Poweramp alpha-build-700

maxmp

Just tested the alpha, dam, the new audio engine is amazing! 

I can deal with a Gingerbread UI for another year with this new audio engine, no problem at all!  :D

I mean, look at Titanium Backup, Gingerbread UI too, but gets the job done that's why is highly praised, Poweramp is the same, both of these apps aren't the top on their categories for nothing, the developers focus first on the core functionality, on TB it's doing backups and on Poweramp is getting out the most amazing sounds of our phones.

You know there's plenty of players in the market that offer Material UI but look at their equalizer, it's garbage, no match for Poweramp.

About the visualizer, I remember how I loved that on my PC, with Winamp (RIP) but on my phone I just don't see myself using it for a lot of reasons, battery, small screen not as beatiful as looking truh the monitor. In other words I'm not using it, can't give much feedback on that.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my first post on the forums, I solely registered to ask for a Full Material Design, I have ditched this player ONLY because it did not update to any material design yet. Im using things like Shuttle+ to enjoy Google's beauty UI. Just tried the Beta v3, and its way too far from being Material Design, I feel like Im on the ICS or Gingerbread days. For god's sake team, release something with Material Design ! How may one star rating this app is getting from old users like me because of the UGLY UI it currently has ? 

Peace

The UI wasn't "ugly" at that time when you bought Poweramp, it has the same UI and all other functionality working up to latest Android version and theres a huge rework in alpha stage.

It's your opinion but don't expect changing your rating to 1 star is going to help improve Poweramp at all.

I solely registered to ask for a Full Material Design, I have ditched this player ONLY because it did not update to any material design yet ... I feel like Im on the ICS or Gingerbread days. For god's sake team, release something with Material Design !

So let me get this straight... you'd rather use an audio player which has what you consider to be a prettier (or more trendy?) interface - and let's face it, the jury is still out on whether Material Design is actually a better thing or just the latest fad - rather than using an app with better audio playback features? Tell me, do you spend more time looking at your music or listening to it?

I've gone on record before saying that I'd be really happy to see 'Material' inspired elements just as long as they make Poweramp a better or easier-to-use player, but not solely to make it look trendy or become a cookie-cutter copy of someone else's design. So what specific changes would you like?

In contrast, other users post feature-related comments such as:

Material Skin its the last thing we need, we want Chromecast support!

Andre

I just purchased the app unlocker to try out this player on the Sony ZX2 Walkman and I have to hand it to you, what an improvement sound wise. Just the sorting options/configurability alone are an upgrade. I was so pleasantly surprised at the sound, I wasn't expecting it at all. Great Job!

Just a couple minor problems I've having on my end, when the screen is left off and I use the physical play button on the side of the walkman the stock player tends to play instead of or on top of Poweramp. I've tried disabling all lockscreens etc but I can't find a way to bypass sony's stock player. It's minor but a solution would definitely be appreciated.

The other problem is with some high res material, my HD Tracks copy of Cannonball Adderly: Somethin' Else (24 bit 192 khz) album refuses to play. I have other material at that bitrate that will play with the player and the tracks in question play just fine with the stock player. I'm not really sure what's going on there but figured you'd like to know.

Thanks again

Just a couple minor problems I've having on my end, when the screen is left off and I use the physical play button on the side of the walkman the stock player tends to play instead of or on top of poweramp. I've tried disabling all lockscreens etc but I can't find a way to bypass sony's stock player. It's minor but a solution would definitely be appreciated.

The other problem is with some high res material, my HD Tracks copy of Cannonball Adderly: Somethin' Else (24 bit 192 khz) album refuses to play. I have other material at that bitrate that will play with the player and the tracks in question play just fine with the stock player. I'm not really sure what's going on there but figured you'd like to know.

Is this related to the alpha test version downloaded from this forum, or the regular version from the app store? If it's the alpha version and you've got HQ files which don't play (what format, FLAC?) could you share a copy of one of them for testing?

