Jump to content
Poweramp
Joe Gent

Shuffle not rotating through all songs

Recommended Posts

Poweramp v3 shuffle is just an another (hidden) sorting order. It's permanently stored in the tracks database and Poweramp can't just plain skip shuffled tracks - no any such code/logic exists.

Due to unusual shuffle modes, there is a confusion for users coming from/used to other players, where usually just single shuffle mode (shuffle all) exists, but Poweramp supports those extra shuffle modes from v1 and I don't think we want to remove them now))

Poweramp will reset shuffle (reshuffle the hidden sorting order field in database) in a few cases like:

- changing shuffle modes
- selecting other track from lists
- deleting/reordering or otherwise changing tracks in the database
- re-scanning, causing changes to tracks database

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, maxmp said:

Poweramp v3 shuffle is just an another (hidden) sorting order. It's permanently stored in the tracks database and Poweramp can't just plain skip shuffled tracks - no any such code/logic exists.

Due to unusual shuffle modes, there is a confusion for users coming from/used to other players, where usually just single shuffle mode (shuffle all) exists, but Poweramp supports those extra shuffle modes from v1 and I don't think we want to remove them now))

Poweramp will reset shuffle (reshuffle the hidden sorting order field in database) in a few cases like:

- changing shuffle modes
- selecting other track from lists
- deleting/reordering or otherwise changing tracks in the database
- re-scanning, causing changes to tracks database

What you are saying may be true but the fact is that shuffle worked perfectly before the update, now it doesn't at all. Has nothing to do with "other players". I've used Poweramp daily for 2 years and through many updates, never any problems with shuffle modes... until now. Seriously considering looking for a new player as this has been broken since the update and still has not been fixed. "If it's not broken, don't fix it". Instead Poweramp took something not broken, and broke it. I like some of the new features and the swiping to navigate the library is awesome but I need my damn shuffle!! LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I and community will continue the testing, and may be something will show up regarding shuffle - to fix something, the problem should be reproducible. Thanks for the feedback.

PS As I can see, your original complaint was about Playlists shuffle - this was broken in 793, and fixed already in dev. builds. Will be in the next published build as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, maxmp said:

I and community will continue the testing, and may be something will show up regarding shuffle - to fix something, the problem should be reproducible. Thanks for the feedback.

PS As I can see, your original complaint was about Playlists shuffle - this was broken in 793, and fixed already in dev. builds. Will be in the next published build as well.

I am on 793 so it's great to hear that the playlist shuffle will be fixed. Thank you for the information!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, maxmp said:

Poweramp v3 shuffle is just an another (hidden) sorting order. It's permanently stored in the tracks database and Poweramp can't just plain skip shuffled tracks - no any such code/logic exists.

Due to unusual shuffle modes, there is a confusion for users coming from/used to other players, where usually just single shuffle mode (shuffle all) exists, but Poweramp supports those extra shuffle modes from v1 and I don't think we want to remove them now))

Poweramp will reset shuffle (reshuffle the hidden sorting order field in database) in a few cases like:

- changing shuffle modes
- selecting other track from lists
- deleting/reordering or otherwise changing tracks in the database
- re-scanning, causing changes to tracks database

Would adding a specific way to re-shuffle be possible?  I used to do it by just re-selecting the same shuffle mode, but this doesn't re-shuffle anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After some testing, I found that playlist shuffle works, but playlist has to be from the same album, but when I tried a playlist with multiple albums, it will play randomly each song for every album in order. For example, Album A is played shuffled, when all tracks from this album have been played, it goes to the Next Album but The Problem is that it doesn't shuffle the playlist as whole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, superluig164 said:

Would adding a specific way to re-shuffle be possible?  I used to do it by just re-selecting the same shuffle mode, but this doesn't re-shuffle anymore.

Currently, clicking cover in main screen and immediately clicking that track in list will force reshuffle. Changing shuffle modes works as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, maxmp said:

Currently, clicking cover in main screen and immediately clicking that track in list will force reshuffle. Changing shuffle modes works as well.

Yes but it restarts the song, sometimes I just want to reshuffle without restarting the song (like if I'm playing music with friends.)  I use the "next track" info at the bottom to see what's coming next and reshuffle until I find something they'll like.  I have a lot of songs so it's hard to choose but doing it this way is really easy and unintrusive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tested current dev build and changing shuffle mode definitely reshuffles (and the next track meta info also changes), though, I'm not sure if this works for 793 build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, maxmp said:

I tested current dev build and changing shuffle mode definitely reshuffles (and the next track meta info also changes), though, I'm not sure if this works for 793 build.

Does selecting the same shuffle mode work?  (like just opening the menu and selecting the same mode) cause that's what I used to do so it's muscle memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, g6lg said:

After some testing, I found that playlist shuffle works, but playlist has to be from the same album, but when I tried a playlist with multiple albums, it will play randomly each song for every album in order. For example, Album A is played shuffled, when all tracks from this album have been played, it goes to the Next Album but The Problem is that it doesn't shuffle the playlist as whole.

Yeah, and for me that's a problem as most of my playlists contain dozens of albums from my library. Even tried recreating the playlists in 793 and shuffle still will not work. Hopefully this is fixed in the next release, I don't want to go back to 703...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The shuffle button only shuffle songs once. After that whatever how I press the shuffle button, it plays with the same order. 

(The shuffle button I'm using is in and at the top of the playlist screen. )

The shuffle button only shuffle songs once. After that whatever how I press the shuffle button, it plays with the same order. 

(The shuffle button I'm using is in and at the top of the playlist screen. )

BTW, I'm currently using "Re-sort, Shuffle" as an alternate method. First, turn off the problematic shuffle function. Then, use the built-in random re-sort function to re-sort the playlist. Now, you can play your pre-shuffled playlist sequencially. 

(I think this only works if you have a playlist. It does not work in "Folder" screen. )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Thu Aug 23 2018 at 4:43 AM, maxmp said:

I tested current dev build and changing shuffle mode definitely reshuffles (and the next track meta info also changes), though, I'm not sure if this works for 793 build.

Sorry, max, for build-793 it does not work. As my previous post said, even with your method 793 still doesn't want to re-shuffle. (for playlist only, others not tested)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Sun Sep 02 2018 at 3:42 AM, placerej said:

Seems to be working now, with the update to 795. ?

Yes. It's working now with build 795. Nice work, max! @maxmp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...