Requests for Hi-Res Support (please state which build of Poweramp you are using)

1. Moto g5s plus (snapdragon 625)

2. Nougat 7.1.1

2a. Using build 790 (192/24 OpenSL HD) I’m aware of the false reporting in this build.

Edit: Might be worth noting that I skipped straight from the really old Play Store beta to 790 so I don’t know how the audio pipeline checking for HD audio compatibility would have acted on this phone.

3. SoC supports Aqstic

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/625

https://www.qualcomm.com/solutions/mobile-computing/features/aqstic

Listening tests suggest better clarity/better ’definition’ and range(?). Using modified bass and treble eq with emphasized low-end thats smoother, deeper, and dors not muddy or drown out highs but is even more noticible with the mids. No other ’enhancements. Edit 2: To clarify, Sox Resampler along with EQ are the only things enabled. Everything else is off including replaygain and dithering.And no MusicFX.

I know 625/aqstic has been mentioned. Just throwing my experience in. There difference seems apparent. I don’t think its pacebo.

It is important to note that it often initially reports playing through the phone speaker when it isn’t. So you need to make sure the output that is using openSL HD is actually active in settings. I have every other output turned off, and unplugging and reconnecting usually solves this.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Antean said:

1. Moto g5s plus (snapdragon 625)

2. Nougat 7.1.1

2a. Using build 790 (192/24 OpenSL HD) I’m aware of the false reporting in this build.

3. SoC supports Aqstic

Listening tests suggest better clarity/better ’definition’ and range(?). Using modified bass and treble eq with emphasized low-end thats smoother, deeper, and dors not muddy or drown out highs but is even more noticible with the mids. No other ’enhancements.

I know 625/aqstic has been mentioned. Just throwing my experience in. There difference seems apparent. I don’t think its pacebo.

It is important to note that it often initially reports playing through the phone speaker when it isn’t. So you need to make sure the output that is using openSL HD is actually active in settings. I have every other output turned off, and unplugging and reconnecting usually solves this.

Try hi res exp output instead of OpenSL HD. 

USB DAC only.

Should have mentioned I’m using aux/3.5 with powered speakers. Aqstic supposedly has built-in quad DAC so between that and the powered speakers it shouldn’t be an issue should it? No USB DAC(or usb anything to try it). Does the lack of AUX under the experimental HD output mean detection thinks its a no go in build 790?

Edit: went straight from the real old beta to 790 in case you missed my edit in other post. So I’m not familiar with the behavior of the hardware exprimental HD output.

Edit 2: This is straight from the product brief.

Qualcomm Aqstic™
+ Crystal clear VoLTE w/ Ultra HD    Voice (EVS)
+ High fidelity music playback   
 24bit/192kHz
+ Dolby 5.1 support

There is room for it to be misleading but I’m no expert on audio.

39 minutes ago, Antean said:

USB DAC only.

Should have mentioned I’m using aux/3.5 with powered speakers. Aqstic supposedly has built-in quad DAC so between that and the powered speakers it shouldn’t be an issue should it? No USB DAC(or usb anything to try it). Does the lack of AUX under the experimental HD output mean detection thinks its a no go in build 790?

Edit: went straight from the real old beta to 790 in case you missed my edit in other post. So I’m not familiar with the behavior of the hardware exprimental HD  output.

Use latest beta from play store build 709, and in case u have a rooted device, u can verify if high res works or not using this command in terminal 

su

dumpsys media.audio_flinger

And look for direct flag,but in moto g5s difference should be noticeable. Also I use redmi note 4 with same snapdragon 625. 

36 minutes ago, Antean said:

Edit: went straight from the real old beta to 790 in case you missed my edit in other post. So I’m not familiar with the behavior of the hardware exprimental HD  output.

Build 709 is the most recent version in terms of its audio output features (more advanced than 790, particularly in validating whether HD is really available rather than just offering the option anyway in the hopes that it will work). 790 is more of a test of the new user interface, and is actually older than 709.

Andre

I was waiting for a 790 beta. Play store thinks I have 709. I could downgrade, but the 790 thread seemed to imply that, due to library changes, it’s not as simple as uninstalling and reinstalling, but I’m not sure why. I’m going to look back at it now.

Edit :From Max on first post of 790 thread:

"Please make sure you backed up your previous installation, as it's not easily possible to re vert to previous versions due to database format change. "

Any thoughts? Going to search for specifics now.

Edit 2: Just adding that i haven’t rooted this phone. It’s unlocked so I could do it and even put a new rom on it, but the current climate makes me feel safer unrooted, plus stability and things like high res support in PA seem more reliable on stock.

