Jump to content
maxmp

Poweramp alpha-build-703/704

Recommended Posts

Max rarely visits the forums here in person as he found he just spent more time discussing specific tiny points endlessly, or responding to ETA requests ;), rather than spending his time on programming. However comments here are noted.

His current work is on completely rebuilding the user interface's internal code, which is time consuming and still underway. A new test release will be issued once that work is complete, but even I am not privy to when that might occur.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't read through all pages of this thread yet, but wanted to chime in on build 703 on LG V20.  So far, it works well.  What I do miss is the "Cut Silence" option for those tracks that may not be properly encoded as gapless.  On some other audio tracks that I know are truly gapless, there's a very short albeit noticeable gap between track changes in 703.

Edit:  I should mention that all my music is stored on a 128gb class 10 SD card and not on the phone's internal memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, amstel78 said:

Haven't read through all pages of this thread yet, but wanted to chime in on build 703 on LG V20.  So far, it works well.  What I do miss is the "Cut Silence" option for those tracks that may not be properly encoded as gapless.  On some other audio tracks that I know are truly gapless, there's a very short albeit noticeable gap between track changes in 703.

Edit:  I should mention that all my music is stored on a 128gb class 10 SD card and not on the phone's internal memory.

If you have read my post above, I own a G3 and I am experiencing intermittent sound when the screen locks automatically. My music is stored just like yours (mix of mp3s and flacs of various bitrates). Did you have any experience with intermittent playback so far?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, musiclover said:

If you have read my post above, I own a G3 and I am experiencing intermittent sound when the screen locks automatically. My music is stored just like yours (mix of mp3s and flacs of various bitrates). Did you have any experience with intermittent playback so far?

No, I don't experience any issues when the screen is locked and off.  I do notice some strange random pauses or skips when multitasking or switching through different apps. The pause duration is very short though. Tweaking the app priority or buffer size doesn't really help.  I've also experienced Poweramp sometimes pausing entirely on its own, but that behavior has been present on my Note 4 and Android 6.1 with the stable release, and also now my LG V20 with Nougat.  It happens with both wired and BT headphones.  I believe it might be due to an app, or perhaps the always on mic picks up something that causes Poweramp to pause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to change the export settings in PA to use the external SD card rather than built-in memory?  I ask because if the phone needs to be factory reset, how can I restore exported settings if the internal memory is wiped clean?  Of course, I could always email the file to myself before doing so, but it's not a very convenient way of doing things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, amstel78 said:

Is it possible to change the export settings in PA to use the external SD card rather than built-in memory?  I ask because if the phone needs to be factory reset, how can I restore exported settings if the internal memory is wiped clean?  Of course, I could always email the file to myself before doing so, but it's not a very convenient way of doing things.

Not at present, no. You could copy them over to the SD Card after saving though, and then copy them back later to your new device.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, amstel78 said:

No, I don't experience any issues when the screen is locked and off.  I do notice some strange random pauses or skips when multitasking or switching through different apps. The pause duration is very short though. Tweaking the app priority or buffer size doesn't really help.  I've also experienced Poweramp sometimes pausing entirely on its own, but that behavior has been present on my Note 4 and Android 6.1 with the stable release, and also now my LG V20 with Nougat.  It happens with both wired and BT headphones.  I believe it might be due to an app, or perhaps the always on mic picks up something that causes Poweramp to pause.

Thanks. I am using Nova Launcher and I will revert to the LG Home again to see whether it makes any difference. I have not encountered problems with using other apps simultaneously (e.g. internet browsing or Play Store) as long as the screen is on and unlocked. I will keep investigating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Not at present, no. You could copy them over to the SD Card after saving though, and then copy them back later to your new device.

Andre

Got it.  Thanks Andre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until the next iteration of PA is released with LG V20 support, is there any way to disable the resampler?  It's taking my 24bit/96KHz and 192KHz FLAC files and resampling the audio down to 48KHz even though the ESS quad dac is capable of ouputing natively?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, amstel78 said:

Until the next iteration of PA is released with LG V20 support, is there any way to disable the resampler?  It's taking my 24bit/96KHz and 192KHz FLAC files and resampling the audio down to 48KHz even though the ESS quad dac is capable of ouputing natively?

