Requests for Hi-Res Support (please state which build of Poweramp you are using)

1. Samsung Galaxy S3 i9305 or / and i9300
  2. Android 4.4.4 KTU84P
  3. Because even the datasheet for the Wolfson (now Cirrus) WM1811A states that it is capable of 24-bit 96kHz sampling rate, so i believe this popular phone should have Hi-Res audio enabled in Poweramp.

The datasheet is HERE for @maxmp to look through.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://m.imgur.com/3Bx5rFP,8nDIqha,qzXjW0z

my device details are in the above images as screenshots. it is a samsung fascinate. if you'd prefer me to run android 5.1 i can.  android 6.0.1 will be installed in a couple days after i work out some kinks. The kernel for the cm11 rom in the above images uses this kernel: https://github.com/didhiy/android_kernel_samsung_aries?files=1 i have access to a full build environment and can implement any changes needed to support higher bit depths and sample rates.

it currently has build 702 pushing 44.1khz at 16 bits.

It clearly has(as shown by the images), a wm8994 dac, with voodoo sound drivers. Therefore, i think it should have support for high res output. The datasheet for this dac shows that it supports it.

Thanks

Does the ASUS Zenfone 2 (ZE551ML) support Hi-Res? 

Afaik, no asus zenfones support Hi-Res Output. Your screenshot shows Hi-Res playback (which is supported by Poweramp v2 as well), but device output is still limited to max 16bit/48khz.

6 hours ago, maxmp said:

Afaik, no asus zenfones support Hi-Res Output. Your screenshot shows Hi-Res playback (which is supported by Poweramp v2 as well), but device output is still limited to max 16bit/48khz.

Oh.Ouch. Looks like I need to upgrade. Thanks. 

Hi Max!

Avid Poweramp user here since my first Android phone, Xperia X10.

1. Samsung Galaxy S i9000
2. Custom Rom 4.4.2 SuperNexus 4.0 (Voodoo Sound)
3. Its has a Wolfson WM8994

https://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/WM8994_v4.4.pdf

For me, and to all people who are still using it as their music player, its still the best sounding Android phone to date. Enabling Hi-Res audio will make it even better. 

1. Motorola Moto X 2014

2. Stock, 6.0

3. Again, pretty much same h/w as OPO or other SD801 phones.

I can't find teardowns of this phone nor can I do that myself to identify the DAC (it's probably in the SoC anyway). The audio policy file does not specify 24bit and/or 96kHz.

I can check anything you need if it can be done in software.

4 hours ago, Anxietyfordays said:

LG v10

build-702 Hi-Res should work on v10 even on 5.x androids

On 4/10/2016 at 0:45 PM, leonard said:

1.Meizu Pro 5

Meizu Hi-Fi is supported by (debug) build 703, soon to be released

On 4/10/2016 at 5:51 AM, duo8 said:

1. Motorola Moto X 2014

I can't find teardowns of this phone nor can I do that myself to identify the DAC (it's probably in the SoC anyway). The audio policy file does not specify 24bit and/or 96kHz.

I can check anything you need if it can be done in software.

Unfortunately, "same" hardware/chips or even hi-fi/hi-res DAC installed in the device means nothing if the OEM doesn't support Hi-Res. There will be missing Hi-Res support starting from firmware/kernel to Android AudioFlinger.

Basically, Poweramp can't add Hi-Res if device doesn't support it.

For Moto X the OEM doesn't claim any support for Hi-Res audio (https://www.motorola.com/us/motomaker?pid=FLEXR2#moto-x+1-story-specs).

Ultimately, this is checked by playing 24bit/192khz sine sweep file in stock player and capturing/analyzing the resulting audio (as some devices, while claiming Hi-Res capable hardware, doesn't actually go beyond 48khz, like ZTE Axon mini).

3 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I wish I had high-rez ears, but anything much beyond about 18kHz is lost on me anyway

The point of Hi-Res is not just reproduction of frequencies above 20khz. It's mostly about moving various noises well above hearing range (this is what DSD exploits also). On modern smartphone level hardware this results in "clarity", "clear sound" for Hi-Res enabled devices. You can hear difference in midrange headphones, e.g. Sony mdr-1. The increased sample bit width (24bit) also gives benefits, though, that may be harder to hear.

Difference can be noticeable even for non-High-Res tracks. It may be even more apparent on non-Hi-Res tracks due to (44.1->48khz) resampling, always associated with smartphone level DACs. Only very limited number of smartphones have DUAL (44.1/48) audio clock and can output standard definition audio without associated resampling, e.g. Samsung S7.

It can be easily checked in Poweramp as you can enable/disable/enable Hi-Res output and hear difference immediately.

1. SM-N910C (Note 4)

2. Marshmallow 6.0.1 OTA (not a custom ROM, no root)

3. It has Wolfson WM5110 and Hi-Res works, but without DVC.

When DVC is on, there's only a ticking sound, like Van Halen - Hot for Teacher drums :). I've noticed that 1 second on the player's indicator takes 13s IRL. I've also tried different settings, but no luck.

32 minutes ago, Passiunce said:
  1. ZTE Axon Pro
  2. Android 6.0
  3. AK 4490 DAC and AKM 4961 Class D amp inside. Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/axon-phone-hi-fi-audio-626925/

While ZTE Axon series of smartphones have (as claimed by ZTE) capable hardware, I wasn't able to get anything beyond 16bit/48khz from that device (tried Axon Mini @ 5.1.1). May be 6.0 (when official OTA comes) will change something. ZTE only claims HiFi support - this is not Hi-Res.

8 hours ago, maxmp said:

While ZTE Axon series of smartphones have (as claimed by ZTE) capable hardware, I wasn't able to get anything beyond 16bit/48khz from that device (tried Axon Mini @ 5.1.1). May be 6.0 (when official OTA comes) will change something. ZTE only claims HiFi support - this is not Hi-Res.

Odd considering when the phone was being marketed it was advertised as being 32 bit. The axon mini as far as I'm aware does not have an amp or DAC unlike the Pro model. It could also be the case that ZTE's software limits it to 16bit/48khz, although I could have sworn that the stock music player was capable of 24 bit by default. I'll make sure to contact ZTE support later to figure out this confusion. 

Usable bit width is hard to measure independently - it can measured vis SNR, but there are to many factors which affect SNR (most DACs are 24/32 bits nowadays, but there is a noise in lower bits anyway for most audio content), but sample rate is easy to detect.

Axon mini is marketed to have the almost the same DAC/audio 32bit chip as Pro.
Axon mini produces max 48khz. I will try to obtain Pro model for tests, but that will certainly take some time (as they are available in selected parts of world).

1 hour ago, maxmp said:

Usable bit width is hard to measure independently - it can measured vis SNR, but there are to many factors which affect SNR (most DACs are 24/32 bits nowadays, but there is a noise in lower bits anyway for most audio content), but sample rate is easy to detect.

Axon mini is marketed to have the almost the same DAC/audio 32bit chip as Pro.
Axon mini produces max 48khz. I will try to obtain Pro model for tests, but that will certainly take some time (as they are available in selected parts of world).

After contacting support they denied that it was locked down 16bit/48khz and could go up to 32bit/192khz. Maybe ZTE unlocked it with the 6.0 update.