how to play albums in "original" order?

merlin666

I have about 1000 albums in folders with more or less descriptive folder and file names so any sorting will depend on the meticulous meta data. For any given artist, I like to play their full catalogue with albums in chronological order and tracks of each album in intended track order. So far the only player I have found to do this is Rocket Player, but it's volume level is so low I don't want to use it any more. So have installed Poweramp which seems to be loaded with many options and features but I can't figure out the basics on just playing the music in it's intended and original way.

I have found some older threads on here under feature request where the solution is to rename files and folders and force the order, but with the large number of folders I'm dealing with that is not an option. So how is it done?

I am sure that Andre will respond on behalf of Poweramp but just in case it is not possible to meet your requirements, my New Playlist Manager app has custom funtionality to create playlist by artist, by year, by track number which would give you what you want. (Unless the artist released more than one album in a single year ??)

There are different sort options for each different library category, and another for sorting the actual songs within each list type (the settings for each category are different). The settings are changed via Menu > List Options at each level.

So for example you could view the library by Artists, then when you drill down to see their Albums you can set that sort order to "By Year", then when you drill down to see the actual songs you could set the sort to "By Track #".

Of course this only works if your tracks are all correctly ID3 tagged. If not, then folder / filename sorting works best and gives you complete control. A batch tag editor (or batch file renamer) would let you do most of the renaming work fairly easily.

Andre

• 3 years later...

Hi Andre,

I've noticed a lot of your answers state to select by track # to be able to listen to a full album from start to finish. I've tried that on heaps of albums and on some it just doesn't work and still shuffles them. Some albums have been purchased and some have been transferred from device to decide over the years that were originally ripped by CD. Any reason why this could be so random?

On 10/27/2019 at 9:16 PM, Nutter said:

Some albums have been purchased and some have been transferred from device to decide over the years that were originally ripped by CD.

Sounds like some of your music is correctly tagged with embedded track numbers, while some is not. You can long-press on any song in PA and select 'Info/Tags' to see exactly what Track# metadata the file actually contains. Then you can either edit it directly within PA song-by-song, or probably a lot more easily in a decent batch tag editor (such as TagScanner on a PC).

Andre

Archived