Removing folder from folderlist (without removing it from the phone) and more

Edit: post turned into more questions/suggestions than what's in the title so added the "and more".

Hi!

I have just recently (like a second ago) gotten this app on trial and so far I really like it. I do however have a few problems with it so these are questions rather than requests for implementation (in case these functions are there already idk?):

1. Removing songs from playlists without doing it from the phone seems a lot more complicated than it should be (having to go through library instead of doing it while browsing directly in any given playlist).

Will the feature to remove songs from playlists only (while in the playlist) be implemented (like maybe just an icon besides the "delete from phone" one)? The standard option to delete songs from the memory card is not good imho.

2. I keep most of my music in a single folder. When I go to folders I see the camera folder, notifications, ringtones etc. Is there a way to remove/hide folders from the folder list (temporarily ideally to be able to get them back in the list should I want to) to speed up selection by getting rid of folders with irrelevant audio?

3. Tying in to question 1 here the "remove from sd card" standard is very "dangerous" as it could delete not only songs accidentally but folders too it seems.

Is it possible to make that option password protected as an alternative to the yes/no immediate choice (so I would have to hit a password or something to confirm that I want to delete something entirely from phone/memorycard)?

It could be optional maybe from a menu alongside the very quick yes or no confirmation there atm. As it is right now a couple of wrong clicks and songs and entire folders could disappear from my phone(!). 

Thankful for all help.

1. Longpress on a song title within a Playlist and press 'Delete' to remove it from the Playlist. Personally I'd prefer if the word 'Delete' was changed to something like 'Remove' for the Playlist menu, as otherwise it might worry people that they are about to Delete the file from storage, which is what would happen in other locations where the word 'Delete' is used.

2. Poweramp Settings > Folders and Library > Music Folders. De-select any places you don't want scanned (personally I work the other way, and de-select everything on the device except for my single music folder)

3. Delete should always prompt before continuing, but if it still worries you then it's possible to disable it completely in Poweramp Settings > Look and Feel > General.

I guess there's always a balance in dangerous command actions between making an app quick, flexible and powerful, versus preventing accidental use:

Are You Sure? (yes/no)
REALLY sure? (YES/NO)
This will delete your file you know... (Yes, I Know! / Oops, I Didn't Realise That)
Just to be really, really sure, you won't be able to use this file ever again if you delete it (Just Delete the Bloody Thing, OK!!! / Phew, I must have pressed the wrong button four times, thanks for saving me)
OK, so would you like to install Windows Vista UAC, which stopped you from doing pretty-much anything without prompting? (Y/N)

:)

Andre

Big thank you first off for the helpful reply.

1. I have posed that question a bit wrong (blame it on very limited use of both the app and smartphone so far).

I see now that pressing the song title in the bottom leads me to "all songs" when I have entered from a playlist before.

Suggestion then is to just be taken back to the playlist (not "all songs") to be able to delete from there temporarily rather than being taken to "all songs" . Is that a possible thing to fix? It's just two extra presses sure but it's "counterintuitive" whatever the proper english word for that is here(?).

^My menus are not in english so hopefully what I'm asking is clear(?).

2. Awesome help big thank you. No further question about that it's exactly what I wanted to know :)

3. Yes it does prompt but it prompts for complete deletion from the device/memorycard with just one click on a small screen.

Shutting it off means I can't delete anything it seems (temporarily either). Normally, like on a PC, first option isn't to delete the file immediately you have to go through the bin unless you shift-delete. I just think the option to delete completely is too easy to access (password protection in settings could work maybe?). Especially compared to the option to just delete from a playlist temporarily (but keep on phone) which is just a bit overly difficult to access.

Should be the first option imho tying into question 1.

All in all though so far very happy with the app. Seems superior to the standard player in most ways if not all of them. As a very late smartphone owner this will probably be my first purchased app.

If you start playing from a Playlist, then tapping on the song title in the Player screen will return you back to viewing the current playlist, not to the All Songs screen. Any time you press the Delete icon from the Playlist view, or when playing from a Playlist, will result in that song being removed from the playlist (only), with no further prompting.

As I said before, I personally think one "Are you sure" prompt is enough to remind you that you are about to delete something, and it suffices everywhere else in photo galleries, file explorers, etc. Especially as you can turn Poweramp's Delete feature off completely if you are worried. People do have to take some responsibility for their own actions after all.

Andre

Thanks again for the very helpful reply. I found I also needed to select the SD-card to do a full deletion (so I guess it's possible to unselect that too and have to go through selection process again...that's probably failsafe enough in my book). Still seems a bit easy to delete entire folders but that's just me maybe. At the same time I like to have the option of full deletion so it's a double-edged sword.

About the playlist question though my player doesn't do what you say it does. It puts me back to the library and "all songs" when accessing back from the song title no matter what which is very annoying. My playlist has 357 songs but going back by clicking on the song title it then registers 416 songs and the deletion is the permanent option; even when I accessed from playlists in the first place. 

Is this something setting related? If so what do I do? So far I only have one playlist (if that could cause the problem idk?).

^Edit: can add that I tried going by folder and artist now and pressing the song title in those cases puts me back into the folder or to the artist (like you described with playlist)...but from here the deletion option is also the permanent one so that doesn't help me. If I could go back to the playlist the same way when pressing the song title just like you described that would be absolutely perfect (last thing between me and a buy right now).

I can't duplicate what you are seeing. When playing from a Playlist (so that the icon on the left of the song title is the list symbol) a tap on the song title returns me to the Playlist screen, with the currently playing song in focus. I can't think currently of an option which would change this functionality - anyone?

Andre

Problem appears solved. If anyone experiences the same I cleared cache, cleared data, deleted all playlists and reinstalled the player and suddenly it goes back properly.

^As for why it wouldn't before I have no idea(?). Minor bug maybe? If it's relevant information the first playlist I tried using before doing all of this was created with the normal/standard player. I deleted that one along with the data.

Big thank you for all the help this was the last thing I needed to get working to warrant the purchase. :)

Edit: nope wasn't a bug at all. It seems I simply didn't realize something as simple as the shuffle function being sophisticated enough to have more options than just...well...shuffle or not. I just never checked it properly. So used to playing music from old walkmans (facepalm).

100% user related problem in other words me being a massively derpy individual. Again big thank you for the patience and all the friendly and helpful replies throughout.

Ah, so you'd started by playing from a playlist, but Shuffle was set to something like All Songs, so the second song wasn't actually from a playlist at all. Yes, you can set the Shuffle mode in various ways (for example to shuffle the current album's songs, and then move on to the next album in order and shuffle that).

Andre

Archived