Create and Manage Playlists on PC?

DetroitDavid

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Newbie's question asks if he can transfer a playlist from his "PC" to his android.

i have the same issue/question. i have been a paid user for 2+ years and the lack of this option severely limits my ability to use this app.

i have asked several times to find a solution to this; i believe it would be huge for all users.

creating a 50-100+ song playlist on your phone is way too time consuming. every other mp3 player i have owned had this ability

Yes, you may use Import/Export Playlists option in Poweramp menu: Settings=>Folders and Library

I am testing Trial Poweramp but the ability to export/import playlist from my computer is important to me

When I go to Settings>Folders and Library>Playlist Import/Export>Import System Library Playlist >     

I just get the message “Poweramp will import System Library playlists. Existing Poweramp playlist won’t be overwritten”

and when I click on Import, it doesnt seem to do anything(like asking where the playlist files to be imported are located)......

Am I missing something? Also I have not been able to figure out what playlist files are supported. I can export mpl, m3u, m3u8, asx, csv.....  

Any Help or Advice is appreciated

Certainly seems like a tremendous amount of work for a simple process that every other mp3 player can do except for Poweramp.

Don't get me wrong, I love Poweramp and have been a paid subscriber for a long time, but this is a major issue for a lot of users; which never gets addressed directly. It's always a workaround. 

Furthermore, everyone that has ever replied to me about this goes back to the "folder structure" assumption. I don't use folders for artists, genres, albums, nor anything else.

It would be vastly more simple and efficient to just create the player so that it accepts/recognizes playlists like most mp3 players, with a simple drag/drop.

90+% of users are unable technically to execute your "workaround."  With a paid $10 app, one shouldn't have to go through such work every time they want a playlist on their phone.

I know what you mean, but your phone and your computer are two separate animals, and while they can both have playlists, they are not the same thing. And to make it harder, every program on the computer can have different types of playlist. :(

We've suggested one way you can make them work, but I completely agree with you that it's not a simple "iPhone style" solution where the system does everything for you its own way - whether you actually want it to or not. I guess I chose the Android route BECAUSE it allows me to control how things work - such as folder locations, etc - but that does sometimes mean a bit more work and less automation, which isn't for everyone.

Andre

• 5 months later...

Paid $4.45 for this app and am really disappointed and how difficult it is to get playlists recognised.

Previously, I would create a playlist in winamp or windows media player. Then copy the music files that are featured in the playlist to my external sd card in the folder "music". Then I would copy the new playlist to my external sd card into the folder "playlists". Winamp would detect it straight away but Poweramp does not even after scanning.

Absolutely infuriating and should not be this difficult.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Is there an update on this & a much easier method? I have 162GB of music on my SD card & want to be able to create music "type" playlists. e.g. "rock" based on Genre. That might contain many thousand songs & I am sure as hell not doing that song by song. I also might want to create a favourites list by a drag & drop method-which would not be a mere 10 or 50 songs, I am talking about LARGE playlists that simply can't be done through the APP OR by typing file path names into a .txt/.m3u file. Oh & by the way I don't use itunes so please don't reference transposing a playlist from there...

If your PC-based music software can create M3U playlists, and you use the same relative paths/directories on the PC as you do on your phone, they should work. Ideally using relative paths in the .M3U files, but it's very each to batch edit a whole playlist file in one go anyway. TagScanner might be one way do do it, as youm can sort your music by folder, genre tag, etc and then select large blocks of song and create matching relative-path M3U playlist files.

Andre

I have posted here previously but New Playlist Manager can import your pc m3u playlist without you having to worry about its location. As long as the tracks on the playlist are somewhere on your device. The import recreates your playlist with the correct paths. It could not be easier.

1 hour ago, Anastasia said:

To eaily create and manage playlist on your PC, you can use TunesGo. This is an all-in-one music manager. I always use it to manage my music library and edit the playlist.

I wasn't sure whether to just treat this advertising spam - but to give you the benefit of the doubt, you paid $60 just to sync your playlists?!?!?!??!

Andre

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, andre47 said:

If my music files are located in a cloud storage (e.g. onedrive) how can I create my playlists on my PC that they will work with Poweramp?

You can't, sorry. Poweramp does not play any streamed/cloud-based content at present.

Andre

• 6 months later...

Apart from creating playlist for streaming music, you could create m3u playlists for music on your pc, as long as the same music exists on your android device. Although these m3u playlists would hold the incorrect path info (that of your pc), my app New Playlist Manager can import such a playlist. No need to worry about the pathname. To play them with Poweramp,   import android playlist or as m3u playlists.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I just want to echo that I love Poweramp, it's the best player I've used for "playing," but yeah, the getting files onto it workflow is rough.  I couldn't imagine anyone whose not willing to put up with some tech pain for the gain actually using the app

Partially because once the first batch of system-playlists are imported, and-then you repeat this process for a subsequent batch of "new" playlists, Poweramp can't distinguish old from new.  It reimports the old playlists "it already has" along with the new ones, creating lots of duplicates that have to be deleted manually. 

My workaround is to delete the old playlists from the android-system-player, then import the new playlists from the pc, then import those into Poweramp, then delete them from the android-system-player (as to be ready for the next batch)

Also with Google having NOW eliminated the old music player (or submerged it somewhere), it's not easy to delete system playlists outside of Poweramp as a workaround for (the new playlists / Poweramp-duplication) issue, because it's based in Google Play, which has a feature-challenged UI. 

Seems like there should be an auto magic detection if the exact same system-playlists already exists in Poweramp, i.e. same name, track count, titles, paths, etc. ... Maybe just add one of those "hey look like you already have the following playlists imported - want to skip these?" type prompt ... ? ...  

Archived