No, the regular Android output modes do not support anything higher than 48k, even though PA is able to read higher files it can only output sound via the regular output stream on your device. Sorry, you'll just need to wait until the next set of drivers is implemented (not sure if that is likely to be in the next test release or not - most of the work at present is going into the new UI).

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andre, I hate to ask because I'm sure it's been done a bajillion times already - but is there a timeline you can share with us regarding any new releases?  Specifically, I'm waiting for hi-res support for the LG V20.  I'm even willing to buy the app gain just to have that capability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, amstel78 said:

Andre, I hate to ask because I'm sure it's been done a bajillion times already - but is there a timeline you can share with us regarding any new releases?

The latest I've heard from Max (a few days ago) is that the rebuilding of the UI is taking rather longer than he anticipated, as in order to maintain compatibility with multiple and future versions of Android he is having to rewrite and redesign everything from scratch (even down to simple text items). He is currently working on the updated material design library views, but he doesn't anticipate anything new being ready for releasing to beta test until (probably) January 2017.

He also indicated that owing to the extra delay he might decide to commit to the first 'official' v3 release build as soon as the UI testing is complete, as it's easy to keep trying to add 'one more thing' (for example Chromecast and DLNA output) which just keeps pushing the release back by another few months. I did mention that there are quite a few new devices which need high rez support, so hopefully some of those at least will make it into the next test build in January (ish).

Once the v3 release is finally official and supported, he can then start to look at adding specific new features without delaying the overall project.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

The latest I've heard from Max (a few days ago) is that the rebuilding of the UI is taking rather longer than he anticipated, as in order to maintain compatibility with multiple and future versions of Android he is having to rewrite and redesign everything from scratch (even down to simple text items). He is currently working on the updated material design library views, but he doesn't anticipate anything new being ready for releasing to beta test until (probably) January 2017.

He also indicated that owing to the extra delay he might decide to commit to the first 'official' v3 release build as soon as the UI testing is complete, as it's easy to keep trying to add 'one more thing' (for example Chromecast and DLNA output) which just keeps pushing the release back by another few months. I did mention that there are quite a few new devices which need high rez support, so hopefully some of those at least will make it into the next test build in January (ish).

Once the v3 release is finally official and supported, he can then start to look at adding specific new features without delaying the overall project.

Andre

Why doesn't Max put those updates here?
I am sure the hardcore community which are all present in this forum would understand things a lot more and won't be so disgruntled if Max kept us updated, even if it's not all good news, every now and then.
It's not the fact it's taking so long, it's the fact that everyone seems to feel this project is abandoned due to no developer comments.
If we got an update every now and then I'm sure people will stay on board and wait for next release more patiently as I'm sure it's going to be a good one...
Just my two cents as I am sure Max already lost a lot of users because they feel nothing is being done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

January? Are you kidding me? The first alpha version was released on January 3. Will the first beta release be published after 1 year? Hope is worth the wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MMG said:

January? Are you kidding me?

As I've said before to your previous rants, please feel free to write your own if you can do it quicker, I'm sure we'd all love to see what you come up with.

Like you I would love for it to be done sooner, but I'm afraid it will take however long it takes.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the updates Andre.  I'll check back again in a few months.

BTW, on Head-Fi, there was mention of an alpha 704 build that did have hi-res support for the V20; or at least it functioned from what I've read.  I've looked on the forums and can't find any trace of the 704 build.  Was it pulled and if so, is there a way I can d/l a copy just to test on my phone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, amstel78 said:

 I've looked on the forums and can't find any trace of the 704 build. 

Erm, it's in this very thread that you've just posted to (see the thread title, and the first post). :)

But it's not for the V20 specifically, it was just a quick fix for some issues which build 703 was having with Android N.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, here's a new one I hadn't come across before.

I got a new phone (OP3) and instead of carrying over my MP3s from my old phone I copied them directly from my PC (in the meantime various programs had added/edited the ID3 of those same files).

After that I found specific tracks missing in the file list because Poweramp had detected the duration as 0:01 and filtered them out as per the 6 sec rule.

