Additional Library Display Options

cpterp

The following are relatively easy fixes that would improve an already excellent app tremendously. I hope that these can added in the next update:

1. Add an option to turn off the splitting of genres with "/". This is the only app I've encountered that does this and it is kind of annoying since I have individual genres such as Hip Hop/R&B and Classic Rock/Pop that get split into multiple genres.

2. Add an option to allow splitting Artists with ";" or "/" (like in Windows Media Player). This is pretty much the opposite of request #1 for artists. It would just be awesome if there were simply separate options to split artists by ";" and "/",  and to split genres by ";" and "/". 

3. Release year view. I know you can already sort songs by release year, but it would be nice if there was a separate category that grouped songs by release year (again, like in Windows Media Player).

#1 and #2 to me, are critical improvements/fixes (that shouldn't take more than a few minutes to add), while #3 would merely be a nice addition. Thanks.

I made a suggestion for a more dynamic and flexible Folder/Library system a while back, which would tie in with some of your thoughts, but I have no idea whether Max felt it was a good idea or not.

I proposed a more flexible library viewing system where all the viewing modes (Folder, Album, Artist, Genre, Year, etc) would be shown as tabs along the bottom of the Library screen (sideways scrollable if the screen size requires it) but the user would also be able to edit those modes and/or create their own new customised sort/display options if they wished. The supplied default modes would behave pretty much as per the current system, to avoid any learning curve for basic users, but the underlying flexibility would be amazingly powerful. If anyone else is interested in this discussion, please see http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/6883-some-thoughts-on-library-list-sorting-and-tags/ and perhaps comment on it?

Whatever, I doubt these sort of changes will be implemented in the near future as most of Max's time is being taken up with the v3 audio engine work. That will initially be released for testing using the current UI, and once that is fully working and stable, an updated UI is apparently the next thing on the list.

Andre

• 1 month later...

I noticed the same splitting of genres. Quickfix - get MediaMonkey on your PC (great program, free version works perfectly, some neat stuff added in paid version) and batch update the tags to replace "/" with "&" - this will take three minutes and fix the problem. And also save this Max fella a number of hours coding and updating the GUI.

• 4 weeks later...

2. Add an option to allow splitting Artists with ";" or "/" (like in Windows Media Player). This is pretty much the opposite of request #1 for artists. It would just be awesome if there were simply separate options to split artists by ";" and "/",  and to split genres by ";" and "/". 

I'll raise this, ambitiously, with suggesting that this functionality be extended to the album artist field feature when it gets implemented. These seem like very basic features that significantly improve the functionality of the program. I'm sure that there is some sort of problem with implementing this feature, as it would be done already if there wasn't, but does anybody know what that complication is? Why are there so few players with support for multiple artists?

Also, I am personally very thankful that multiple genres is supported by PA.

Archived