Secondary list sorting options

Megaooga

When in a playlist with multiple complete albums, the sorting feature doesnt always seem to work the way I want it to.

There are many sorting options, like album, artist, track number, file name, track title, etc. The sorting option I have trouble with is track number. If I choose this, then the songs will sort to whichever track is "track one" of each of the different albums, followed by the "track twos" and the "track threes"....

So if I have a bunch of albums that have an intro the list will look like this:

The End (Intro)

Crossing streams (Intro)

Intro (Intro)

Prolouge

This sorting option is useless. Sorting options are for finding certain songs, and listening to songs in a cetain order.

If I sort the list by album, then the albums are grouped together, but alpbabetcally. I would like the albums to be grouped and sorted together by track number, so all the albums in the list are in order.

I know this is somewhat possible on a coding standpoint, as there's already a sorting option called album/artist, which groups the albums of a certain artist together in a list. I love this option, if only there was a album/track# option.

Please let me know if there's alread some option in place or a workaround somewhere.

Also, exuse any spelling errors as I have my spellchecker turned off.

I'm a bit puzzled, as far as I know Playlists don't have any sorting options, you just adjust the track order manually after having added your chosen songs.

If you're talking about library categories (e.g. when you are viewing all Albums) then the top level (Albums) and the lower level (Songs within each album) have different sorting options available. These are selected by pressing Menu > List Options in the appropriate view level - so set the Albums level to "By Name" and the Songs level to "By track #".

Note: currently the "Disc" tag is not parsed though, so if you have a double CD set then you'd get Disc 1 Track 1 followed by Disc 2 Track 1, then Disc 1 Track 2, Disc 2 Track 2, etc. To avoid this issue for now, change the actual album title tags to reflect the individual disc numbers (so you'd set one album title to "Star Wars Soundtrack, CD 1" and the other to "Star Wars Soundtrack, CD 2" for example).

Andre

Thanks for answering.

I looked again

The playlists (library->playlists->nameofplaylist) have some kind of sorting options, it's under the android menu options while in the playlist: "sort"

Menu > Sort in the appropriate level

It has the options:

shuffle (random sort)

By track #

By title

By filename

By album

By artist

By artist/album

By year

By date added

By rating

toggle Reverse

I use these a lot.

If I go to the option "list options" while in the playlist the only option I get is "Show file names in Library"

I have several playlists of several hundred songs with different artists and multiple albums of each, going through and ordering each song just how I want them is possible, but oh so annoying. So I use the sorting options, but then all my songs get shuffled up.

Right now this is the case:

Sortby: Album

Fifth Track - Album 1

First track - Album 1

Fourth Track - Album 1

Second Track - Album 1

Third Track - Album 1

Fifth Track - Album 2

First track - Album 2

Fourth Track - Album 2

Second Track - Album 2

Third Track - Album 2

It's alphabetized, which leaves the songs somewhat scrambled

So what about track number?

Sortby: Track#

First Track - Album 1

First Track - Album 2

Second Track - Album 1

Second Track - Album 2

Third Track - Album 1

Third Track - Album 2

Fourth Track - Album 1

Fourth Track - Album 2

Fifth Track - Album 1

Fifth Track - Album 2

Not helpful

I'm asking for a second level of sorting in a list, like the album/artist option but a album/track# option.

Sortby: Album/track#

First Track - Album 1

Second Track - Album 1

Third Track - Album 1

Fourth Track - Album 1

Fifth Track - Album 1

First Track - Album 2

Second Track - Album 2

Third Track - Album 2

Fourth Track - Album 2

Fifth Track - Album 2

This is what I'm suggesting and it's needed in the playlist menu. There definitely are already sorting options in the playlist, even if they aren't in "list options, they are in "sort".

For Clarification, this is a playlist sorting option. As I find that the playlists are very flexible, and I use them a lot.

Ah, sorry, I see what you mean. I thought you were asking for 'on-the-fly' real time playback sorting, which is not supported. You are right that you can re-order existing Playlist contents though, and I see what you are asking for now.

In the meantime, you might want to check out TheoKlink's third-party Playlist Manager app ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flyingdutchman.newplaylistmanager ) which I believe can do exactly what you are looking for.

Andre

Archived