Why does Poweramp need to verify license through Google Play when Poweramp Unlocker is installed?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, maxmp said:

All the cases with "license failed in airplane mode" that was investigated shown that given customers had no valid license at all (refunded, cancelled by google, or card declined, etc.) Poweramp still continues to work in this case, but fails to do the second check (within 24 hours from purchase), and license checking is continued until grace period ends (can be weeks for infrequent player usage). 

I just checked my email, I paid for my licence in 2013. Yet, I have still had a number of cases where the app quit on me midflight. I reinstalled app and unlocker after every incidence, and then it went wrong again. Recently I seem to've been lucky with the check timing. I find it hard to believe that every single case you've looked at was due to lack of valid licence.

Olaf

I'll add myself to the "great app but super frustrated" list. PA worked great for years. Three weeks ago I was on a motorcycle trip using my old  no cell plan Droid phone bluetoothed to my helmet comm when the music quit. That was the first time I had the license fail issue. Followed the reconnect instructions and all was good for a few uses until today. As others have said,  I paid for this and shouldn't need to be connected ever again. Love the app except for this frustration.

• 3 weeks later...

Have experienced this app failure multiple times and all failures had this is common:  Default for Google Play is to access via Wifi (internet) only (i.e. mobile data restricted) / Wifi not enabled (at the time of occurrence) / After app has been running for some time, rapidly advance to next song ~15 times w/o any song actually starting to play / get some 'file' related error / app fails with license validation.
Occurs while out on long bike rides and results in resorting to default music player.  This bug should garmer much more attention than it does given the age of this particular thread.

Very good app but would not recommend, and shouldn't be marketed without at least a disclaimer, until this app-disabling bug is resolved. @maxmp

poweramp failure.png

poweramp license.png

On 6/11/2018 at 7:46 PM, bee46 said:

Have experienced this app failure multiple times and all failures had this is common:  Default for Google Play is to access via Wifi (internet) only (i.e. mobile data restricted) / Wifi not enabled (at the time of occurrence) / After app has been running for some time, rapidly advance to next song ~15 times w/o any song actually starting to play / get some 'file' related error / app fails with license validation.
Occurs while out on long bike rides and results in using default music player.  This bug should garmer much more attention than it does given the age of this particular thread.

Very good app but would not recommend, and shouldn't be marketed without at least a disclaimer, until this app-disabling bug is resolved.

poweramp failure.png

poweramp license.png

This, in much more comprehensible language than I could create, is exactly the issue for me. Any hope for a solution Max?

• 2 weeks later...

I have this same problem with my Moto G.  If I'm on a plane, or just the other day, on a ferry and out of wifi range, I will suddenly get a failed verification notice and Poweramp shuts down.  I looked in Poweramp settings and it showed the purchase as Verified.  I also sent an email to Poweramp about this and got no reply.  This is really annoying as I like to listen to music on planes and traveling.  If there isn't a fix to this I will have to find another music app.  Any recommendations?  I also would like my money back!!

For those interested:

Here's what I am using:

Droid 3, Android 2.3.4, Poweramp 2.0.10 build-588-play

Here's the answer:

Google quit supporting Android 2.3 devices so you may want to download older Play version or use newer device.

So how do I download an older version of Play?

5 hours ago, slayman said:

Droid 3, Android 2.3.4, Poweramp 2.0.10 build-588-play

Ah, you didn't mention that. Yes, that version of Android is long-obsolete now, and Play Store updates don't always work so well with it. You could try reverting the Play Store back to the original factory installed version (i.e. Uninstall Updates in the App Info or App Manager page for the Play Store in your device's Settings pages)

Andre

2 hours ago, andrewilley said:

You could try reverting the Play Store back to the original factory installed version (i.e. Uninstall Updates in the App Info or App Manager page for the Play Store in your device's Settings pages)

This might not be very useful.  The Play app will always update itself, regardless of its "auto update" setting.  Here's one possible hack I found to get around this.

I stopped using Poweramp because of this intolerable licensing glitch, but I keep checking this forum to see if a real solution is offered.

This licence verification just ruined my day, I lost my productivity in work, I back read the replies, nothing works, I'm away from home, I wasted data by re-installing the trial and the Unlocker, i also upgraded to beta v3, i tried the restart, i tried everything said in the replies, still can't verified. I'm using Samsung Galaxy S8, SM-G950FD, with the latest Oreo update, G950FXXU2CRF7/G950FOXM2CRF7/
G950FXXU2CRF1

There's no way to uninstall the Google play update on my phone, it updates by itself silently.

?

Current devices should be fine (e.g. Oreo ROMs) with latest Play Store, it's only very old Android version which have issues with the latest Play updates. If the information in the FAQ at http://support.powerampapp.com/knowledgebase/articles/323557-is-internet-connection-required doesn't help in your case, please email poweramp.maxmpz@gmail.com with your device and purchase details.

Andre

On 6/11/2018 at 6:46 PM, bee46 said:

Occurs while out on long bike rides and results in resorting to default music player.  This bug should garmer much more attention than it does given the age of this particular thread.

Very good app but would not recommend, and shouldn't be marketed without at least a disclaimer, until this app-disabling bug is resolved. @maxmp

poweramp failure.png

poweramp license.png

Update:  I did contract the developers @ Poweramp.maxmpz@gmail.com and received a prompt reply from Alex.  The first suggestion was to delete and reinstall the unlocker.  Of course this is what I have done in the past each time the app fails with the licence check and so made this known.  The follow up was to uninstall the unlocker and the trial version and reinstall from their website as opposed to google play and then follow up with the unlocker.  It was the same rev of app, so not sure what if anything will be different, but shall see.

Will report back if issue reoccurs and admittedly, I have little faith that the suggestions will have resolved the issue.  Even if so, it is a considerable inconvenience and the app bug should be correctly resolved with an update.