Jump to content
Poweramp

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I have noticed that this seems to be a pretty common issue on the forums but have yet to actually find a thread where the advice helped me. My problem, for those yet unfamiliar with this issue, is that my playlists aren't being properly imported into Poweramp when I sync my phone music with windows media player. The playlist shows up, but the player says that there are 0 songs in it.

 

Here is a list of all the things I have tried to remedy this situation so far, along with descriptions of how I tried to implement them:

 

1. Saving the playlist in different places

-In wmp (or rather, in my computer), I have all my song files in a folder called 'Music', with no separation by sub-folders. The only subfolder in 'Music' is a folder called 'Playlists' where wmp saves my playlist file in .wpl format.

-I created a folder called Playlists inside the music folder on my android where wmp is sending all the synced songs, and put my playlist directly into there. Still no luck, Poweramp is entirely clueless that this playlist even exists.

 

Possible problems with this fix:

-When I sync songs to my android, windows media player puts them in the android's music folder, however it separates them into subfolder within the music folder by artists. For example \MyAndroid\Music\blink-182\FirstDate.mp3 as opposed to \MyComputer\Music\FirstDate.mp3 so it could be that the playlist file expects the song files to be one folder above it, only to discover that they aren't there since wmp saves them into subfolders within the android music folder.

 

2. Convering the playlist to .m3u format

-I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing this, I assumed that simply changing the extension on the file from .wpl to .m3u would do the trick but it doesn't seem to have, Poweramp remains cluesless as to what's going on.

 

Is there anything I can do about this short of paying more money for a different app?

 

 

Additional info:

-I religiously made sure that all the relevant folders were checked via settings in Poweramp, so the problem isn't that Poweramp isn't looking where I want it to look. Neither a rescan not a restart seems to give it a hint.

-The song files in the playlist still show up in my library. Poweramp has no problem recognizing the mp3 and wma files that I am importing, only playlists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poweramp tries its best to second-guess changed directory structures, but if your sync software has created a completely different folder tree then you could be in trouble.

Try making a subset of your desired playlist as 'M3U' format - just choose a couple of lines at first. The format actually needs to be nothing more than a simple filename.mp3, or path\filename.mp3, on each line of a text file. Any relative paths should start from the location where you want to keep your playlist file.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poweramp tries its best to second-guess changed directory structures, but if your sync software has created a completely different folder tree then you could be in trouble.

Try making a subset of your desired playlist as 'M3U' format - just choose a couple of lines at first. The format actually needs to be nothing more than a simple filename.mp3, or path\filename.mp3, on each line of a text file. Any relative paths should start from the location where you want to keep your playlist file.

Andre

I don't understand what you mean. Are you talking about changing the playlist file via a text editor?

 

When I open it up in notepad it displays the following, which  don't know what to do with

 

 

<?wpl version="1.0"?>

<smil>

    <head>

        <meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Windows Media Player -- 12.0.9600.17031"/>

        <title>New Songs</title>

    </head>

    <body>

        <seq>

            <smartPlaylist title="New Songs">

                <querySet>

                    <sourceFilter id="{4202947A-A563-4B05-A754-A1B4B5989849}" name="Music in my library">

                        <fragment name="Acquisition Date">

                            <argument name="condition">Is Later Than</argument>

                            <argument name="value">Last month</argument>

                        </fragment>

                    </sourceFilter>

                </querySet>

            </smartPlaylist>

        </seq>

    </body>

</smil>

 

 

 

A little unrelated:

Was this an oversight on the part of the developers? Everyone knows that Android uses MTP, and so windows media player (basically the easiest free program that allows for automatic music sync with playlist support) can't change the folder hierarchy and one must do so manually. The devs did a great job with Poweramp overall but I'm finding it tough to wrap my head around the idea that they didn't add wmp's standard folder hierachy into the possible 'guesses' that Poweramp makes about the directory structure :s

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not an expert on Windows Media Player, but that doesn't look like a file-based playlist to me, it's a dynamically searched list - i.e. when you use it in Windows Media Player, it would result in music on your PC from the last month. If so, then obviously that would not work as a playlist in Poweramp, which is looking for specifically named music files.

Andre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...