PA autoplays on BT connect in the car

When my phone gets connected to my car's BT, Poweramp starts to play. Even though the player isn't active. And even though the car is not at the bt audio setting, it is on radio.

Other players do not do this, just PA.

Already tried settings that did not help:

Poweramp menu: Settings=>Headset=>Resume on BT connect + Resume on Headset Connect (unchecked)

Poweramp menu: Settings=>Audio=>Audio Focus=>Short + Permanent Audio Focus Change 

I did report this as a bug using the Google Docs form.

If it helps, I can get a cat log.

Device: Nexus 5, Android 4.4.2

Car: VW Passat 2013

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a thought, but is it possible that the car heat-unit is automatically sending a 'Play' command upon device connection?

Andre

If I disable all BT-controls & lockscreen in PA and then have Spotify active, it does not start to play upon connection. If I press play in the car, Spotify starts to play. This is when the car is active in radio mode.

If I have my car audio system set to BT audio instead, Spotify automatically starts to play upon connection. This is true for other media players as well, for example Google Music. 

I have this issue as well. I'm running Android 4.1.2 on a Motorla Razor Maxx HD (stock). I'm using PA Version 2.0.9-build 530 Full Version. When connecting to SYNC on my Fusion it just starts playing. I have likewise disabled the option for automatic playback on connect. It will frequently even over-ride other players including pandora.

Disabling headset/bt control works around the problem.

The fact remains, ALL other media players I have remains paused when connecting to my car. If I then later press play in the car, the active media player will start to play.

With headset/bt controls active, PA will even start, even if it wasn't active and start playing, just after connecting to the car.

I would love to see these two changes in PA, one, do not autostart to play upon connect. Two, do not respond to headset/bt control if the app isn't running. It seems to keep a too persistent service running in the background.

Thanks for trying with headset off.

Yes, I understand, that your other players are not affected. Poweramp doesn't use stock player components, so it's implementation differs a lot. And Poweramp also support Android 2.1-4.4.2, and there were like 6 different BT stacks each of them requiring specific handling, while stock player just needs to support one stack - so it can be quite hard to investigate.

It also definitely doesn't affect all users, and it doesn't affect plain BT headsets.

Poweramp registers itself as active player on headset/bt connection, this is why it receives the rogue MEDIA_PLAY command, which is generated by something. Stock player doesn't follow this behavior, as it doesn't listen for headset/bt connection.

On Android, there is no such thing as "app running". App contains dozen of components, each of them running separately as Android/user/device environment needs. This is why it can be hard to apply your logic. But I will investigate and probably some workaround is possible.

If you want to help (and have root + can install Catlog app), please contact me via poweramp.maxmpz gmail.com - I can prepare build with debug logging - that will reveal what is happening with your Poweramp + headunit.

Thanks!

Just chiming in to say that I am experiencing the exact same problem. 

Unchecking the 'Respond to Buttons' checkbox is a manageable workaround, although the PA lockscreen is now disabled.

As far as I can tell, there is no setting on my head unit (Pioneer AVH-P3400BH) that has anything to do with this.

Here are the details of my phone:

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 VZW rooted/unlocked

Android 4.1.2 stock

PA 2.0.9 build 548 full version

I'd be happy to do any tests that might be helpful.

Just chiming in to say that I am experiencing the exact same problem. 

Unchecking the 'Respond to Buttons' checkbox is a manageable workaround, although the PA lockscreen is now disabled.

As far as I can tell, there is no setting on my head unit (Pioneer AVH-P3400BH) that has anything to do with this.

Here are the details of my phone:

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 VZW rooted/unlocked

Android 4.1.2 stock

PA 2.0.9 build 548 full version

I'd be happy to do any tests that might be helpful.

I just installed build 552 which includes the following:

- polished BT connection code (avoids autoplay for some BT headunits)

Unfortunately I'm still having the same problem with my Note 2.  I contacted Pioneer and they said my head unit (AVH-P3400BH) does NOT send a play command on BT connect.

Any ideas/suggestions?

BassAmp

Catlog app can help (if you have root). There is no issue with just Note2 + just BT audio device.

So something sends the command. It can be the device, some other app, ROM tweak/setting, etc.

