failing to delete my backuped playlist

from inside! of the player ( i have already removed it physical from the SD-card) cause deleting requires granting acces, when choosing SD card and press ok "acces granted" but it doesnt remove the playlist, i see it as its being reincarnated upon execution.

Is this normal?

Huge problems to send the report though, cause it must be send with G-mail and it cant make a draft nor send it cause i have no internet on the unit

To be able to instead copy and paste the error text to a document (Notepad and keep app) also requires internet to save a text

Edited by Kloppstock

@Kloppstock There is no need to delete any old playlists before creating a new one, you can have pretty much as many as you like.

Deleting an internal playlist (i.e. one without an .M3U or similar extender) requires no permissions.

Deleting a file-based (M3U, etc) does require access permission, but since any such playlists would have been stored within your already-accessible music folders (they wouldn't have been scanned otherwise) that should not require any new permissions. 

When you try to send a log, yes you would need to have some sort of email handing app available. But even if you don't have internet access on the device in order to send it directly, you could still copy the resulting text to the clipboard, and then paste it back into a blank text file in a text editor app. Then copy that file to somewhere that does have proper email access.

Andre