Album tags creating multiple album instances in library

Tommyo63

Hi,

I'm a new Poweramp user (great app!) and have been spending some time getting to know the app's features.  As I import albums onto my phone (Samsung S4) I see that a single album on my laptop will create multiple "albums" in the Poweramp library.  Usually, these additional albums all have different cover art and contain only one or two songs.  I know this is not unique to Poweramp, I had a similar issue with MixZing, but since I've purchased this app and plan to use it exclusively I figured I should know how to get this library issue cleared up.  I'm guessing it has something to do with how the individual mp3 or flac song files are tagged.  If I understand the threads I've been reading, tagging is like metadata or headers for the file content to order it in a logical fashion within whatever program is doing the ordering.  But that's about all I know or have guessed at this point.

So, if anyone is familiar with the above problem specifically, or can recommend a general primer on Poweramp features, I would be grateful.

Thanks.

You are correct in your assumption. There are many free apps to tag your music. On android i use audiotagger. On the pc i use mp3 tag tool. When you use audiotagger, browse for your music, find the folder with the album tracks and select tickbox. Then click Tag. Now leave all the trackdetails as they are, select albumart and reload the albumcover. Update or replace. You can also choose to update track detail here but i never do.

Use a test folder to practice.

If your music is all on your laptop then use mp3tag ( ... http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ ...) to ensure that all the mp3 'tags' are correct. For a basic idea of what mp3 tags are and what they're used for this page ... http://www.richardfarrar.com/what-are-id3-tags-in-mp3-files/ ...  is fairly concise without bamboozling the reader with too much information ... :D

Most of my mp3 files are ripped from CD so have no mp3 tags at all. This is where mp3tag comes in. You have to be fairly organised if you're doing a lot of files though. Make sure you keep to consistant naming schemes, artists all the same name (not The Rolling Stones for one album and Stones for another for example). What I also do is read my files into a couple of PC media players every now and again (Windows Media Player for example) which can easily highlight where I've missed tags or gotten inconsistant. It's just that inconsistency that's probably at the root of your problems.

HTH

Dave

If you rip the CD using a decent program that can detect CD contents and download tracklists from the internet, that should be able to automatically add tags for you. I use Exact Audio Copy, which isn't the simplest or prettiest program to use, but it is very accurate and fairly powerful. For later manipulation of tags if I need to, I use TagScanner.

Andre

Archived