12 minutes ago, Antean said:

I was waiting for a 790 beta.

790 is already a beta. However as it is not feature-complete it's not really suitable for daily use (and thus for daily testing) hence the latest audio code was added to the old (but complete) interface, resulting in build 709. 

To roll back to the earlier fork (with the more up to date audio facilities) I would suggest uninstalling 790 and then installing 709, and allowing PA to rescan your library folders. If you have kept your previously saved Settings or the android data folder, just import them into 709. Playlists are more awkward (unless you have the data folder) and you may need to Export those to M3U(8) files before uninstalling and then allow PA 709 to rescan them into its library. Same goes with non-embedded cover artwork, that will need to be found/downloaded again.

Whether this is worth doing is up to you, you may prefer to just wait until the new audio features are incorporated into the 790 fork, which will happen with the next beta release. 

Andre

Nah. I don’t mind going back to scratch. I was just worried that meant something like leftover bits causing more substantial issues, like it not being able to rescan the library or something. I can deal with a fresh install and playlists. License issues or something more permanent were my worries. Thanks a lot. I’ll report back in a bit.

Well USB DAC is still the only option. Cleared data and cache.  Here is a tidbit from the Aqstic page.

"Qualcomm Aqstic hardware

Ready to get incredible sound? Use these products in your next audio project.

Qualcomm Aqstic Hi-Fi DAC

The Qualcomm Aqstic Hi-Fi DAC combines performance and low power consumption to deliver the most authentic sound and most faithful reproduction of a musician’s recording to your smartphone and USB Type-C dongles.
AQT1000

..."

I think this is a separate hardware solution independant of the SoC, but I’m not certain its  not a component of the system. It supports 382/32bit which is different from the specs on the product  brief. But even though the product brief for the SD 625 says it can play 192/24bit it might be possible that it also requires USB to work. If it requires USB-C I’m boned, because Lenovo/Moto only put micro USB on thiis device.

I’m stabbing in the dark but it might be a lead for a definitive answer on the question of Aqstic devices.

The OpenSL HD output had improved sound, but it might have been related to the difference between OpenSL and the HD variant on the software side. I’m still hopeful its a detection fluke but i’ll have investigate more tomorrow. I’ll leave with another question: Is the USB DAC option universal for external DACs(guessing this is the case) or did it detect that as being readily functional? It read ’variant:usb dac only’ if it makes a difference. In the meantime it‘s sleep time. Thanks for the replys and good night.

Snapdragon 6xx series SOCs, including 625, do support hi-res via wired headset/aux 3.5, and usb-c analog audio (usually, detected as wired headset as well), specifications your posted are correct. 

But not all Android devices on hi-res capable-SOCs support hi-res, as firmware should support that too. In case of generic snapdragon SOC, Poweramp tries to detect that via /etc/audio_policy.conf, /vendor/etc/audio_policy.conf, /vendor/etc/audio_output_policy.conf (depending on Android version) - as previously described in this thread.

On 6/16/2016 at 5:20 AM, harpin14789 said:

Nexus 6 (shamu) 

Resurrection Remix 6.0.1

Snapdragon 805 SoC support 24 bit high res audio. Edited audio policy so to enable 24bit 192 kHz audio. 

Everytime I enable high res audio in Poweramp, it gives me an error. 

audio_policy.conf

Sorry for quote an old post but. Can nexus 6 shamu output high res via wired output?

My rom is Android 7.1 pure nexus.

Modify the audio_policy will work?

16 hours ago, maxmp said:

Snapdragon 6xx series SOCs, including 625, do support hi-res via wired headset/aux 3.5, and usb-c analog audio (usually, detected as wired headset as well), specifications your posted are correct. 

But not all Android devices on hi-res capable-SOCs support hi-res, as firmware should support that too. In case of generic snapdragon SOC, Poweramp tries to detect that via /etc/audio_policy.conf, /vendor/etc/audio_policy.conf, /vendor/etc/audio_output_policy.conf (depending on Android version) - as previously described in this thread.

Well it doesn’t sound promising. I may root just to check for certain. No mention of support from moto, but seems ridiculous not to take advantage of when hardware has support.

Any accounting for the change in audio qaulty/balance with openSL HD? I don’t know what is causing the percieved difference but I like the results. It was/is immediately apparent when it defaults to 'speaker' instead of 'AUX'. Using that as an analogue/substitute for a blind test it doesn't seem to be placebo. I’d like to not lose whatever differences there are when detection is more fleshed out.

