Star ratings reading from within the tags, when?

Hi,

I've read the 2012 thread regarding ratings sync support request and wanted to post an updated request on this having seen no motion in this feature being added properly.

I use MusicBee on the desktop and it stores star ratings in the tags which can then be read by other apps that read tags properly. Even WIndows Explorer displays the star ratings I set in MusicBee yet Poweramp refuses to read those star ratings.

Poweramp has the ability to display non essential info like sample rate now yet not reading essential info like star ratings is a bit of a big oversight surely. I don't want to manually re-rate all my tracks in the app.

I have paid for Poweramp and indeed it's amazing in all other areas, just wish it had the ability to read star ratings like other apps which cost no money and are less feature packed in those other areas!

Thanks,

Rob.

• 1 month later...

As you can see by my other posts I am a new Samsung Verizon S5 purchaser unable to bring my fully rated and equalized collection of 2,000 songs over from my 3 yr old rooted Droid Bionic. Samsung Verizon S5 may never be rooted. Seems that the database file should have the option of living in a place that does not need root access - ie., an option to reside AND BE MOVED TO /sdcard/my_music. Export rating on the old phone could export to /sdcard/my_music or other folder of the user's choice. It would then be pointed to when that sdcard or a copy of it on a new sdcard is loaded into the new phone.

Having a solution that only works on ROOTED DEVICES was cool three years ago but not cool now that carriers like AT&T and Verizon are working feverishly to create bootloader locks and other reasonably secure root-proof devices is no longer a great path.

• 5 weeks later...

Also the best solution (reading and writing ratings back to the actual individual file tags) might get blocked by the appalling Google decision in KitKat to force making external SD Cards read-only (other than for very specific cases).

IMHO, this sort of thing makes root even more essential for any serious Android user. The S5 is easily rootable, it's just the carrier-specific versions which are proving an issue. I would prefer to buy a SIM-free phone outright rather than give money to the likes of Verizon or AT&T in the states who are currently crippling their bootloaders.

Andre

• 1 month later...

Finally rooted my new Verizon Samsung S5. Thought I was going to be able to get back my 2000 rated songs by restoring with Titanium Pro. Not Quite!!!  The path to the external SDCARD has changed on my new phone. Back to the drawing board waiting ever so patiently for PA 3.0 and its supposed ability to write ratings directing to the ID3 Tags. I'm praying there will be a utility that will move the PA 2.xx ratings to the ID3 Tags.

Support for eitheir of these tags would be really great:

RATING MM

Track rating from 1 = Bad to 5 = Very good like MediaMonkey does it. You can also enter stars * (and - for half stars) for rating the track.

RATING WMP

Track rating from 1 = Bad to 5 = Very good like Windows Media Player does it. You can also enter stars * for rating the track.

RATING WINAMP

Track rating from 1 = Bad to 5 = Very good like Winamp does it. You can also enter stars * for rating the track.

http://help.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html

• 1 month later...

This is the most disappointing part. I also filtering my playlist by rating.

1. You can't just choose songs with 4-5 stars. Especially then u got 1.5k songs, it's becoming hard routine.

2. It's impossible to sync song liberties between PC and android' card.

• 1 year later...

Another request for this feature. I use MediaMonkey on PC and I want the option to sync ratings, which as of right now isn't possible. It's killing me, and not only me. It's been requested for years. Could someone please at least explain why this can't be done? I'm tired of waiting after so long honestly, and it might push me towards the Mediamonkey app.

The biggest problem is that although there is a standard for ratings (the POPM tag) everyone seems to implement it differently. MediaMonkey uses one method, WMP another... and iTunes doesn't use tags at all, it has a database system. So it's nowhere near as easy to be all things to all people as you'd expect.

Andre

I  assume that mp3 is the most common format on Android so Poweramp would please many of its users by reading the popm tag much in the same way it reads all the other tags when it populates its database. The issue here is that when a user rates a track, the popm tag on the track also needs to be updated, all other tags are generally static.  The advantage is that when a user moves to a new device, the rating and Times Played are preserved as they are held on the track. To start off, you could use New Playlist Manager to write your current ratings to the popm tag of each track. This functionality was developed as a halfway house in response to posts on this forum.

• 3 years later...

There is no problem with reading ratings (for subset of supported formats, but most major tag formats support this). The problem is mostly writing those back, as many file formats will require complete rewrite on rating change. May be this will be allowed under some “advanced” option.

• 1 year later...

Archived