Poweramp alpha-build-700

maxmp

Pardon me for asking, but are the devs behind v7 the same people that wrote the original Poweramp or is it entirely different group? Somehow I have a feeling that these are 2 entirely different apps with the latter written from scratch. Or is it just me?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poweramp has always had the same dev (maxmp) but he has completely rewritten the underlying audio engine for v3, which is why it has taken so long to get this far. The user interface in alpha build 700 is still basically the old UI with a few tweaks though.

Andre

I have a phone, a Nexus 6P, that when you rotate it there is a slight "glitch" while it re-orientates itself (the Moto X Pure is the same way). This is "normal", to an extent.... But with the current Alpha-Build 700, the "glitch" is more pronounced and takes slightly longer than the stable version of Poweramp, as well as the other 2 audio players I have on my phone.  

Not sure why this is, but I wanted to report it. 

I am running a custom ROM, but it's been like this on 5 different stock (AOSP), and 2 different CM builds, whereas the others are less "glitchy".  

Just downgrade from Android L to KK, however the alpha release doesn't start anymore. The app stop running

It should work on KK, but perhaps is not expecting a downgrade? You could try uninstalling and re-installing (but remember you'll lose created playlists, etc).

Andre

I've noticed that sometimes commands seem to get 'held up' in a Bluetooth queue, I wonder if the same is happening with your system? I find that soon after Poweramp has started, sometimes (and it's intermittent) issuing commands such as Play/Pause or track changes from the car stereo has no effect... but about 1-2 minutes later all the pending commands suddenly trigger in quick succession. Could you try pressing Play and then leaving things alone for a few minutes to see if anything happens?

Andre

Although it never happens to me even after hours of normal playback and will only happen after a call, I will try this and report back.

Also of note is that today, I made a call during playback and even though the music did not resume after the call ended, this time it accepted the manual "play" command from the bluetooth, first time it happened to me, not sure what's different as i haven't changed anything in my phone in months..

I've ran multiple tests, it is not the bluetooth keeping pending commands but Poweramp that does not accept them.

The best example I have was when I accepted an incoming call, I pressed the bluetooth's call button to end it (it worked), then used the bluetooth's display to read an SMS message (it has that capability) and THEN, used its' menu to re-dial the last number that called me. Between each of those actions I would press the play button to try and resume playback with no success with Poweramp being the frontground app (it was open and on-screen).

Like before, taping the app's play button worked immediately and after that it resumed accepting commands from the bluetooth as well.

It should work on KK, but perhaps is not expecting a downgrade? You could try uninstalling and re-installing (but remember you'll lose created playlists, etc).

Andre

When downgrade I did hard reset, To reinstall was my first try, didn't work. So I'm back to the previous version and waiting for the next release.

When downgrade I did hard reset, To reinstall was my first try, didn't work. So I'm back to the previous version and waiting for the next release.

Interesting, it's working fine for me and a number of other people in Kitkat (although I did install it as an in-place update, which I suspect is how most people are doing it). If the regular build is now working again for you, could you try installing the alpha over the top?

Andre

As other people have mentioned I ran into issues with the status bar controls since upgrading to MM. When I slide down from the status bar and before the notification expands to a bigger size, the control are visible. The moment I slide down further and the notification expands, the controls go all white (almost invisible on the white background) and become unusable. The album art itself grows correctly. 

The only way to get it to show again is by either stopping the current song and starting it again (controls reappear when sliding down now) or by going into settings - look and feel - status bar / notification and toggling the inverse notification colors option.

Any ideas?

EDIT

Fixed description

I finally could test this alpha thoroughly.

Sound presents a little problem: from time to time (but not periodically), a subtle "click" can be heard overimposed on the music, like if I were listening to a vinyl disc, like static.

To make sure the culprit wasn't the headphones or the terminal, I installed latest "official" build, 584, and the sound is pristine, so the problem only happens in alpha version. Tested with the exact same songs.

