.cue file hints needed

joegorin

I have some albums that I have encoded as one big mp3 file with an associated .cue file. One set of those (4 sides of a two-disk set of LPs I digitized in 2002) works correctly. On all the others (encoded from CDs using the software from the Hango PJB-100, perhaps the first mp3 player), Poweramp acts as though there is no .cue file. It treats the mp3 file as a single track. These files worked correctly with my PJB-100 player, RIP.

I have read in searching the forums that the .cue file must be UTC-8 encoded, and I have verified that they are. I have read that the "FILE" line in the .cue file must have the exact file name with the right extension, and it does. I have read that the file name for the .mp3 file and the file name for the .cue file must be otherwise identical, and in the same folder, and they are. I have inspected the cue files that work and the ones that do not and do not see anything that explains the difference.

Any other hints?

--Joe

Lots more experiments, and finally success. What I learned:

* .cue file must be UTF-8 encoded. PSPad freeware is one way to ensure this. Notepad is known to not be consistent with this.

* the "FILE" line in the .cue file must have the exact file name with the right extension. (I found that all my FILE lines ended with the word WAVE even though all the files are .mp3. This does not seem to matter.)

* the file name for the .mp3 file and the file name for the .cue file must be otherwise identical, and in the same folder.

* the PERFORMER line in the header and the PERFORMER line in all the tracks ideally agree and are in the preferred form. My preferred form is Last, First.

* I am not sure, but I seem to only have success when I load both the .mp3 and .cue file at the same time, and put the folder in its final place in the hierearchy instead of moving it after I load it.

Thanks to Andre for the offer of help.

--Joe

Archived