SD card unmounted itself, now all playlists show 0 songs

boatingboater

Some glitch or other stopped my phone from recognising my sdcard, so I remove and reinserted it. All started working, but now all my Poweramp playlists show 0 songs. I really need to recover the playlists somehow, can't find them anywhere. Can't believe the program is so backwards as to wipe hundreds of hours of tune selection for no reason at all, any pointers on where to find them, how to recover them, wtf has happened, would be gratfully received!

thanks very much...

I am afraid it is bad news. When your sdcard was removed, both android and Poweramp rescanned the device and both removed all songs, they could no longer find, from their media databases. After you reinserted the restored sdcard, rescanning picked up the music again and updated the media databases but using different keys. Unless you export your Poweramp (or android) playlists as m3u8 (m3u) there is now way to restore the  playlists. 

Really? This is a terrible design decision! At least a confirmation dialogue before deleting all the user's hard work. Far to easy for it to happen accidentally. Oh well, thanks very much for the info, shame I was using this method to sift through tens of gigs of music without any awareness of how precarious that data was.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Ray Cawley said:

Android did an upgrade - now all my Playlists are gone!  This is a TERRIBLE flaw.

Agreed, Android should NOT change file system paths on an upgrade, it would screw up anything using absolute paths. (I assume it was a Marshmallow update?)

Andre

Yes the marshmallow update changed the name of the SD Card from "extSdCard" to "SDCard", you have to remove the old path from folders scanned and add the new one and then rescan, all your music will be there but the playlist(s) will not.

It's a good idea to export system-based playlists to files periodically, that way you can recover them easily if Android does something stupid like this (which causes Poweramp to think that all the files it previously scanned have been deleted). Sadly this won't help recover playlists that has already been killed.

Andre

Archived