Cannot find & update playlists via scan

kjulia28

I sync my music between Windows Media Player and my SD card (Sony Xperia Z2 phone), and listen on the phone with Poweramp. I have the unlocked paid version. At the start I was very happy with it, but at some point it stopped being able to find (and so also being able to update) my synced (so created in WMP) playlists.

The only way I have been able to find playlists was to go through Settings > Folders and Library > Import System Playlists. Then it does find the playlists, so I know they're on the device and in the right folder. HOWEVER, going this path means that whenever I update playlists or create new ones on my computer in WMP, I have to re-import, and then I have all the playlists double, and have to manually delete their older versions, and it's getting on my last nerve; this is also such bad functionality that I just think this can't be right. But I've really tried everything I can think of (checked file paths, scan settings; this morning I deleted everything off my SD card and did a fresh re-sync), and I don't know why Poweramp cannot find my playlists in the regular scan. Does anyone have pointers what else I might be doing wrong, or is this a bug? (I googled playlists and Poweramp, but didn't see anything indicating that this was a common problem.)

Yes, the playlist folder is ticked. The playlists are in .pla format, being based on Windows Media Player. (Okay, they are wlp on the computer but turn out .pla on the phone.) Is that a problem? In that case, I don't understand why it was fine when I started using Poweramp, and why it can find the playlists when I go the 'import' route. Also, looking around the forum, Poweramp allegedly supports both pla and wlp formats, so I'm still puzzled...

Should be OK. Try creating a simple .M3U file in that same location (just a text file with a few lines containing full paths pointing to a few music files) and see if that is picked up by a rescan.

Android's music library is a completely separate thing to Poweramp's, although as you have noted Poweramp can import from any system-held playlists.

Andre

Thanks for the pointers; WMP kept giving me trouble so now I copied my entire music library onto the SD card fresh. (Not syncing through WMP, completely copying the whole folder structure.) This included a bunch of .wpl playlists and one .m3u playlist. The deep scan now did pick up on the playlists, though the list of them looked weird with the file extensions included and the note 'not loaded yet'. When I tried to load them, it turned out that Poweramp could find the songs in the playlist for manual playlists, but not for Windows Media Player automatic playlists, where it claimed "0 songs".

(When I did 'import system playlists' again, it gave me the non-automatic playlists looking 'clean', but then I had half of the playlists double again.)

Archived