It at least gives me incentive to learn more. Thanks for the reply and clarification. And thanks to everyone who replied and helped. I'll post back when I find an answer or possible solution regardin this phone.

On 5/21/2018 at 7:21 AM, andrewilley said:

That audio policy file doesn't list anything beyond 48000 as being available for your device (on that ROM at least).

Andre

How come my device doesn't support Hi-Res? It use AK4376 for DAC that support 24-bit audio

3 hours ago, Mr.0 said:

How come my device doesn't support Hi-Res? It use AK4376 for DAC that support 24-bit audio

You'd have to take that up with the ROM authors, the audio_policy file you quoted does not report high-res capability, even if the underlying hardware provides it.

Andre

Requesting HiRes for 3.5mm and Bluetooth for the LG V30. The current system is showing it is allowed and I have tried my best to configure them, but over wire I am only getting 16bit/44.1K even with the DAC enabled, and on Bluetooth it is giving me 24bit/44.1K on my devices with APTX HD but 16bit/44.1K on others. Here is my device info:

LG V30 H932

Android 8.0 Stock T-Mobile ROM

Poweramp 709

On 6/3/2018 at 4:44 PM, andrewilley said:

Are you sure? 790 doesn't do any further checking on the output stages, so while it may be processing high-res internally in PA, you could find your device is converting it back down to 16-bit/low res.

709 does more checks and shouldn't show the option unless HD can be achieved along the whole audio path.

Andre

I'm not familiar with the more technical details but my experience with PA on the Vivo X21 has been:

705--Wired Headset/AUX available for OpenSL ES HD but music will not play if I enable it

709--Wired Headset/AUX is not listed for OpenSL ES HD

790--Wired Headset/AUX available for OpenSL ES HD and music plays when it's enabled

If this helps, the phone has a Hi-Fi DAC, in the settings I have Hi-Fi mode enabled for PA. When music is playing through aux in PA 790 the Hi-Fi notification shows up indicating it's active.

1)Samsung Galaxy S7 Sm-g930fd

2)Stock Android 8.0.0

3) HiRes Audio worked on Android 7, but OpenSl HD doesn't work on Android 8. It's for build 709 and for build 790. Hope so much that you can fix it. Love Poweramp and waiting for your reply. 

• 2 weeks later...

1. Moto Z2 Play (snapdragon 626)

2. OREO 8.0

3. Using build 790 (192/24 OpenSL HD) For a Unknown reason, build 709 don't have OpenSL HD for Headphones/Wired

SoC supports Aqstic

(I don't have read only acess to /system

without root :/)

On 6/9/2018 at 10:27 PM, Antean said:

Well it doesn’t sound promising. I may root just to check for certain. No mention of support from moto, but seems ridiculous not to take advantage of when hardware has support.

Any accounting for the change in audio qaulty/balance with openSL HD? I don’t know what is causing the percieved difference but I like the results. It was/is immediately apparent when it defaults to 'speaker' instead of 'AUX'. Using that as an analogue/substitute for a blind test it doesn't seem to be placebo. I’d like to not lose whatever differences there are when detection is more fleshed out.

It at least gives me incentive to learn more. Thanks for the reply and clarification. And thanks to everyone who replied and helped. I'll post back when I find an answer or possible solution regardin this phone.

I have a MOTOROLA Z2 and frankly even though the Snap 626 does not seem to have anything specified by Motorola / Lenovo about the DAC or implementations..

An Lenovo forum admin(An MotoAgent) confirmed that Moto Z2 Snap 626 support 24 bit/192Khz

Hi all

My HTC U11 (8.0 stock ROM) works perfectly fine with the hi res output via the USB C and I've had no problems, but I can't seem to enable hi res via the Bluetooth. Whenever I connect to a Bluetooth device, Poweramp detects the device as a speaker (spk) and not as a Bluetooth device, so I am unable to try to use the hi res output for Bluetooth. Poweramp always ouputs 16 bit 44.1hkz to a BT device, though it does 16/48 to the phone speakers. I'm using V3 build 709. Any ideas on how to solve the problem?

On 7/1/2018 at 8:04 AM, beastobadness said:

1. ZTE Axon 7 A2017

2. NFound's AEX 5.6 B12 Oreo custom ROM...latest

3. See attached

Due to recent changes in audio config on said ROM, Poweramp v709 Google play beta is now outputting HiRes through the SD820 DAC wired and BT.

Tested with v790, this did not output HiRes though.

audio_output_policy.conf

I can also confirm this. No go with 790, working good with 709.

Axon 7, 8.1.0, latest AEX.

by the way PA 709 reports "Variant: Direct HD" now. 

Hope 790 gets support later on...