Proposed Material Design style interface discussion

Brainscollector

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seriously love that design, but I don't want Poweramp to get more clicks to get to all my songs ordered alphabetically by title. Since in you're previews it goes to now playing. I would like the now playing function to see which song is next, but I wouldn't like it. When I click or swipe up to go there, I want to see all my songs in alphabetical order. Besides all this, it looks great and I'm looking forward to a design upgrade of Poweramp! Also right now on Poweramp I have the option to make the album art bigger and make it fill those ugly bezels. In your pictures I dont see that, I really like this of Poweramp and I don't want to lose it in a future update. 

Not that this design is anything other than a concept anyway, but I assume that if you were playing your songs via the 'All Songs' mode then that new "now playing" list would actually show all songs in alphabetical order anyway, which seems to be what you are asking. Not sure what you are referring to by the term ugly bezels though? If you mean the numbers down the left of the songs list, I already suggested that those should be cover art.

Andre

Hello. Thank you for kind words :)

I was thinking to put in left drawer everything what is important: settings, help and also what is inside right drawer in alpha version - engine, equalizer, visualizer options. Everything sorted and into compact form so it would not be overloaded with unnecessary informations and options that are not used. There is not much need to include all those options like folders, albums etc because everything will be available within 1-3 swipes or single tap. Three dots menu will be needed for any settings that are visible right on the screen, so if you are on main screen, it will show customization shortcuts and options for music currently playing. On screens like Albums/Artists/rtc it will show all the customization options like grid sizes, sorting and all that kind options. So - left drawer will include most important application settings and shortcuts, 3 dots will be needed for customization of what is currently on screen.

SnowWhite theme

28Zvta4.gif

This one would be awesome as "light-theme". I like the design. I just don't like the Tab-Category design to switch between Now Playing/Albums/Folders.. and so on. From an ergonomical standpoint, its just plain awful to be scrolling trough all the Tabs to find out that the one you're looking for is the last one (And I'm not talking the cpu/gpu overhead it requires to render and generate each of the views you don't want to see anyway while scrolling). As far as I could see, almost all of the "Modern Look" music players I could find in the Play Store, are using that awful "Tab" design approach.

What is wrong with the current Poweramp approach of displaying a list of those views? (Left side of the picture)

poweramp_screenshot_3.jpg

You just click on it (Let's say on "Top Rated") and you get it. While in the "Modern Design" approach you have to swipe frenetically between all the tabs to get to the one you want to go.

I would like to know why people think that the "Modern Tab" approach is so awesome.. Anyone?

I must confess that do actually quite like the simpler unified Tab approach, with finger-swiping between tabs (yeah, I know, and me a Material-hater!). But I did suggest that it be user-configurable, via the same sort of tickbox system implemented in the current release. That way you could define which specific tabs you want to see, and in what order they should be displayed so your most common ones are shown first. And longer-term, I'd like to be able to define and edit new tabs too, with the user able to select different tag criteria, multi-field sort orders, grouping levels, etc.

Andre

• 3 weeks later...

@Brainscollector, I'm simply blown away by your design!! Something like this would virtually eliminate the need or "want" for themes. It's beautiful!! GREAT WORK! Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that style takes a front seat from following the forums, so we may never see this in real life. Still it's nice to see what someone with talent & imagination can do! 

• 11 months later...

Hi, it's been over a year since this concept was posted. Did Max check it? What does he think about it?

I've been using Poweramp for 3 years but sadly, I was considering to change for something else seeing how bad the app looks compared to the competition.

This app really stayed at the ICS time and I think something must be done if you want to keep your users and attract more people. 

12 minutes ago, Mok7 said:

Hi, it's been over a year since this concept was posted. Did Max check it? What does he think about it?

I emailed him several times suggesting he might like to take a look at this thread, but I never heard back as to whether he was going to take any of the ideas on board. I do hope so, as the ideas here seem a very elegant way forward. I guess we'll see pretty soon though, he said he plans to release a beta test of the new Material interface in March.

Andre

• 3 months later...
On 2/26/2017 at 1:28 AM, andrewilley said:

I emailed him several times suggesting he might like to take a look at this thread, but I never heard back as to whether he was going to take any of the ideas on board. I do hope so, as the ideas here seem a very elegant way forward. I guess we'll see pretty soon though, he said he plans to release a beta test of the new Material interface in March.

Andre

XD "he said he plans to release a beta test of the new Material interface in March" mid june already

6 minutes ago, akincakiner said:

XD "he said he plans to release a beta test of the new Material interface in March" mid june already

That's ETAs for you. What you plan to do and what unexpected stuff happens in the meantime rarely correlate!

Andre

Archived