[6.0] Broken tag editor

Due to M storage API changes builtin tag editor is partially broken. It works for songs that are on emulated SD but it doesn't on external one.

Currently Android mounts my sdcard on /storage/49C7-1F12/ and if I select edit tags I get "File can't be edited - file is read-only or no permission to write" dialog with "Get support" button and if I press back button I get dialog with "Grant access" button which does nothing at all.

I can't seem to see anything useful in logcat so I'm not posting it.

------

Phone: Moto G 2014 LTE (thea)

Have you tried the two tricks which worked with Lollipop? Try deleting a track and use the Grant Access feature there to set up access. Also, make sure that the SD Card has an assigned name when you format it.

Andre

First trick seems to work just fine. Thanks

• 10 months later...

On 11/14/2015 at 6:39 AM, andrewilley said:

Have you tried the two tricks which worked with Lollipop? Try deleting a track and use the Grant Access feature there to set up access. Also, make sure that the SD Card has an assigned name when you format it.

Andre

I've got the same issue, but the two tricks you mentioned doesn't seem to fix it. 

Worked when using Lollipop though, after upgrading to Marshmallow, it doesn't. 

17 hours ago, andrewilley said:

Should still work in MM. Try to delete a song, then use the Grant Access dialogue to find the root of your SD Card and select it.

Andre

Once I try to grant permission to delete a file, it says access granted, but after that when trying to delete the file once again(you know, to get rid of it)  it asks for permission once again. 

Been stuck in this loop, I'm not able to edit tags too because of this. 

Maybe it's a problem with Android 6.0.1 assigning uniques IDs to SDcard. If so, will max fix it I'm the next update? 

On 9/29/2016 at 2:37 PM, andrewilley said:

Should still work in MM. Try to delete a song, then use the Grant Access dialogue to find the root of your SD Card and select it.

Andre

Yes,I'm well aware that I'm supposed to select the root level of my sdcard,  and I'm selecting the root level of my sdcard. 

And I'm aware that selecting just a folder in my sdcard can break the functionality of the app. 

8 hours ago, andrewilley said:

I'd be interested to know if you have the same problems with the alpha-test version of Poweramp v3 , in case that helps?

Andre

Yes, I can confirm the same issue with the latest alpha v3 704 

Can you do something about this? Why only Poweramp is suffering this? 

On 10/1/2016 at 3:26 PM, andrewilley said:

I can't do anything myself, as I'm only a forum moderator. I'm sure Max (the dev) will work around Google's latest changes-to-annoy-users, but I don't know when I'm afraid.

Andre

On 10/1/2016 at 5:40 AM, andrewilley said:

I'd be interested to know if you have the same problems with the alpha-test version of Poweramp v3 , in case that helps?

Andre

I've tried both the alpha v3 and the regular v2 versions, both suffer the same problem. 

I'm happy to hear that Max will be looking into the problem. 

Also from the Poweramp tweets, I think the beta will be here soon, hopefully it might fix this issue. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Hrishie said:

When can we expect a stable v3 update ? It's about time ? 

I'd love to see a new test release too, but I think the UI development work is taking rather longer than expected as Max has had to re-write a lot of underlying code.

Andre

• 1 month later...

I rather doubt this will ever be addressed in the v2 builds of Poweramp, as all of Max's time is going into v3 at the moment to get the user interface ready for a beta-release stage. He's trying to avoid any distractions that are not "show-stopper" severity, and an inability to edit file tags is not really a serious issue when there are so many apps and PC programs out there that can do the job a lot better than a music player ever would.

Andre

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so file tag editing is not available on the current version?  I was trying to edit the tags on files stored on the SD card however the files became unplayable afterwards.  Poweramp sees these files as "Unknown Artist" so I can play them however they don't show up under the correct artist.  

Tag editing works fine in the current version (release build and alpha-test). There are some issues with SD Card grant access on recent versions of Android though, but if that happens you simply won't be able to write to the files at all. I wonder if there's something odd in the files' tag format in the first place? 

Andre

Archived