Can't edit Tags on *Labeled* external SD Card (Lollipop)

I am running Poweramp 2.0.10-build-579-play (Full Version) on a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 running stock Android 5.0.1.

I am unable to edit tags when the song file is on the external SD card.  I have read that the SD Card must have a label for
this feature to work in Android Lollipop devices, so I added a label to the card (on my Windows PC), but even after doing this,
I am still unable to edit tags.  I have also ensured that all files and folders I am trying to update do not have the read-only
attribute set.

Here are the exact error messages I'm seeing.

From menu, select Info/Tags
Select Edit Tags button

I get the following message:
   Error!
   File can't be edited - file is read-only or no permission to write

I hit the "Get Support" button on this error message.

This just dismisses the message and shows another message (which was "hiding" underneath the first message)
   Error!
   No write access to the file.  To enable access, please select SD card in the Grant Access dialog, then try again

I hit the "Grant Access" button.
This only dismisses the error message.

• 4 months later...

Are there alternative methods to edit file without rooting the device such as the Star Music Tag Editor on play store or does it only work with Star Editor music player? I am leary of rooting my device due to being unfamiliar with the term and results.

Yes, on a Lollipop device you should be able to override the Android block on accessing SD Cards from within the app. You may need to ensure that your SD Card has an actual label (name) assigned to it. I can't remember how to do this on the phone, but on a PC it's in the Properties page for that storage device.

Try to delete a music file from within Poweramp, and it will initially say that the card is locked. Select the 'Grant Access' option and then choose the SD card area that you want to use. Once that's done, Poweramp should have write-access to that location for re-writing tags, deleting files, etc.

Andre

• 1 year later...

I just downloaded free trial. Edited the tag on two songs and now the will not play at all. Get message "Failed to play file" worked fine until I edited the tag! 5 minutes after download and already disappointed. If I could edit tags without damaging songs I would have bought app 

Sounds like the tag formatting might not have been completely to standard in the first place. On a normally formatted file, you should be able to edit basic tags from within Poweramp. Although personally I prefer using dedicated batch-capable programs for the task, such as TagScanner on my PC.

Andre

Archived