The problem with the covers exists both in the alpha 700 and in official 584, though.

I have been testing the alpha build for some time now, and it's quite stable already for an alpha build. Unfortunately, the track skipping bug (taking several seconds up to some minutes to switch to the next track, pause etc.) is still present. In contrast to older versions, a message that Poweramp is not responding is displayed now. Would be reallly cool if this bug could be fixed soon.

It's probably been covered, but is there any way to make the time longer before the "Visualization" starts? Right now, it's only about 3 seconds after you hit "play" ..... Would like the ability to make it 5 or even 10 seconds (or customizable).   

Thanks Max, and Happy New Year!

I've set up this separate sub-forum for discussions of anything related to v3 builds, so comments and reports are easier to track. Please ONLY post your v3 testing experiences here, not new feature requests or bug reports for the released version of the app. Thanks.

And remember this is still an incomplete ALPHA test, so to avoid tears before bedtime please BACKUP your current system before testing!

To backup your existing v2 Poweramp settings and database you will need use a file explorer app to make a copy of the contents of the root folder: /data/data/com.maxmpz.audioplayer/

Then to roll back, first uninstall the v3 test release, then reinstall the older v2 release (from the Play Store or from the apk available on this site) and then restore the contents of that backed-up folder.

This can also be done automatically via an app such as Titanium Backup, which can save the whole app+data in one go thus allowing you to reinstall the old version with a single tap.

Andre

Hi.

I I want to create a backup to use incase I want to reinstall v2, do I need my phone to bee rooted to do this?

Yes, if you want to access the /data/data directory your device needs to be rooted. You can export settings and playlist from the main app though, which does mostly the same sort of thing.

Andre

Thanks Andre.

I'm not rooted so I'll just export my settings and playlists as you've mentioned.  Appreciate your help.

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest mmg, i am not holding my breath!!. Max has also indicated that he is more interested on focussing on the audio engine rather than servicing/delivering user requests. I am happy with the current music quality (and many users have endorsed this) so a marginal improvement seems to be effort misspent.

Neither do i care about visualisations as i do not sit staring at my phone when playing music. In short, given that the next release most probably will not include what most users want, my expectations have been lowered considerably.

To be honest mmg, i am not holding my breath!!. Max has also indicated that he is more interested on focussing on the audio engine rather than servicing/delivering user requests. I am happy with the current music quality (and many users have endorsed this) so a marginal improvement seems to be effort misspent.

Neither do i care about visualisations as i do not sit staring at my phone when playing music. In short, given that the next release most probably will not include what most users want, my expectations have been lowered considerably.

I totally agree. the current sound quality is fine (alpha version) not in the visual spectrum of care. but application interface must be more simple. It should be more available. most requested thing material design in future releases. but still no change in the interface. dark theme should now shift to a more open interface. Whatever it is so long I'm waiting for the new version. I checked 25 times in 20 days and no! I'm afraid it was time to split ways with the application I used fondly for years to come.

I'm sorry for my english. I do not know very well.

The importend thing for a player for music is  the quality of the playback. The visualization of music on the smartphone is unimportant. You can use that on the PC.
It would be nice even if you could download more cover art from the Internet - as in PlayerPro.
I agree with the previous speakers. I also expect eagerly a new version with a working Bluetooth interface.

Have there been any changes affecting how album art is sent to an Android Wear device?  Currently, my watch displays the song info and play/pause button, but will only display black behind it, no album art, until I turn on the screen on my phone briefly.  This happens for each song, if the screen of my phone turns on at any time during that single song, then album art is properly displayed on my watch, but otherwise, as it goes from one track to another, the watch looses the art and just displays black.

Neither do i care about visualisations as i do not sit staring at my phone when playing music.

I wonder how many people have asked for this... oh wait, we can take a look at the forums... maybe 7- 10 people? How many have asked for ducking audio@notification?.... I counted 27 on a single thread, and there are at least 7 (probably more) threads asking for this feature that could be added with a few lines of code...

Archived