Poweramp alpha-build-702

maxmp

Hi, just installed v3 alpha on my HTC M9 running marshmallow.

so far its running great on high res mode...
more volume steps is really an awesome new feature :)
sound is really fantastic!

Only things i noticed:

- coming from v2 on first launch there seemed to be no visualizer preset activated, so there was just a blank screen
  after choosing a visualizer preset it worked...
  disabling visualizer doesnt stick once Poweramp is out of ram

- changing sample rate in wired headset / Highres output seems a bit buggy when changing it a couple of times
  display isnt refreshed everytimes and sometimes switching back to 192khz doest seem to work unless switching highres off and on again...

(no issue though, just writing down what i noticed ;) )

- DVC is working and activated in audio - advanced settings but greyed out in output - highres - settings (No DVC - DVC not supported)
  but thats probably what you mentioned in FAQs that htc isnt supported...
  just dont really get why the setting is in 2 places...

- MusicFX is greyed out in advanced settings (rom not supported)
  is there anything to be adjusted in rom to make it work ? whats needed for musicFX ?

So thanks for your work making your player even better :)

Really looking forward the final version... v4a as plugin sounds great btw...

cheers

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Settings > Audio > Output > OpenSL ES Output > Wired Headset/AUX , it is possible to disable Equaliser/Tone by checking that box. However, with the box checked, the equaliser sliders and tone knobs still modify the output. Is this a bug?

This new Alpha is a huge improvement over the old Poweramp.

I had seriously considered defecting to Onkyo HF Player but now, I just can't decide.  It seems I can get a warmer sound on Onkyo but Poweramp seems cleaner, likely due to enabling Hi-Res output on my Note 4.

BUG:

I have problems playing HE-AACv2 Files. Heavy skipping happening (as if it would be playing the audio at 500% speed), and finally it just says "Decoder timed out".

MP3, AAC LC and AAC-HEv1 Files seems to be playing fine.

Using MediaMonkey I can play the HE-AACv2 Files without any problems so its an Poweramp decoder issue.

In the attachment is a sample song, which has that issue. Can somebody else test it and see if it's working?

{My phone Moto G 2014 (Android 6.0 - Nexus Xperience ROM)}

bensound-epic.m4a

53 minutes ago, rkkoszewski said:

BUG:

I have problems playing HE-AACv2 Files. Heavy skipping happening (as if it would be playing the audio at 500% speed), and finally it just says "Decoder timed out".

I can confirm the same problem with that file. Thanks for the report, that's what alpha tests are there for.

Andre

Hi Max, I have a question, downloaded the alpha version of the 702, it is written that supports the phone's internal DAC, I have Meizu Pro 5 is the sound chip, but why not have a choice in the settings, so that through this chip to play music? Only audiotrack and open sl ..., and here's a screenshot of the file that you have requested throw ..

S60401-202544.jpg

audio_policy.conf.zip

On 4/3/2016 at 8:35 AM, Feilakas said:

Here's a weird set of (potentially related) bugs.

When I installed the 702 build I noticed that every time I connected my bluetooth headphones Poweramp would auto-resume playback even though it was unticked in settings for bluetooth headsets and only ticked for wired ones.

I had to also untick it for wired headphones to stop it from autoplaying.

In other (possibly related) news, I discovered that now when I pressed the skip track button on my bluetooth there would be TWO beeps and when I pressed the previous track button there would be THREE, just like the single button behaviour.

It is my guess that in the new build the wired and bluetooth settings were mixed together, possibly in an attempt to fix the bluetooth-only playback bug after a call.

Could others please confirm?

Greetings! I'm a long time user of Poweramp and signed up for the testing.  With the current 702 build, I have experienced the same auto-resume with bluetooth connect even though it was unchecked in settings.  Unchecking wired also was only way for it to stop autoplay.  I am using Nexus 6P on 6.0.1.

21 hours ago, GSD4SRG said:

Greetings! I'm a long time user of Poweramp and signed up for the testing.  With the current 702 build, I have experienced the same auto-resume with bluetooth connect even though it was unchecked in settings.  Unchecking wired also was only way for it to stop autoplay.  I am using Nexus 6P on 6.0.1.

20 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Thinking about it, the resume that people are seeing with Bluetooth could be the external device issuing a play command after connection.

