Marshmallow/128GB Cards/64GB Corruption Boundary

WHS

I have a PNY 128 GB SD Card formatted as external in Marshmallow--in an HTC One M8.

I have a directory of music on a PC. Recently the size of this directory exceeded 59GB (64GB).

I keep the SD Card on my phone synced to this directory with SMB Sync or FolderSync ---top rated apps.

As soon as the PC directory got bigger than 64 GB, files transferred to the SD Card in the phone were corrupted and Power Amp said "Failed to Play File"

I verified that the files were corrupted by comparing MD5 checksums on the SD Card files versus the files on the PC.

The SD Card is PNY and can accept more than 64 GB data using Windows and an SD Card reader.

Has anyone seen this?

Well that device is rated for that size of card, so it ought to work. Have you tried re-formatting it on the device (or on a PC) to see if that helps? Of course the card itself could be faulty too. Might be best to ask this sort of question in a support forum for that device though (try http://forum.xda-developers.com/ )

Andre

The card was formatted within android, and works OK with windows.

I have used windows "check for bad sectors" and nothing was reported on the Android-formatted card..

Unfortunately there does not seem to be a utility for android to check sd card physical blocks/sectors whatever (unless you are rooted).

• 1 month later...

My 128GB card works fine and it's 3/4 full (note 3).

This could be a fake sd card, i.e. a 64GB card hacked to look like a 128GB card or just a faulty card.

Test it with h2testw, which fills the card and varifies the data, this will take some time for a 128GB card. A quick test leaving the data currently on the card so h2testw starts after 64GB will also confirm a bad card.

Archived