browsing in folder mode

blubserl

hi!

this is nitpicking...but if you set sdcard:\music as your default music folder, then the music folder should not be shown as directory when opening the folder view, but only it's files & subfolders. because this is always an unnecessary click.

thanks and greetings!

Thanks for request.

This is done for consistency now, as if you have 2 such folders (music + musicfolders for example), they have to be displayed as 2 separate folders in the hierarchy view.

The change in behavior for 1 root folder vs multiple can produce more questions from users, but I will think about adding some option for this.

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I'd like to bump this request. Although it is easy enough to select all subfolders of /sdcard/music, but not /sdcard/music itself, by selecting /sdcard/music and then deselecting and reselecting any of the subfolders, doing so means having to go through this procedure every time you add a new folder to the music directory, in order to have Poweramp scan it. So I was wondering, if the option to display just the contents of one root folder was still under consideration.

Anyways, thanks for the good work!

Hi Andre!

True. But as the OP stated, then there's the tradeoff of that extra click in folder view. Because then folder view starts by displaying only music/ and not its containing folders. The behaviour I'd like to see is this (or an option to choose it): If there is only one root folder selected, then start folder view by showing the contents of that folder. That way I could fully select /sdcard/music in the Music Folders list, as you described, to have every new entry automatically picked up, and still not have to open music/ every single time I want to browse my music in folder view (which is all the time). As it is now, it's either/or. But I'd like to have both :-)

Thanks for your reply!

Well, where the problem is, depends on my selection of the Music Folders to scan...

All my music is organised in folders, that are subfolders of /sdcard/music/. So naturally I selected /sdcard/music/ as the root folder to be scanned, which then automatically includes all the subfolders and any folders that I subsequently add to /sdcard/music/. That part so far works exactly as desired. But now, when I open Poweramp or when I tap the Folders button in Library/Folders view, I see this:

• music/

Now I have to tap that folder in order to see what I want to see, which is:

• ACDC/
  • Beatles/
  • Random_Song_Collection/
  • Rolling_Stones/
  • etc

That is an unnecessary step, that gets a little annoying over the time. The only way to avoid that extra click, is to not select /sdcard/music/ as my root folder to be scanned, but instead all the subfolders. Now that gives me the desired display of what I want to see, when I start Poweramp or when I hit the Folders button in the Folders/Library view, but now everytime I put new music on my phone, I have to manually add the new folder to the list of folders to be scanned, which is very inconvenient.

Maybe I'm overlooking something here, but so far I couldn't find a way to configure the file browsing in Poweramp in a way, that really suits my needs. I know I'm reviving a more than four years old thread here. But since 'admin' had already considered a solution to this in his reply to the OP, I'm thinking maybe there is still hope... :-)

Ah, I see what you mean now. There's no way I can think of to avoid PA showing your 'music' folder as the root level I'm afraid - apart from, as you say, not selecting that folder in the list in the first place. If you do that, PA would still pick up new stuff added inside any of the existing folders, but not a new folder immediately within the 'music' folder.

You might like to try List view rather than Hierarchy for your folder mode. There's more scrolling, but less clicking, which I personally find preferable (the sorting order is still retained, so all of your AC/DC folders come before Beatles, etc).

Andre

Thanks, Andre! I've already tried using List view, but I do prefer Hierarchy view. Anyway, all of that is really more of a minor inconvenience rather than a real problem, since there is a workaround to get the view that I want. Poweramp is still an amazing piece of software and I love using it. If however this feature/option should somehow find it's way into any future release, that would make Poweramp just perfect and me very, very happy...

Thanks for your help and all the best,

Lars

Archived