Poweramp
JSY

Why does Poweramp need to verify license through Google Play when Poweramp Unlocker is installed?

@maxmp Quite a lot of users report that they see an issue of PA working normally for a long time but suddenly not working on flights/etc (a number in this thread even, for example http://forum.powerampapp.com/topic/9335-why-does-poweramp-need-to-verify-license-through-google-play-when-poweramp-unlocker-is-installed/?do=findComment&comment=47594 ).

In the FAQ, you state that once a licence has been validated it is never checked again - apart from if the app is reinstalled, the ROM is updated, or the system is reset (by which the assumption is that you mean a full factory reset, not just a regular power-cycle reboot such as would be done routinely during take-off of a flight for example). That's what I've been telling users anyway, but it doesn't always seem to be the way it works out there in the real world. There would appear to be too many reports of this happening inexplicably for everyone to be wrong. Could you perhaps clarify what you mean by never checked again?

Andre

12 hours ago, maxmp said:

Poweramp just have huge "grace period" i.e. time it continues to work despite license check failed by Play. Other apps will fail immediately, but Poweramp allows app usage even if license can't be checked at the moment.

Exept for this and permanent license storage there is no difference vs standard Play license checking, and this can be only changed in the way of tightening/reducing the grace period. (By default Play asks to recheck license every few days.)

All the cases with "license failed in airplane mode" that was investigated shown that given customers had no valid license at all (refunded, cancelled by google, or card declined, etc.) Poweramp still continues to work in this case, but fails to do the second check (within 24 hours from purchase), and license checking is continued until grace period ends (can be weeks for infrequent player usage). No connection means checking can't happen and error is shown earlier.

This approach works well for users with the valid license, but unfortunatelly, is less friendly to users without valid license, and I'll try to change that by reducing the grace timeouts and showing the error earlier in next Poweramp releases. 

Excuse me, but not all of the cases with "license failed in airplane mode" happen because of invalid licenses!  I paid for a license and have this problem every time I fly.  Why not just accept or believe that your program has an issue and try to fix it, instead of blaming the customers that have purchased your product?

21 hours ago, maxmp said:

All the cases with "license failed in airplane mode" that was investigated shown that given customers had no valid license at all (refunded, cancelled by google, or card declined, etc.) Poweramp still continues to work in this case, but fails to do the second check (within 24 hours from purchase), and license checking is continued until grace period ends (can be weeks for infrequent player usage). 

I just checked my email, I paid for my licence in 2013. Yet, I have still had a number of cases where the app quit on me midflight. I reinstalled app and unlocker after every incidence, and then it went wrong again. Recently I seem to've been lucky with the check timing. I find it hard to believe that every single case you've looked at was due to lack of valid licence.

Olaf

11 hours ago, maxmp said:

@XrayDoc88 Let's try to check your license - just PM me with your google account - I'll check shortly. Thanks!

I just tried to send you a message.  When I clicked submit, it said "maxmp cannot receive messages".

I'll add myself to the "great app but super frustrated" list. PA worked great for years. Three weeks ago I was on a motorcycle trip using my old  no cell plan Droid phone bluetoothed to my helmet comm when the music quit. That was the first time I had the license fail issue. Followed the reconnect instructions and all was good for a few uses until today. As others have said,  I paid for this and shouldn't need to be connected ever again. Love the app except for this frustration.

Have experienced this app failure multiple times and all failures had this is common:  Default for Google Play is to access via Wifi (internet) only (i.e. mobile data restricted) / Wifi not enabled (at the time of occurrence) / After app has been running for some time, rapidly advance to next song ~15 times w/o any song actually starting to play / get some 'file' related error / app fails with license validation.
Occurs while out on long bike rides and results in resorting to default music player.  This bug should garmer much more attention than it does given the age of this particular thread.

Very good app but would not recommend, and shouldn't be marketed without at least a disclaimer, until this app-disabling bug is resolved. @maxmp

poweramp failure.png

poweramp license.png

On 6/11/2018 at 7:46 PM, bee46 said:

Have experienced this app failure multiple times and all failures had this is common:  Default for Google Play is to access via Wifi (internet) only (i.e. mobile data restricted) / Wifi not enabled (at the time of occurrence) / After app has been running for some time, rapidly advance to next song ~15 times w/o any song actually starting to play / get some 'file' related error / app fails with license validation.
Occurs while out on long bike rides and results in using default music player.  This bug should garmer much more attention than it does given the age of this particular thread.

Very good app but would not recommend, and shouldn't be marketed without at least a disclaimer, until this app-disabling bug is resolved.

poweramp failure.png

poweramp license.png

This, in much more comprehensible language than I could create, is exactly the issue for me. Any hope for a solution Max?