Configurable time delay between left/right output

Hi folks,

When I was evolved in the car audiophile domain, one of my best trick was time delaying each of my speakers to achieve the best possible sound stage when in the driver seat. The idea is to set the sound so waves of each speakers reach your ears at the same time even if your not centered.

Now, as smartphone are common music sources in cars and have the processing power for such plugin, I'm really interested to see that option getting more attention, even if we only control over the left/right output.

So, here is my feature idea:

Independent delay for the left and right channel, in 0.1ms increments(the lower, the better, 1ms is roughly 1ft in sound distance).

Thank you and feel free to ask me any questions.

A nice idea - but as this is relevant only to the a specific output stage and speakers (in this case the car stereo) it seems odd that it's not implemented there? My car stereo does have 'driver' and 'all passengers' stage settings, but I assumed this was only basic balance adjustment, but maybe there's a delay factor too?

Andre

Hey Andre, if your radio has a "driver stage setting" it almost certainly add delay on the driver side speaker. But this setting is far from common, most car stereo have balance and fader, nothing more to tune the staging image.

Note that it is not only useful in car application, anytime you want to fine tune a listening location that is not perfectly centred, this option is the key.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived