PowerAMP MIME Type - Not Registering

cagpop

My office voicemail appears in my email inbox as a .wav attachment. I'd like Poweramp to play these email attachments, but the phone defaults to the stock player, which doesn't like this flavor of .wav.

How can I make Poweramp the default player for all the files types that it supports?

Unfortunately and currently Android uses a mime-type method for associating files which is unlike the way many of us on Windows are used to which is the file extension method. I understand that Android doesn't 'see' file extensions in the way Windows does and it is up to the app (file manager, email etc) to make sure that the mime-type is set correctly.

Your best bet is to use the popular Android file manager app, ASTRO, in where, with ASTRO's settings you can make sure that that particular .wav file you have opens in Poweramp.

Max (the developer) would have to add Poweramp to a list of mime-types if he wants user's Android's to recognize it as a music player app.

Sorry if this doesn't answer your question.

PowerAMP actually registers itself for any audio it supports (so it should be in the selection list), though, I need to verify this for .wav files, they may be not covered by android's "audio/*" mime.

There is a bug in current release which prevents playing from file managers - that one is fixed and the fix will be in the next update.

• 3 months later...

I installed the free version of Poweramp. I downloaded a podcast using Doggcatcher in mp3 format. When I long tap on the downloaded file in Doggcatcher and select "Play in external player" a list of audio players comes up but Poweramp is not one of the listed players. When I install WinAmp it shows up. When I install Mixzing it shows up but Poweramp never does. Does Poweramp register itself with Android as an audio/media player?

When I launch an M3 podcast from DoggCatcher using the external player support, a list of media players is displayed including the stock player and other players I have installed (Mixzing, Winamp). Even though I have Poweramp installed it does not show up in the list. Is this a limitation of the trial version? Samsung Epic 4g. Froyo build EB13.

This actually depends on where do you press to play the file. Poweramp register itself as music file handler and the dialog with Poweramp as alternative player will be shown in File Managers.

Thanks!

I am using Doggcatcher podcaster app. After downloading a podcast in mp3 format, if I tap on the podcast within DoggCatcher I get an option that says "Play using external player...". If I select that I get a list of audio/music players that the system knows about including 3rd party apps that I have installed like WinAmp. But no Poweramp. I expected to see it in the list.

PowerAMP registers itself as handler for supported audio formats. PowerAMP though doesn't share any code with stock android music player as both Mixzing and WinAMp do.

I'm not sure what exactly Doggcatcher uses to find out installed music apps, but I'll investigate that and if it's possible, support for this will be added into the next updates.

Thanks!

Poweramp registers itself as handler for supported audio formats. Poweramp though doesn't share any code with stock android music player as both Mixzing and WinAMp do.

I'm not sure what exactly Doggcatcher uses to find out installed music apps, but I'll investigate that and if it's possible, support for this will be added into the next updates.

Thanks!

Ok. Thanks. I would suspect that Doggcatcher just queries the mime types registered with Android for the downloaded file extension and displays a list of them if one is not set as the default.

I did notice that Poweramp does show up in the list of players when I click on a .wav file from Astro File Manager so it seems that it's either not registered for mp3 files or DoggCatcher does something special to block it.

PowerAMP registers itself as "file" handler for supported file formats. I.e. it will work when you press some song file in some file manager.

It doesn't support "content" and streaming (http://) schemes currently, but this is planned.

"Content" scheme is used, for example, when you open email attachment.

Thanks!

So "Content" support would include having Poweramp be included in the list of audio players when I try and launch an mp3 file from a program such as my podcaster? If so, is there a timeframe on when such a feature will be implemented?

• 4 months later...

Archived