Next builds priorities

maxmp

Next builds priorities   

672 members have voted

1. 1. Next build should include:

• Google Music Support
    • Material Skin
    • DLNA Support
    • Cloud Storages Support (Dropbox, etc.)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would much rather see things like album artist tag support or ratings than a material layout. Material UI will break all the themes which would most likely lead to a lot never getting updated.

Good point, then it's stuck with this design forever because skins won't work. Great way of thinking that very often lead to justified laziness of developers "because it's good as it is". Sorry, I got turned on every time I hear explanations like that in any topic. Don't upgrade because older won't be compatible or like it was for years - because some sh*tsung users (that flood the market) with gingerbread/isc won't be able to use app anymore so we have to stick with old api or do everything to optimize it for gingerbread users. Or just because "old is good enough". Man... I have to stop because it's just makes me boil inside.

Material design if fine as long as there is support for skins or at least a dark theme but I'd much rather he put his time into features instead of something as petty as a skin theme. Besides by the time the full stable version 3 releases Google will probably have a new design for android by then anyways. Function over form. There are plenty of free music players out there for people who value material design as the top priority for a music app. When skins are finally supported can't someone just make a material design skin anyways?? I'm sure someone will.

<<(Edit)>> Just saw Max's post on the high quality 24 bit stuff which is pretty cool and makes me feel a little better about my aging S4. I know a lot of people whine and complain about having to pay for Poweramp and lack of updates for it and stuff but Poweramp was the 1st app I ever paid money for and I am still 100% satisfied with what I paid for. Even if by some crazy happenstance, v3 never happens I would still stay with Poweramp. I have yet to find a better music experience than Poweramp combined with viper4android.

I know v3 has taken a ridiculous amount of time to come to light but don't rush it. Take as much time as you need and do it right.

I don't know for sure about Max's plans, but I must admit I was kinda assuming that any new interface would require newly designed skins anyway? Again, I might be speaking out of turn, but I would have thought it would be highly counter-productive to restrict the layout and design of a major update just so four-year-old v2 third-party skins still worked.

I'm sure that at the very least the default supplied skins would provide a light and a dark variant (as at present) and then devs could start building fancy new looks once the basic layout is set in stone.

However I'm in the same camp as KUSOsan above, I personally couldn't really care less about material icons etc - I'd much prefer real feature upgrades. However the layout and control aspects of the material design that Brainscollector has proposed are real features rather than just tweaks as fas as I'm concerned (especially the inventive vertical slide method to get into a much easier to access fully-tabbed Library drawer).

Andre

All the people everywhere requesting a Material Overmake for this player, and the admins of Poweramp only caring about REAL Features ! The quality of Poweramp is already Superb and I DONT USE It for the very outdated looks. And NO I dont want to download skins here and there to get a Material Look, maybe color/icons/font tweaks ! but the UI language should be material. 

Would be awesome to have the volume ducking on short audio focus feature marked as priority too.. It really cannot be so difficult to lower the pre-amp during the short audio focus and restore it to its previous state once it finished.

I'm glad that at least now we have the alpha/betas.. Now it feels that something is being done.

Looking forward for the next build.

I think that one (along with reading and writing tag-based star-ratings in files) would probably make more happy users than any amount of visualisations and material design tweaks. Oh, and in addition to Album Artist, support for the Disc# tag when sorting by Track# is urgently needed, as multi-disc albums currently don't sort correctly by disc first and then track number.

(I would edit the poll to add Album Artist as a choice, but as it's Max's poll I think that might be overstepping my remit somewhat. :) )

Andre

Yes to this. Better Album Artist support is needed.

Who uses visualisations on a phone? Weird!

It has been a while now since the beta version was released. There have been many reactions mainly focussing on design (material) but Max's focus seems to be more on the low level technical aspects of the audio engine rather than developing functionality requested by users. My view is that although a new audio engine is nice, most users (imho)are quite happy with the existing sound and do not really care about the new audio engine. I fully agree with thei and andre on visualisations, for me a total waste of time.

I have long gone back to the regular version so i guess the wait is on for the next release.

My view is that although a new audio engine is nice, most users (imho)are quite happy with the existing sound and do not really care about the new audio engine. I fully agree with thei and andre on visualisations, for me a total waste of time.

I have long gone back to the regular version so i guess the wait is on for the next release.

It's really difficult to know what to say on this one. I love Poweramp, and I'm using the alpha build on my main daily device (the only bug which is making me want to switch back is the problem of bluetooth disconnects losing the current playback position, which is really annoying as I tend to listen to longer podcasts in the car). However Poweramp is 100% Max's baby, and unfortunately I have no more influence over what path he decides to take in terms of development plans than anyone else here does.

On a personal level though, I can definitely see what people mean when they say why spend 1.5 man-years (which in this case of course equates to 1.5 real years) on adding visualisations for example - which as wonderful and pretty as they undoubtedly are, hardly form a major part of what most users had been asking for from Poweramp. I just can't help wondering what other great features could have developed in the meantime if those 1.5 years of visualisations hadn't got in the way?

The latest I heard from Max was about a week ago, which was that he's spent the last month or so perfecting a 24-bit audio output feature for LG and a few other devices, which took a bit longer than he was expecting, and that he is "going to release a build in a week". I don't know which of the reported bugs will be resolved in this new build though (I did forward a bullet-point summary of all the issues that users were reporting back in January).

Andre

I do understand that from a developers point of view the challenge lies in working on the interesting/difficult parts, rather than working on, what must be, small (and perhaps tedious) bits of functionality. I myself am driven by feedback and comments i get from my users on my app but sometimes it is satifying to work on some complex functionality. I fully understand your position and your effort on this forum is greatly appreciated.

I voted for Material design but honestly I wish those song ratings could save permanently inside the song once and for all. After upgrading to Android 6.0 I lost them again. Wouldn't be a problem but having 3100+ songs it's gonna be one long process once again.

Falenone, i am not sure if you are aware but as a result of posts on this forum i developed the updating of the popm tag (rating and times played). This functionality is now available with New Playlist Manager. It is hoped that when pa releases the next version, it will use this tag so as a pa user you would have preserved all your ratings.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheoKlink said:

I posted "How to Update the Poweramp Playlist in android. " a while ago. Max promised to include this capability in the next release. Can this be confirmed?

I'm sure Max has it on his list, but you'd need to check with him about how soon he might get around to it.... :)

Andre

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, stevewilson said:

Album/playlist displayed via bluetooth.  And/or ability to contol song (pause/ff/rew, etc) via media buttons.  Especially steering wheel buttons on Android tablet car stereos. :)

Media control is already supported (if the bluetooth device supports it anyway). I use my car steering wheel controls for play/pause, and also for track/album forward or backward (single click for tracks, double-click for album/folder/etc). The device would need to provide the correct codes though.

Andre

Nope.  Can't find it.  Although actually, when I'm listening to music via bluetooth from my phone to the car stereo, the steering wheel buttons DO work.  I meant getting those buttons to work with Poweramp when it's installed and playing music that's on the car stereo itself.  The stereo gives me a menu of limited options to program those buttons, and none of those options give me the capability to program the buttons for anything other than the basic stereo features.

Steve

Archived