I believe it is something that is being planned for the future.

Personally, I'm still rather old-school, the only things I put in the cloud are things I want to share with other people. My own stuff stays on my own devices, where I can always get at it.

Andre

• 2 months later...

Upvoting this feature Request. Several options in play store, but given the quality and beauty of PA, this is something the app feels lacking without.

I too am old school in having hardware to store my valuables, but after losing an array from a fried ups (including the 2TB of music within, not to mention scanned tax and business docs, photos and videos... Thanks power co.!), I'll trust my collection to banks of servers in farms larger than stadiums with multi-layered backups.

I'm sure the general client base would agree with me that Drive, Box, OneDrive, Dropbox and possibly Mega support is worth an extra few from the pocketbook.. I'd gladly pay, even to Beta the feature.

Last I read from Max was that streaming playback was a lowish priority, as he feels Poweramp's main function is to provide superior audio playback quality, and streaming from the cloud doesn't do that.

Convenient yes, but at the expense of quality loss.

Andre

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I would definitely like that option! My phone has only 12gb of storage and no sd slot (if I'd realized this before purchasing I wouldn't have gone near it) so I've had to seriously cut down the amount of music on my device. Being able to play from a cloud storage would be VERY much appreciated.

• 2 years later...
On 7/30/2015 at 5:23 PM, andrewilley said:

Last I read from Max was that streaming playback was a lowish priority, as he feels Poweramp's main function is to provide superior audio playback quality, and streaming from the cloud doesn't do that.

Convenient yes, but at the expense of quality loss.

Andre

We are not living in iron Age. 200mbps here 

• 9 months later...
On 5/12/2015 at 2:03 AM, andrewilley said:

I believe it is something that is being planned for the future.

Personally, I'm still rather old-school, the only things I put in the cloud are things I want to share with other people. My own stuff stays on my own devices, where I can always get at it.

Andre

Really, since 2015? Not anything yet? I guess, since it is 2019 and going on second half of that year, that this will never ever happen. Not everyone has money to buy a new phone or new micro sd card larger for larger music collections.

I do agree that cloud support would be interesting but I wouldn't trade the Poweramp focus on quality to focus on streaming...

The option that appeals to me is streaming from local storage, I have a lan server (smb and ftp) with my terabyte of music but I have absolutely no problem on copying my favorite music to my phone storage and sd card to listen to it, principally considering almost all of my library is hi-res. That's actually I nice thing, it's good to think about what you want to carry with you.

Also for this

On 9/12/2018 at 2:49 PM, Freddy Daniel said:

We are not living in iron Age. 200mbps here 

Unfortunately not everyone can relate as, for example, my connection still comes from the telephone cable with the max speed of 1,2mbytes/s for download, which is very rare to it work at that rate, and the upload is a fraction of that.

As much as connection and wireless technologies had evolved over the years, there's still places where internet connection isn't as easy or it's so bad that you would prefer not having internet at all than dealing with what you can get.

On 7/10/2019 at 5:49 PM, devbydylan said:

Then this feature probably wouldn't be relevant for you.

What I meant by pointing that is, yeah we are on 2019 and yadda yadda technology but not every place in the world has amazing connection speeds yet, or it might even do but at astronomical prices. Same as not everyone in the world use streaming as it's primary option for music, principally when we're talking about quality stuff. Local streaming is still doable since lan speeds usually are good enough for that even with cheap routers but yeah not much beyond that.

Again, Poweramp focus on quality was what brought many of us and is what still keeps many of us. More features are always welcomed but let's not make it into one of those random wannabes that we see on thousands when we search for audio players on the play store...

3 minutes ago, ScarletNeko said:

Same as not everyone in the world use streaming as it's primary option for music, principally when we're talking about quality stuff

Personally, I do not stream any music (or video/TV) on any of my home or mobile devices. I occasionally use TV catchup services, but the quality is so low compared to a decent HD broadcast with 5.1 sound (and they often add annoying logos) that I try to make sure I record anything I know I'm going to want. All of my music is downloaded and stored locally, either on my phone or my NAS. It would be nice to be able to play directly from the NAS while at home, but otherwise I always listen from the SD Card on my phone.

Andre

10 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

but the quality is so low compared to a decent HD broadcast with 5.1 sound (and they often add annoying logos) that I try to make sure I record anything I know I'm going to want.

I can really relate to that, it's just like me. As we have this problem here with connection speeds, the quality of streaming is just so bad that I prefer downloading my media to watch/listen it. But even when I go to somewhere with good connection speeds, it just isn't as good as downloaded media, period. Principally video, I never had seen any piece of video from any streaming service that weren't bitstarving at some point, and holy moly how that blocky mess makes me uncomfortable even if it's just for some seconds...

15 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

All of my music is downloaded and stored locally, either on my phone or my NAS. It would be nice to be able to play directly from the NAS while at home, but otherwise I always listen from the SD Card on my phone.

