Removing folders from Library without removing songs from playlists?

roseyhead

I have a ton of songs by different artists in one folder on my SD card and all in a folder-based playlist but they're seriously clogging up my Artists list. If I remove this folder from the folder scan it removes them from my Artist list but also clears out my playlist. I Don't need to see these songs anywhere other than in my playlist. Is there anything I can do about this?

If i understand you correctly, you just want to preserve the playlist, not play it. You can do this by exporting it as a m3u playlist. This will create a text file which holds the full path to the tracks. Unless you put all the songs on the playlist back in the same location, this m3u playlist will not be of any use though.

In general, it is a good idea to export your Poweramp playlists to back them up.

No, I do want to listen to it too which is the problem. I'd hoped I could just exclude those folders from the scanner after adding them to the playlist but it seems like it removes them from there if it can't see the files, whether they're there or not.

I've exported the playlist as m3u and removed the folder from the media scanner but my playlist now sees 0 songs.  Add the folder back in and the playlists show all the songs correctly. Am I doing it wrong somehow?

To be clear, my end goal is to see these songs in library view under Playlists but not under Albums, Artists etc. Does that make sense?

The tracks will show under other categories as the mp3 tags on each track are used to index your music. I do not think you can suppress that.  What you could do is edit the tags on all those tracks and change the album and artist tags to the same text. This would give you only one entry for that value in artist or album view.

To appear in a Playlist, a track must first be in Poweramp's library. Removing it from the library (for example by removing that folder from the scanable locations) will also make it inaccessible via playlists. Sorry, there's really no way around that one (other than by removing the tags entries from the files you don't want to see in your Artists view, so they only show up as an Unknown Artist group).

Andre

Archived