Opening them once repaired the discrepancy (I guess it corrected its' own database) but a Full Rescan would return them to the previous value.

 

The weird thing is that it happened seemingly at random, certain tracks from a certain album, all ripped at once would exhibit that behaviour while others from the same album/rip would have their real duration.

 

If that isn't considered a flaw of the player, is there a method/program that can batch "touch" the MP3s' ID3 metadata and correct them all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Feilakas said:

After that I found specific tracks missing in the file list because Poweramp had detected the duration as 0:01 and filtered them out as per the 6 sec rule.

Not sure what messed up your ID3 tags,  but you can turn the ignore short tracks feature off (in Settings > Folders and Library > Ignore Short Tracks) and see if they all scan that way.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2016 at 9:16 PM, amstel78 said:

Thanks for the updates Andre.  I'll check back again in a few months.

BTW, on Head-Fi, there was mention of an alpha 704 build that did have hi-res support for the V20; or at least it functioned from what I've read.  I've looked on the forums and can't find any trace of the 704 build.  Was it pulled and if so, is there a way I can d/l a copy just to test on my phone?

I have Alpha 704 build on my V20 and the Hi-Res Output (Experimental) option is there, but closes and reverts to the OpenSL ES Output which is only 48khz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Using Poweramp alpha3 build-703 and there`s a problem. Rescan entry in Settings/Folders and Library acts as Full rescan entry.

I play all my music files randomly (the setting is "shuffle all files"), they`re in one folder on my SD-card. If I add or delete something from my music folder, I always press rescan in Settings/Folders and Library menu (autoscan is off for energy saving). In GP version rescan results in adding some new files to playback list, e.g., I `ve been listening the 124th track of 345 in general, the widget confirms it, it says 124/345. I add 5 new files and press Rescan - in GP version I see 124/350 and the player shuffles everything except the previously played, but in 703 build I`ll see 1/350 instead and I will listen all of previously listened tracks again. This must happen when you press Full rescan, not Rescan - it`s some kind of bug, I suppose. Max, please fix it. Thank you. 

Phone data:

VERSION.RELEASE: 6.0
BRAND: ulefone
DEVICE: Vienna

MANUFACTURER: ulefone
MODEL: Vienna
OS.VERSION: 3.18.19
BOOTLOADER: unknown
HARDWARE: mt6735
FINGERPRINT: alps/full_wtk6753_65u_m0/wtk6753_65u_m0:6.0/MRA58K/1468989670:user/test-keys
ID: F5B_GQ3028AF2_13E_MM_VIENNA_20160830
TAGS: test-keys
RADIO: MOLY.LR9.W1444.MD.LWTG.MP.V79.P2, 2016/07/11 17:26

771600dba6e4.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Not sure what messed up your ID3 tags,  but you can turn the ignore short tracks feature off (in Settings > Folders and Library > Ignore Short Tracks) and see if they all scan that way.

Andre

Apologies if I wasn't clear, that is indeed how I found the missing tracks and that is also WHEN I found out their duration was erroneously read as 1 second.

I am not really that bothered with the how or the when that happened, I simply wanted to know whether Poweramp could somehow be fortified against such errors and/or, on some advice on a tool that could potentially re-write all the MP3's tags in bulk and correct them.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use YU Yunique 4711 device (with CyanogenMod OS) and use Poweramp music player too for Good base music. Combination of Poweramp music player equalizer and System equalizer gives deep bass in my Philips SHE1405 Earphones. But sometimes it doesn't work.. even MusicFX enabled. don't know why.. anyone tried?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2016 at 2:46 AM, andrewilley said:

Erm, it's in this very thread that you've just posted to (see the thread title, and the first post). :)

But it's not for the V20 specifically, it was just a quick fix for some issues which build 703 was having with Android N.

Andre

Maybe I'm missing something then because when I click the link for 704 in the first post in this thread, it brings me to the same file for 703: Poweramp-alpha-build-703-uni.apk 703/704

EDIT: Never mind!  I must be dense... clicked the D/L link and it gave me two options with one of them being 704.  My apologies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...