Access media on WiFi network drive?

There's only one other thread I could find about this from last year that doesn't appear to be answered, so I thought I'd ask about any updates on this.

I'd like to purchase a WiFi hard drive such as the Seagate Wireless Plus and access the media on it directly via Poweramp. So far I've yet to hear any reports of this being possible. Is this a feature in the works? Or is there a way to make this work on my Nexus 5?

I've read about possibly needing to flash a ROM supporting CIFS, but I have yet to find one for the Nexus 5, or any confirmation that this would actually make it work.

Thanks!

Chris

You should be able to do it via a virtual folder (yes, CIFS), but it's not an ideal way to do it. You'd need to make sure autoscan was turned off whenever you don't have a Wi-Fi link to the external drive, otherwise the 'missing' files would get removed from the Library.

Andre

• 4 weeks later...

Would it be possible to have official support of this feature though? The quality of Poweramp is seriously unmatched by any music player I've ever used, be it on a smartphone or a program for PC. I would absolutely love to have official support so there wouldn't be any hassle with virtual folders or having to put a song(s) on my phone that I'd only remove shortly after.

Archived