Automatic Rating System ala Amarok

apertotes

I know that there is a rating system planned for a future release. I'd love such a feature. But i would like to ask Max if he would consider adding an automatic rating system like Amarok has. I, like many other people i guess, have a very large music collection, and i usually do not have the time or the willpower to manually rate every single song.

However, with an automatic rating system i can create a playlist based on that automatic score and forget about having to assign a value to each song.

For those that do not know how Amarok rates the songs, it is based on how long you play the song. Every song starts at a score of 50/100 and then every time the song is played it modifies the score. If the song is skipped at the very beginning, the score is halved. If the song is played till the end, the score is increased on half of the difference between the actual score and 100. And if the song is skipped and any time between the beginning and the end, it adds or substracts lineally.

So, for example, if a song were played 4 times till the end and then it was skipped at the very beginning, its scores would be:

1. 50

2. 75

3. 88

4. 94

5. 97

6. 48

Well, at least that is how i always thought it worked, although i may be wrong. Anyway, i think this would be a great addition for an already great player.

I forgot to explain one reason why i love this feature. There are some songs that i think are just great and/or beautiful. I think they deserve 5 stars. I am talking about pieces like High Hopes from Pink Floyd, Unchained Melody, Stairway to Heaven, November Rain, Suspicious Minds...

Well, i am sure you get the idea. There are many, many songs that i humbly believe they deserve the top rating. But, i do not feel like listening to them every day, or even every week. Thus, if i create a playlist based on my manual rating, i would have to skip all those great songs almost every day, until they come up one day i am really in the mood to listen to them.

On the other hand, there may be songs that are not that incredible, like This is the life, Word up, Always be my baby or Boombastic, but you just like listening to them. You can safely rate them with 2, 3 or 4 stars, and let the player learn that although those songs will never get into any Top 100 list, you want to listen to them more than you would confess to your friends.

Of course, then there are those legendary songs that will get 5 stars and will be listened to every single day. Yes, i am talking about The Final Countdown, One, Bohemian Rhapsody and Give into me. Well, an automatic rating system will also agree with you and will kindly play those songs for you every day, even without asking for.

This is why an automatic rating system is more than great. It learns your current likings even better than yourself, and even more, it is dynamic. It will update its ratings everytime a song is played. This way, you will see how the player gets better every day at playing your favorite songs, not those you think are great songs, but those you really want to listen at this point of your life. Also, when you are done with a song, it will silently become forgotten and be played only once every rabbit year, even though 3 years ago you thought it was great and gave it 5 stars (yes, i'm looking at you, Amy Winehouse)

wow, i think i got too emotional. anyway, i thank max for taking the time to read us and let us try to contribute to this great app.

Archived