Andre

Nope. I'm having the same effect. My radio is not issuing a 'play command' after connection, but it still starts playing auto-magically after connecting to the head unit. This is not an undesired effect though, as it seems to be working more consistently than it did before with the Poweramp Headset MicroService (Sometimes it wouldn't autostart, though this was not very usual). The curious thing is that I just noticed that I have the option "Continue on Bluetooth connection" turned OFF in Poweramp but it's still starting.

One thing to note is that I recently upgraded to Android 6.0, so I don't know if it's some new Android feature, or if it's some other multimedia app interfering. In any case I prefer to have this bug/feature to be working as it is rather than having the opposite effect and not be able to enable it at all.

22 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Thinking about it, the resume that people are seeing with Bluetooth could be the external device issuing a play command after connection.

Andre

No, it's a Poweramp issue although, it seems to me it's an intentional half-measure Max consciously implemented.

If I add the fact that I hear the double/triple beep when I skip forward/back tracks it's pretty clear to me that he implemented a method that passes through the one for the wired headsets.

If I were to guess then I'd say he emulates the bluetooth as a wired headset using sth for a passthrough, maybe a wrapper I don't know, and emulates button presses as the wired headset's single, double and triple presses respectively to achieve the intended result.

The good news is that this method works reliably enough to be serviceable until he comes up with a proper one.

48 minutes ago, Feilakas said:

If I were to guess then I'd say he emulates the bluetooth as a wired headset using sth for a passthrough, maybe a wrapper I don't know, and emulates button presses as the wired headset's single, double and triple presses respectively to achieve the intended result.

The good news is that this method works reliably enough to be serviceable until he comes up with a proper one.

No, such access to Android BT key handling internals is not possible without root and/or replacing some system code. Poweramp receives the commands via standard API. Though, Google tends to change that API with each major release of Android (AudioManager (2.x) => RemoteControlClient (4.x) => MediaSession (5.x+)), so multiple implementations exist in Poweramp.

These commands look absolutely the same as wired headset button presses or e.g. lockscreen << >> button presses. It's KEYCODE_MEDIA_* series of keys from some "virtual" keyboard.

Some external devices (BT and USB DACs) in-fact send multiple (sometimes random, sometimes specific) commands on connection. Car autos are known to send PLAY. Poweramp now ignores that for USB DACs for couple of seconds after connection, and there was some code to do that for BT, but that needs re-testing.

2 hours ago, whiplash1 said:

Missing album art is no longer being downloaded. Long pressing isn't searching anymore ?

I've seen a couple of reports of this over the last few hours, and am seeing the same thing myself. I guess Google changed something again, it was fixed a week or two ago.

Andre

Hi all,

I can't see that anyone else has had this problem yet but I'm seeing missing Album Artists on the library views.

The files are tagged with album artist info and I can see this by looking at the tag info in Poweramp.

Cheers

Screenshot_2016-04-07-21-12-17 (1).jpg

On 6/4/2016 at 7:31 PM, maxmp said:

No, such access to Android BT key handling internals is not possible without root and/or replacing some system code. Poweramp receives the commands via standard API. Though, Google tends to change that API with each major release of Android (AudioManager (2.x) => RemoteControlClient (4.x) => MediaSession (5.x+)), so multiple implementations exist in Poweramp.

These commands look absolutely the same as wired headset button presses or e.g. lockscreen << >> button presses. It's KEYCODE_MEDIA_* series of keys from some "virtual" keyboard.

Some external devices (BT and USB DACs) in-fact send multiple (sometimes random, sometimes specific) commands on connection. Car autos are known to send PLAY. Poweramp now ignores that for USB DACs for couple of seconds after connection, and there was some code to do that for BT, but that needs re-testing.

I see, thank you for the explanation.

Nevertheless, I didn't have either of those two behaviours with alpha 700 and I THINK 701 (but didn't use it for that long so not 100% sure) so whatever it was you did to fix the bluetooth issue was what caused said behaviour.

However like I said, I prefer this very small inconvenience to taking my phone out every time I answer a call to resume playback so thanks!

7 hours ago, night2k7 said:

Hello,

Just wanted to report that v702 is preferring embedded album art to folder art even when enabling the setting to prefer folder art.

Additionally the album cover is only shown when album art animation is set.  Without the album cover is not shown at all.

Loving this new player.. once its stable you should make this a new app so you can regain you some money..Maybe "Poweramp HD"..lol  Because its about time us long time subscribers pay up some more money for your hard work.. keep it coming..

Archived