Bypass internal amplification - is it possible?

Is it, or would it be possible with Poweramp to skip the internal amplifcation provided by the smartphone? so that an external amplifier without DAC would be connected directly to the headphone jack of the smartphone, avoiding a double amplification of the signal, like a line out connection

Without the internal 'amplification' there would be no sound. The DAC needs to create some sort of an analogue signal, and it needs to have some level, and that is an 'amplifier'. Using the DVC setting puts it under Poweramp's control if that helps at all.

Andre

6 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Without the internal 'amplification' there would be no sound. The DAC needs to create some sort of an analogue signal, and it needs to have some level, and that is an 'amplifier'. Using the DVC setting puts it under Poweramp's control if that helps at all.

Andre

Hi, thanks for your reply. Let me ellaborate:

What I would like is to connect a Fiio E6 headphone amplifier to the smartphone. But if I'm not wrong, connecting it to the smartphone jack is not desirable as it would not only not only amplify the signal but also the noise (correct me if I'm wrong ...). What I've heard is that external amplifiers should be connected to "line out" jacks. Take the Fiio X3 as an example, apart of being a player it can act as a DAC+(what I called internal)amplifier or as a "pure" DAC to feed an external amplifier. In the first case you connect the headphones directly to the headphone jack, as you do in a smartphone, and take advantage of the "internal" amplification. In the second case, you connect the dedicated external amplifier to the "line out" jack, then the headphones to the amplifier's headphone jack

As the smartphone does not have a dedicated line out jack, I don't know if with some Poweramp settings it is possible, or would be in the future, simulate this "line out" signal so that it improved the use of headphone amplifiers with smartphones

Or is this what DVC already does in Poweramp? I've realized I have it enabled as that is the default value

If you reduced the boosted gain of the signal then any noise inherent in the final stages of the output might actually seem worse (signal-to-noise having been reduced). You could try reducing the final amp gain at a kernel level though, if you install a new kernel which supports that feature (for which you would need to root your phone first). Otherwise, you could try using a USB DAC with the latest alpha-test build of Poweramp from the forum Download page. See http://www.phonearena.com/news/Android-5.0-Lollipop-supports-USB-DAC-audio-devices-we-go-ears-on_id66399 for some ideas.

However you may find your device already support high-rez audio on its own, see 

Andre

Archived