Chromecast Audio support

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 8:51 PM, finden42 said:

Yeah I agree with this. Definitely would like to see Chromecast support. 

On Sunday, June 26, 2016 at 3:14 PM, Xinner said:

This is something that I too really would like to see in Poweramp, so I am glad to hear it is planned! Keep up the good work!

+1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy to see this is on the planned do to list! 

+1

Can I ask tho, will it only be for Chromecast? Could it be general cast? I'm not sure I'm explaining myself properly, but at home we have a Chromecast on one TV, but our mostly used TV doesn't need a Chromecast. We can use YouTube and Netflix via the Sony Blu-ray player which has internet access. So in the future will I possibly be able to cast Poweramp thru that, or only thru Chromecast?

Personally, I think DLNA is pretty important and should be prioritised way above all else.

Poweramp is my player of choice because the EQ and tone control is so good. I can't see how any other feature of the app makes it significantly better than the competition. Third-party equalizers that can shape output from Google Music and other sources are really poor, and the built-in equaliser provided by DSub is not in the same universe. Furthermore, I don't want to fill up my 128Gb SD card with music. It's too difficult to select albums from a very large collection, and it takes too long to re-sync whenever I want to refresh auto-playlist content. Streaming is the best solution, because I am then not limited by what I can fit on a 128Gb card which already needs to store photos, videos and other application content.

Poweramp should be a one-stop shop for playing music on Android. In its present form it's a genuinely great player, but it rarely gets used on any of my devices. For me, and I suspect for many people, it's Google Play on the road and DSub or Mediamonkey at home.

Steve

1 hour ago, rockportrait said:

Personally, I think DLNA is pretty important and should be prioritised way above all else.

Streaming is the best solution, because I am then not limited by what I can fit on a 128Gb card which already needs to store photos, videos and other application content.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that (initially at least) any DLNA support will be as an output method only (like Chromecast) rather than to allow streaming of music from external sources to play back on your phone.

Andre

That's sad to hear. :-( I think that playing local smartphone files and sending them to external sources seems a bit old-fashioned to me. I thought most of us would have moved on to streaming from internet and DLNA sources by now. Apple Music, Google Play, Pandora etc are pretty much the dominant means of listening to music now, and those of us with decent collections wouldn't want them stored on an easily lost or stolen device - they generally live on a safe media server or hard drive (with backup) at home, don't they? Well, they should.

Fingers crossed that sanity prevails and this lovely app caters to modern music trends.

46 minutes ago, rockportrait said:

I think that playing local smartphone files and sending them to external sources seems a bit old-fashioned to me. I thought most of us would have moved on to streaming from internet and DLNA sources by now.

I know Max's original intention for Poweramp was for it to be a high-end audio player rather than a 'jack of all trades' tool, a goal which he felt was not really compatible with the vagaries of streaming media services - which are often lower quality sources or have poorer bit-rates. Thus PA's design philosophy was to work with a local library of high quality audio files rather than variable/dubious network connected options.

I know that personally whenever I use network-sourced audio or video material, I always download it as a master high quality file (without any DRM limitations) to my local NAS first, and copy over any audio files that I want to hear on my phone. I never play anything on my phone directly from the cloud (or from from the NAS) directly. I do stream video to my main TV straight from the NAS, but that's gigabit-LAN based, within the house.

I don't know if Max intends to change that philosophy, but for the time-being Poweramp is strictly a local file-based player.

Andre

Understood. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, then. I don't know what I want to hear until I am ready to hear it, and even a 128Gb SD card is not large enough to hold all the albums I deem to be "classic" as well as all the songs I rate at 4 or 5. To use Poweramp exclusively, replacing streaming and DLNA audio services, I need to predetermine my music preferences and have a large enough (1TB+) storage facility for them (most of my music is FLAC or highest rez MP3). I then need to keep that facility regularly in sync with my master collection, which takes a long time every time at current USB data transfer rates to a phone. It just doesn't make sense to do any of that if I can access the same music over the LAN or 4G on a great music player.

So, given the known development path, what do you think would be the ideal solution for me?

Steve

At the moment there is no obvious solution. If you cannot fit all of your music on a locally attached memory add-on to your device (either SD Card or USB) there is no facility for the library to handle non-attached storage (either on your own LAN via wireless router or cloud-based). Sadly I don't think it is likely to happen any time soon either, certainly the dev has given no indication that he plans to do that anyway.

Andre

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

i like the idea of streaming to (my) chromecast audio. its a device with a high end dac thats capable of streaming hq music. i have it configured for full spectrum .

but with the music olayers that i have on my note4 there's no player thats near the kwality as Poweramp. i use flac files directly kopied from lp ed.. the diference is huge. i stream in my car by bleutooth. 

when i use Poweramp it is far the best sound i can stream to bleutooth.

the function for playing audio from nas would be perfect for the soundkwality. i hope that the developer can also made a possibility to stream it. 

• 3 months later...
Cast your audio from your Android device
  1. Connect your Android device to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast Audio or speaker with Chromecast built in.
  2. Open the Google Home app .
  3. In the top-left corner of the home screen, tap Menu > Cast Screen/audio > Cast Screen/audio.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2017 at 1:37 PM, FiB3R said:
Cast your audio from your Android device
  1. Connect your Android device to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast Audio or speaker with Chromecast built in.
  2. Open the Google Home app .
  3. In the top-left corner of the home screen, tap Menu > Cast Screen/audio > Cast Screen/audio.

hi sir, sorry for disturbing, you seem to know a lot about audio, I also have a problem with audio codec. Cupertino has been open from its lossless audio codec (ALAC), ALAC can reduce the amount of memory required for audio files by up to 50% without losing the original recorded fidelity, which is not as lossy as MP3 and AAC, but when I converted my FLAC to ALAC, I failed for known reason, I downloaded a program [Spam portion removed] from a giveaway site, but it called me to set some parameters, such as framerate, I don't know about these parameters,  can you help me? please

• 8 months later...

I've always believed that the Poweramp interface is pretty handy. But how it really is, I realized only after I started listening to music in the car via Chromecast audio. For this, I had to look for another player. And it turned out that managing music through other players - it's just awful. Especially with regard to working with folders (I use only folders, not playlists, artists from tags etc.,).
Therefore, I join those who are waiting for Chromecast support in Poweramp. And I really hope that this feature will still appear in my favorite player. In the meantime, I will have to suffer.

• 7 months later...
On 9/9/2016 at 4:45 AM, andrewilley said:

It is on the dev's to-do list for v3 of Poweramp, he's going to start looking at streaming output devices when he's done with his current work on the updated UI.

Andre

Few years down the road now, loving the new v3 but the support for DLNA streaming seems to be still not present. I keep having to go back to my LG music app that supports it

Archived