If the stock player is starting when you don't want it to, try Disabling that app via the Android Settings menu > Application Manager.

Andre

Not sure if this has been brought up, but for the first time, I tested this connecting to SYNC blue-tooth in our Ford Fusion car. I have it set to resume on a blue-tooth connection (just like headphones);.

With headphones/aux chord in the headphone jack, it resumes play where I left off.

With blue-tooth, it resumes from the beginning of whatever track I was in the middle of.

Otherwise, still a great alpha. It's my daily music player.

Two things I've noticed, first is that when I try to use gestures to skip to the next album the rating stars will show up and block me, I'll accidentally rate a track instead. Could do with an option to disable that ui element on the main screen, or even ratings entirely ;)

Other one is that I use a tablet in the car with an external HDD, upon key off the voume dismounts and tasker pauses Poweramp, however on power on the track will start from the beginning instead of resuming upon volume mount.

Kind of an edge case but its be handy if it were fixed!

Other than that works great, the new sound engine sounds a bit better. Top work as always.

Works great on my LG, Love it. only thing i found was unable to skip to a certain part from lockscreen. When i slide the bar it just restarts the song from the beginning. But it says its at "2:25,etc." Other than that i love it. Pretty stable, no crashes, maybe the Visualizations are off a bit but not my much. Few ppl would notice. Other than that great job team Poweramp.:) I hope its a free update to people who all ready purchased the unlocker.<3 Cant wait for the official release. Hoping for a surprise feature or something though ;)

This new alpha version works almost like charm :D Well, almost. App has some problem when re-scanning music library (which is quite huge in my case, some 700 tracks or so). On my Xperia E Dual, Poweramp closed when completed scanning. I don't know what can cause this problem, I've launched it again, it correctly added all new tracks to database.

I've created some files in OPUS using dBPowerAmp Music Converter. Poweramp plays all of them with no problems, volume is correct.

There seems to be some problem with hamburger menu, sometimes it gets partially overlapped by cover picture.

Loving the sound quality of the player, however i get some crackling and skipping every now and then any idea why that happens?

Nexus 5X with bass and treble EQ settings with 15% on bass.

Resampler is SOX and dithering Low Shibata Noise Shaping.

Output plugin OpenSL ES Output.

Is it just because of the resampler and dithering being slow processing or what?

Is this related to the alpha test version downloaded from this forum, or the regular version from the app store? If it's the alpha version and you've got HQ files which don't play (what format, FLAC?) could you share a copy of one of them for testing?

If the stock player is starting when you don't want it to, try Disabling that app via the Android Settings menu > Application Manager.

Andre

Hi Andre,

I'd be happy to share the file with you. Yes this is the Alpha build. Please let me know where to send it and I'll try and have it in your hands by the end of the day.

There's also no options with the Sony Walkman zx2 to disable the stock app. I'm sure this is exclusive to the device as its a music player and not a phone. The android version is 4.2

I'd be happy to share the file with you. Yes this is the Alpha build. Please let me know where to send it and I'll try and have it in your hands by the end of the day.

Can you share via Dropbox or similar? They will probably be too large for emailing.

Andre

No Gingerbread support?

Come on guys, don't leave me hanging. I like my phone. Going to XDA for a newer version, unoptimized version of Android is a PITA.

Gingerbread? Damn, I hate to say it but you're probably due for a new phone.. That OS is over 5 years old and I don't expect any real support coming for it - rather more and more apps will stop being compatible with it.

Supporting older Android versions, for developers, is just a major hassle that causes a bunch of unnecessary issues and time wasting with the only end result that people running a version that's like half a decade old can use the app.

Two issues I found with this alpha build:

- From time to time it suddenly stops playing (in the middle of a song), could not reproduce or find out why this happens. I never observed such behaviour with the playstore versions

- Sleeptimer: "Play last song to end" is ticked but Poweramp stops playing just after the configured time and doesn't play till the end of the track. This behaviour is strictly reproducible.

Archived