online radio / .pls internet streams

ShamanBR

Hi guys!

Im Poweramp buyer, very happy except for one reason:

Why Poweramp cant play .pls internet streams?

I know there is a basic pls function that play local (same directory) lists.

I can see in the horizon "one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"......

I have Spotify, i have PlayerPro too.... i have 600Tons of library music, but, today my preferred player is XiiaLive, just because it can play shoutcast radios, but it cant open one individual .pls files, and sometimes i cant see all radios that i want on its internal search.

I found another players that do the job like ServeStream and others, that work with .pls files and play online radios, but they are very basic and limited..... i dont want another player!

My best world is find some radio on Google, or Shoutcast site look for its .pls file, download it on phone and play it streams on Poweramp with high quality and resources.

I see a world where there is only one player to rule them all.... :lol:

Thanks!

Max's roadmap for Poweramp is based on aiming for superlative audio quality for playlist of local media (for example supporting 24-bit output), so low-bandwidth internet streaming audio was not one of his priorities when he last responded on this subject. I don't know whether than has changed, but I would not expect shoutcast/etc support to be high up on his list.

Andre

Hi Andrew,

I complete understood Poweramp quest for ultimate audio quality player, that is what differs from another apps.

Answer me, if i have an 128kb MP3, i believe Poweramp will play it, right? I belive Poweramp can play even 64kb MP3 bitrate or less.......

Internet streams have generally 128kb bitrate, some of them have 256kb... I believe the fact that is provided "on demand" don't change his basic attribute of being an 128kb MP3.

Please consider that you can have an giant music library but you always need some "fresh air" to aggregate new music and this is very handy provided by online radios, shoutcast based or not.

Sometimes you just want listen something new, not planned, squared by certain style... almost unpredictable.

What is the main challenge to became this possible?

1 - Money? - Poweramp development need money to make it happen?

2 - Technical? - Poweramp platform doesn't allow this trick?

3 - Business? - Poweramp is an great OFFLINE audio player and that's it!

My last hope is put on table.

Thanks

4. Time.

Poweramp is a one-person project, and the developer Max kinda sets his own agenda and roadmap when it comes to what he wants to do with his app.

I personally would like to see streaming shoutcast audio as an option - and who knows it may come at some point, but I'm just saying don't hold your breath for it. We've all been waiting patiently for the best part of four years for requests for things like Album Artist and ratings-from-tags to be supported. Hopefully once the new audio engine in V3 of Poweramp is released to the main app market (it's in alpha test at the moment) that might free up more time to look into user requests.

Andre

I place my main vote to this feature request! This is must-have feature of music player! Please implement this in near future, this is not too hard, but will be very useful.

22 hours ago, ShamanBR said:

I have Spotify, i have PlayerPro too.... i have 600Tons of library music, but, today my preferred player is XiiaLive, just because it can play shoutcast radios, but it cant open one individual .pls files, and sometimes i cant see all radios that i want on its internal search.

ShamanBR, can you provide list of all alternative players, in which you see feature for play online audio streams? It's to hard to find players with this feature via Play Market :(

2 hours ago, Murz said:

I place my main vote to this feature request! This is must-have feature of music player! Please implement this in near future, this is not too hard, but will be very useful.

ShamanBR, can you provide list of all alternative players, in which you see feature for play online audio streams? It's to hard to find players with this feature via Play Market :(

Murz, the best for me is XiiaLive, free and Pro version, both works good.
Not so good because its internal Shoutcast and Uberstations search are very incomplete compared with Shoutcast site.
I believe its search result is narrowed by listeners number. And you cant play downloaded .pls files.
Audio quality is good, Pro version allows you to render stream through Android default engine or FFmpeg.
Who knows Poweramp bring news to us, i hope so!

• 2 months later...

Thanks, I try this one and many alternatives,  but nothing can normally combine local music player with folder navigation and internet streams :wacko:

Use different apps for local and remote music is too uncomfortable!

So will be good to see support playing audio streams in Poweramp! Please add this feature!

• 1 year later...

Archived