Folder button, go to last used folder

It would be nice if the folder button could be changed or at least configured to bring the user back to the last used folder whenever the button is used from outside the folder view, while always bringing the user back to the defined root folder if clicked from inside the folder view.

There are various situations, where the lack of this option is pretty annoying, e.g.:

1. Open player

2. Go to folder view, navigate to some subfolder x below your root folder

3. Enqueue a couple of songs while remaining in folder view

4. Hit the Library button to go to the library

5. Go to queue

6. Start first song while remaining in queue list

7. Decide to add another track from the folder view

8. Try to get back to subfolder x.

The back button doesn't help in this case; neither does the folder button, which brings you back to the root folder.

If the folder button would work in the suggested way, in step 8 you would just click it once to get back to the previously used folder and twice if you wanted to get back to the root folder. That would be much more comfortable than the current approach!

Edit: I have suggested something similar before, but this new suggestion is a bit different, so I hope it's not viewed as repost/spam.

• 1 month later...

By far the biggest issue I have with the back button is that in the player it returns you to the homescreen intstead of the library. This is very annoying and counter intuitive in my opinion. The home button already does the same thing! Could you implement options to control the back button behavior or at least make it not return you to the homescreen and to the library or wherever you last where instead.

Thank you!

PowerAMP main "back to library" buttons is mini-display on main screen.

Short press goes to current played list (i.e. folder, if you play from folder), and long press goes to parent list of current played list.

In PowerAMP, back button works in standard android way - it returns your to previous activity (screen). It shouldn't and can't open library activity for you, if previous activity was a home screen, but you can configure PowerAMP to start from Library or folders or last played list - this can be more appropriate to you - just try.

Thanks!

Thank you for the quick response. The back button returns me to the last screen in all other cases except in the player. For example if I choose a song from the library it opens the player and starts playing like it should, however if I then pres back it goes to the home screen and not the library where I last was. This is the issue for me. It should return back to the library but instead it goes to the home screen.

Thank you for the quick response. The back button returns me to the last screen in all other cases except in the player. For example if I choose a song from the library it opens the player and starts playing like it should, however if I then pres back it goes to the home screen and not the library where I last was. This is the issue for me. It should return back to the library but instead it goes to the home screen.

Why do I have an impression that in earlier versions of Poweramp there was an option in the settings for the Back button to go to the home screen? I may be thinking of a different app. In any case, darktwinkle, what you experience is not right Poweramp behavior. I would uninstall it and re-install again.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully it works!

Update: Reinstalling didnt work but erased all my settings so I restored my old version using titanium backup. After installing backup, the back button actually worked as it should for a while.I think this is because I had the start screen set to library. I dont understand what the point of setting the start screen is, whenever I start Poweramp it goes to the player and shows the last song that was playing. Even if I stop the service using a task killer. So it never actually starts to the start screen. I think this may be the root of the back button problem. Is there a way to exit Poweramp so that the next time its started it goes to the set start screen and not the player (other than restoring app+data using titanium)?

Thanks for the advice, hopefully it works!

Update: Reinstalling didnt work but erased all my settings so I restored my old version using titanium backup. After installing backup, the back button actually worked as it should for a while.I think this is because I had the start screen set to library. I dont understand what the point of setting the start screen is, whenever I start Poweramp it goes to the player and shows the last song that was playing. Even if I stop the service using a task killer. So it never actually starts to the start screen. I think this may be the root of the back button problem. Is there a way to exit Poweramp so that the next time its started it goes to the set start screen and not the player (other than restoring app+data using titanium)?

Is it possible that your settings get messed up because of killing the service?

I'd like to get back to the original topic, which is the folder button. The back button is not my concern.

My suggestion was: whenever the folder button is used from outside the folder list bring the user back to the last used folder. If it is clicked from inside the folder list, go to the root folder (as is now always the case when you click the folder button).

I believe this would add extra value to the folder button without confusing users.

Poweramp main "back to library" buttons is mini-display on main screen.

Why shouldn't there be an additional shorter way to get there?

If you are in the queue list and want to get back to the most recently used folder, my solution would require one click on the folder button, and if you wanted to get to the root folder from the queue list, two subsequent clicks in the same spot would be needed. An intuitive and quick solution.

Your approach requires one click to get to the root folder, but two clicks in different spots (player button and mini-display) to get to the most recently used folder. Also to get to the most recently used folder the user needs to click "player" first, when he actually wants to get to a folder and has a folder button in view. That's not intuitive at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived