Android 6.0 No album art

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was using the LG G4 and all the song album covers would display properly.  Yesterday I got the Samsung S7 Edge and none of it appears.  The way I set the album cover is I do it for each song on my computer before transferring it to my Micro SD card.  I don't use an image in the folder or anything, it's all embedded into the tracks.  This has worked on a HTC One M8, LG G3, and LG G4.  I have tried re-adding all my songs to my Micro SD card folder, I have re-installed Poweramp, deleted every .nomedia file that was on my phone and card.  I have done a full re-scan, disabled and enabled artwork options.  I deleted the folders in the data folder to see if that triggers anything, but nope.  The cover art shows up in other music apps but not on Poweramp.

Is there a bug in Poweramp that doesn't work with the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge or something?

Exactly the same problem I have, MaxOfS2D, the resolution is properly detected, but the file appears to have 0 bytes. Curiously enough, in the alpha version, while having the same problem, the size of the embedded JPEG is properly detected. Not shown anyway, but at least the size is detected.

I'm also having the same problem and installed the 585 version of Poweramp.  Unfortunately my mp3 files that have embedded images are still not displaying the album artwork.  I tried both deleting the album art cache and doing a full rescan.  The folders that have cover.jpg are displaying their album artwork properly.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7

Android Version: 6.0.1

Poweramp Version: 2.0.10-build-585-uni (Full Version)

edit: my images are also showing the proper resolution in the properties of the file inside Poweramp but with a file size of 0 bytes

I've merged some of the other threads of this subject into this thread to make the issue less fragmented and easier to follow. I've also made sure Max is aware that this issue was not resolved with build 585 (although the download art issue was).

Andre

I'm also having the same problem and installed the 585 version of Poweramp.  Unfortunately my mp3 files that have embedded images are still not displaying the album artwork.  I tried both deleting the album art cache and doing a full rescan.  The folders that have cover.jpg are displaying their album artwork properly.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S7
Android Version: 6.0.1
Poweramp Version: 2.0.10-build-585-uni (Full Version)

edit: my images are also showing the proper resolution in the properties of the file inside Poweramp but with a file size of 0 bytes

I have the exact same device and problem. ( edit: same Poweramp ver. too )

All my songs have embedded art on them, I do not have a cover.jpg file in my music folders.

VLC player still reads and displays the art correctly though.

Hi,

I've been using power amp for a couple of years on my Galaxy S4 with no issues. I recently got an S7, so I'm setting it up on that now, but it's having problems with the album art. It doesn't display it.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, deleting the album art cache, doing a full rescan, etc, but none of that has worked. I've also tried recopying the files to my SD card, after verifying that the version on my computer does have the embedded artwork, but they didn't help either.

When I click on some files, it tells me "no artwork". Other files will say something like "1000x1000 (0 bytes)". I can't figure out what's wrong, because almost all of the files do have the cover art. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

I have the a Samsung Galaxy S7 and i have no Album artwork. All my album artwork is embedded into their mp3's. I have also installed the latest build 585 mentioned above and still no artwork

Same. I pulled my SD card out of my S5 and put it in the S7, and Poweramp on the S7 couldn't see most of the art. Stock Google Play Store versions on both phones.

Hi, 

I'd just like to confirm that I'm having the same problem. I've tried various things already suggested earlier in this thread (adjusting album art settings in power amp, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, clearing the album art cache, recopying files to my SD card both manually and via my filesync app, putting the files on internal storage instead of the SD card, etc), but nothing has worked. 

Galaxy S7

Android 6.0.1

Power amp 2.0.10 build 584

20 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Yes, the consensus is that it won't work on S7s until this issue is resolved and Max works out what Google (or Samsung?) have done this time.

Andre

Andre, I think the one to blame may be Google, because this happens in my mobile too, which is not a Samsung but has Android M. Anyway, I must insist that any other player I've tested shows embedded album art correctly, so at a bare minimum Google is not the only one to blame ;)

This said, as I promised I've tested version 584 in the new firmware of my smartphone (new firmware, new patchlevel, but still Android 6.0.0) and it still doesn't work, and then I updated Poweramp and tested version 585, and again, it doesn't work.

I'm not going to defend Google, because they know how to screw their users and every new Android version comes plagued with new and interesting bugs, stupid design decisions, etc. but in this case it seems the problem is a bad interaction between Poweramp and Android. This said, maybe the culprit is only Google, by screwing some API entry point which worked seamlessly before, but then, why other players work?

I'm not interested about where the blame lies, Poweramp is a high quality product and my favourite player and that's not going to change because of this minor problem, I just would love to see this fixed.

Tell Max I can test anything he needs me to, including any test application to look for the cause of the problem. If he doesn't have access to a Stock ROM Android 6 phone, he can use me to test on mine.

I've passed the info on to Max to look into, but I can't say when he'll be able to do anything. Sadly, unexpected changes in OS designs can sometimes cause compatibility issues that no one could have predicted.

In the meantime I'm afraid people are probably going to have to enjoy their music with their ears rather than their eyes for a while - which, to be fair, is what many people refer to as a "first world problem". ;)

Andre

I just bought Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge on Android 6 and i can't see album art too. Only limited mp3 files shows album art. I know that my files have album art because I have the sae files from my old phone that is on 4.4.4. Any solution to this?

13 hours ago, andrewilley said:

In the meantime I'm afraid people are probably going to have to enjoy their music with their ears rather than their eyes for a while - which, to be fair, is what many people refer to as a "first world problem". ;)

:D I agree, Andre, in the end Poweramp is for listening to music, not for watching the phone screen (although given the time Max has put into visualizations for the V3, he may think otherwise :D), and I agree it's one of those "first world problem".

This said, people like me, who has a device with not a huge screen and whose eyes are tired now and then, use the album art to avoid having to read small text when looking for an album, and that's the only reason why I miss this feature.

Anyway, there's a workaround, to wit: saving the embedded album art as "cover.jpg" or equivalent. Problem is, not many people know how to do this automatically, or even by hand. So let's hope Max fixes this soon :) Thanks for keeping him informed.

22 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I've passed the info on to Max to look into, but I can't say when he'll be able to do anything. Sadly, unexpected changes in OS designs can sometimes cause compatibility issues that no one could have predicted.

Andre

Haha. While it's true that this is a 'First World Problem', your product is designed for 'First World' people, so problems like these are going to be taken kinda seriously by most people.

I for one don't mind it, but, as DervishD said, album art makes it easier to navigate the library. Not to mention it looks more professional, especially for those of us (myself included) who paid for it. At the moment, I feel as if I'm using a buggy stock music player, as DVC doesn't work properly either  (for me at least)

I hope you guys fix the problem soon, but I think the problem is more of Poweramp's fault instead of Google's, otherwise other music players would have a similar issue.

As Andre has pointed out many times, development of pa is a one man band. Seems to me that the development focus is on perfecting the audio engine of the new release rather than ensuring the problems with the production release are resolved. It would be ironic that when the new version is finally released, most customers have moved away from pa. ?

Archived