I can also second this, I have quite a library on my local storages and I carry what I like the most on my phone SD card, occasionally switching some albums for others. It would be really nice to be able to listen them directly from a NAS while at home without losing the quality and without burning internet connection with rocket fuel, but yeah SD cards exist for a reason.

It's not like I'm some kind of "people against streaming" ambassador but, yeah it just isn't good enough for me, and looks like I'm not the only one that thinks like this 😄

2 hours ago, ScarletNeko said:

It's not like I'm some kind of "people against streaming" ambassador 

Some good points there, glad I'm not the only Luddite around here. :)

One other issue I have with online / 'virtual' services (and getting a little off-topic here, but hey) is the lack of permanency. Yes, you can stream all this stuff, and yes you can "purchase" films and music, but they often only continue to be useful to you while you continue to subscribe to the service and/or the company & service continues to trade - especially with DRM-protected content.

Books in the Microsoft Store are a good example of this: when that store closes imminently, all of your purchased and even free books will simply disappear. However all of my own books, CDs, DVDs, BluRays, etc sitting there on my shelf at home (and ripped onto my NAS for convenience in some cases) are mine forever - wherever, whenever and however I wish to access them. I can even sell them, or pass them on to my family in my will. OK, I do realise that the likes of Amazon and Netflix etc are probably not going away any time soon, but can you guarantee that their purchased/streamed content will still be available to you in 10, 20, or even 50 years? And can you re-sell it, or pass it on in your will?

Oh, and Netflix, Amazon Video, Hulu, Warner Video, Disney Video, and any other new starters... I don't want everything I watch to be via a separate purchased account and your own proprietary interfaces! I want a single media player interface that I can customise and catalogue the way I want, providing the same interface, buttons, functions and features, for everything I watch. This is why I like apps like Kodi at home and Poweramp  on mobile (phew, back on topic!), as they are highly configurable to my wishes and can play everything I have (well, apart from my original VHS tapes and vinyl that I haven't yet ripped to digital files). 

Andre

5 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

One other issue I have with online / 'virtual' services (and getting a little off-topic here, but hey) is the lack of permanency. Yes, you can stream all this stuff, and yes you can "purchase" films and music, but they often only continue to be useful to you while you continue to subscribe to the service and/or the company & service continues to trade - especially with DRM-protected content.

I couldn't had said it better. That's a good point, although I don't use streaming services for movies and things like this, I always listen to people talking about things they like and aren't available anymore. And about the purchased point, that's a dangerous word. "Purchased", as it is not really yours and it's not on your hands. It's almost like "you think you purchased but it's still in our domains and we can do whatever we want with it".

9 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

CDs, DVDs, BluRays, etc sitting there on my shelf at home (and ripped onto my NAS for convenience in some cases) are mine forever - wherever, whenever and however I wish to access them. I can even sell them, or pass them on to my family in my will.

Again, I couldn't had said that better. And there's yet more, with the passing of the years, sometimes it's really nice to find that movie or that disc you once loved or had good memories about it. I have myself for example, some CDs from when I was a child and I remember listening them with my mother, and although I can find them digitally, it's just not the same thing... There's some emotional value attached to them as well. And as you said, well, it's ours, there's no expiring date, there's no risk of "the service stopping", there's no additional fees, and if taken good care of, it will last for another couple of decades.

15 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

Oh, and Netflix, Amazon Video, Hulu, Warner Video, Disney Video, and any other new starters... I don't want everything I watch to be via a separate purchased account and your own proprietary interfaces!

For me watching it from outside is even kinda funny, but yeah indeed, that's ridiculous. Now you need to install X apps, pay X different services (that do the same thing but has different names) because each piece of media you want is in one of them, that's annoying as hell. I can't even imagine if I were dependant of those services to manage my media as I have quite a few terabytes of.

Or maybe not, it could be even easier, I mean, I can't find almost anything I have on those services anyway.

21 minutes ago, andrewilley said:

This is why I like apps like Kodi at home and Poweramp  on mobile (phew, back on topic!), as they are highly configurable to my wishes and can play everything I have

Well, back on tracks, yeah nothing as good as having your media (the real "your", things that are on your domain without depending of a subscription) organized on a single player. That's one of the main reasons I'm so linked to Poweramp. The wide range of supported formats, the astonishing playback quality and the nice UI (let's be honest, the UI makes a big difference for everyday use), it's literally one app for all audio needs (non streaming audio obviously).

People fill their phones with random stuff (maybe they even have SD card slot but is not being used) and feel completely ok, but downloading music? Oh hell no who does that? Let's leave it for subscription services to deal with, I just want to click one button and have access to "million of albums" in which I'll not listen once in my life. Oh also, they never have problems with internet connection, they'll have everything working perfectly always. Guaranteed.

Archived