If you disable Headset controls option in Poweramp and it stops to autostart - that's it. The button press command is sent and received.

Thanks!

BassAmp

Catlog app can help (if you have root). There is no issue with just Note2 + just BT audio device.

So something sends the command. It can be the device, some other app, ROM tweak/setting, etc.

If you disable Headset controls option in Poweramp and it stops to autostart - that's it. The button press command is sent and received.

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice.  I just downloaded Catlog and tried it out.  I started recording right before I paired the phone with the head unit.  It couldn't have take more than a few seconds but the log is looooooooooong!  There are tons of Bluetooth and A2DP entries.   I'll have to dig around and try using the filters and see if I can track down the culprit.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I might narrow my search? 

You can send log to us (poweramp.maxmpz gmail.com). We can also send you a log-enabled Poweramp build, but as we investigated previously, there is always AVRCP PLAY command explicitly sent by something on device (ROM/BT stack, or most probably, the BT device).

Thanks!

You can send log to us (Poweramp.maxmpz gmail.com). We can also send you a log-enabled Poweramp build, but as we investigated previously, there is always AVRCP PLAY command explicitly sent by something on device (ROM/BT stack, or most probably, the BT device).

Thanks!

Thanks for the response.  I sent you a log.  Wait a minute, that didn't quite sound right!   I sent you a Catlog! ;)

There are lots of lines pertaining to AVRCP, Bluetooth etc.  For example, "AVRCP_GET_PLAY_STATUS".  But I didn't see a line where a definitive PLAY command was sent, but maybe I just missed it.  If you could have a look, I'd appreciate it.  

Thanks! 

• 8 months later...

Has there been any other solutions to this issue?  I had PA on a samsung s3 that I used forever.  I recently upgraded to a s5.  Now my music is automaicly starting when I start the car.  I have a Toyota Camry.  It has a factory unit in it.

I have unchecked all the boxes to turn on when bt is connected.  Hasnt helped.

Some applications for some reason can broadcast Headset insertion event sometimes - disabling Resume On Wired Headset option will help in this case as well.

For BT connection, there is a separate, Resume on Bluetooth option, which is disabled by defailt.

Please note, that if both options are disabled and Poweramp still resumes on connection, this means device ROM (or most probably - some other app), sends MEDIA_PLAY command, which is the same as headset PLAY button press. This is controlled by Respond To Buttons option.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,I add new problems.

Structure connections:

Samsung Note 4 SM-N910F with Gear SM-V700 (work perfectly) connect to Toyota Yaris Hybrid 3rd series and Android 4.4.4 Delvik Runtime (ART runtime have more problems); Poweramp version 2.0.10 build 570-play (full version)

If I connect my Note 4 on the CAR center Poweramp play music but not see any Title, Artist ecc ( Metachanged Intent is ON and MOD for others Roms not change any because I have a Stock Rom).

I tested any possible solution for restore normal status (empty cache, delvik, uninstall & reinstall)

Curiosly with my Note 2 (GT-N7100) no problem afflict Poweramp.

Other small problem: when I suspend playing, switch off the car and return to switch on, the player restart song to begin.

This problems it's only for Poweramp because others players (inclusive a Samsung Stock player) don't have any bugs and send song information normally.

PS: the Samsung Stock player send a Pic of the cover album on the Gear but others players not

• 1 year later...

HI!

I have the same problem, using a Galaxy Note 4. Android 5.1.1. When connecting to VW- Radio the player starts automatic although radio mode is on.

Rooting the device is not possible because ist a company phone.

Disable the setting "respones to buttons" did not really solve the problem complete because after removing this option the standard android player also doesn´t react on my bluetooth headset or car radio BUT player doesnt start :-)

sorry for my bad english :-)

This is almost certainly the car head-unit device issuing a play command when it connects, which Poweramp is meant to respond to.

Have you tried the latest alpha-test build of Poweramp v3, as Max has recently introduced a delay after connection before bluetooth commands are checked.

Andre

• 1 year later...

Same issue here with my Kenwood head unit and my Google Pixel XL.  Sure, disabling the BT button support stops the auto play....but that also disables the head units control buttons to control the player......also...disables my controls on my BT headsets.

Any fix for this?

Archived