I do wonder if this oft-requested feature (especially by @haddy :)) might be held up in Max's longer-term plans to make the row of icons under the artwork area customisable?

While A-B could work within the existing Repeat icon selection, it would need to be only available as a long-press option. You wouldn't want to cycle away from your normal listening mode each time you want to listen to something in A-B Repeat and then multi-tap back to normal afterwards.

Andre

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/16/2022 at 8:55 AM, andrewilley said:

I do wonder if this oft-requested feature (especially by @haddy :)) might be held up in Max's longer-term plans to make the row of icons under the artwork area customisable?

While A-B could work within the existing Repeat icon selection, it would need to be only available as a long-press option. You wouldn't want to cycle away from your normal listening mode each time you want to listen to something in A-B Repeat and then multi-tap back to normal afterwards.

Andre

Agreed and well reasoned.

If implemented as a long-press option it would still be sad to loose that precise A to B loop that has been made.

Hence why I firmly believe that there should be the additional option to save the A-B selection to BOOKMARKS.

• 3 months later...

Hello andrewilley, 

A-B Repeat must also support a 'saving' function either save to Bookmarks or save to a custom playlist. If you can edit that as enclosed brackets to your above post. 

It's worth to note, the existing 'Add to Bookmark' feature already is the same as A-B function in that it marks a point A except with not marking a point B

@haddy I tend to agree. Within the current Bookmark category it would seem fairly trivial to incorporate an 'end' time as well as a 'start' time for a song wouldn't it? So each bookmarked song could have a defined 'in' point as its start position and (optionally) an 'out' point for exiting too. After all, as well as wanting to skip unwanted lengthy intros, the same could be argued for long-winded outros too.

Combine that one simple addition with the already-existing ability to set the playback mode to 'Repeat One Song' and you've got yourself an A-B Repeat function by the backdoor.

@maxmp How about it? This request has been hanging around for an inordinate amount of time now (13 years has got to be some sort of record I think). If just adding the facility to define an out-point for Bookmarks would solve this with very little extra work. maybe it's worth a look now? 

Andre

• 2 months later...

🤔

publicly...

ignoring...

as opposed to privately ignoring.

~edit~

There are features in the voting section with >2x the votes of A-B repeat. But hey, at least it's on the board! Hardly ignored, was my point.

Edited by Fitzian
feel free to delete, off-topic discussion

@haddy One of the reasons that the Voting system was created was to get an idea of which feature requests are generally popular with the userbase, versus those which may have vociferous but more minority support. A-B Repeat is somewhere near the bottom of the first of two pages at the moment. I assume you've put your vote in for it?

However as user-configuration of the buttons on the Player Screen is up near the top at the moment, perhaps something like A-B Repeat might get swept up within that work? Depends a lot on how much work it would take versus just adding some new button options that just link to existing features.

Andre

Thanks Andre and Fitzian.

I don't think the voting system would work to properly reflect the support for A-B Repeat. I estimate that many of the users who posted support for this feature on the forum are either seldom visitors to the forum or probably don't use or have knowledge for the Voting system.

A-B Repeat is certainly not a feature that requires significant change to the UX/UI or any major change to some audio engine.

The existing Bookmarks feature already marks a point A for songs, so it would be as straightforward as a developer just 're-using' this same code.

It could even be added as an Experimental feature that has to be enabled in the Settings.

My favourite feature packed audio player on Android and it can't even do A-B Repeat whilst the developer chooses to hilariously laugh at my request from 13 years ago. VLC, Neutron Player and other Android players have A-B Repeat cycle.

C'mon man

2 hours ago, haddy said:

Thanks Andre and Fitzian.

I don't think the voting system would work to properly reflect the support for A-B Repeat. I estimate that many of the users who posted support for this feature on the forum are either seldom visitors to the forum or probably don't use or have knowledge for the Voting system.

A-B Repeat is certainly not a feature that requires significant change to the UX/UI or any major change to some audio engine.

The existing Bookmarks feature already marks a point A for songs, so it would be as straightforward as a developer just 're-using' this same code.

It could even be added as an Experimental feature that has to be enabled in the Settings.

My favourite feature packed audio player on Android and it can't even do A-B Repeat whilst the developer chooses to hilariously laugh at my request from 13 years ago. VLC, Neutron Player and other Android players have A-B Repeat cycle.

C'mon man

Hii @haddy I totally get your frustration about the A-B repeat thing. Thirteen years is a long time to wait for any feature, let alone one that seems like it'd be a no-brainer.

But here's the thing: there's only one developer behind this music player, and they're juggling a whole lot of responsibilities. Imagine trying to keep up with bug fixes, new features, and other things, all while being your own tech support team. It's no easy feat.

Now, I'm not saying there's no room for improvement. The voting system is there for a reason, and it's how the developer prioritizes features. But comparing them to laughing at your request? That's a bit harsh, dude. This ain't corporate HQ with suits sipping champagne while ignoring emails. It's one person, trying to make the best music player they can.

I see you're comparing Poweramp to other music player based on the a-b repeat feature. I understand its appeal, but there's a reason many of us stick with Poweramp. It's got a lot to offer, and for many, it still is the best music player on the Play Store.

I can understand why you're frustrated, but let's try to communicate respectfully with the developer. We're all on the same team here. ✌

3 hours ago, haddy said:

My favourite feature packed audio player on Android and it can't even do A-B Repeat whilst the developer chooses to hilariously laugh at my request from 13 years ago. VLC, Neutron Player and other Android players have A-B Repeat cycle

C'mon man

@haddy Laughing at your request - Really? I would suggest there are likely very many feature requests that other users have posted that also rank much higher in their opinion than others. Yet they aren't in the current version of Poweramp. Many of these are probably prioritized higher than A-B and haven't made it to development. At least not that we are aware of here at the forum level.

Poweramp today works at least to the level it was expected to when you purchased it. And many improvements have been added since that haven't cost you anything. For this I applaude @maxmp and will continue to enjoy that app as it is. And if or when new features get implemented, I will enjoy those too. Yes I have some on that list too.

I can think of NO occasion where Max has "chosen to hilariously laugh" at this request, he merely hasn't felt any need to prioritise it over other tasks. Less of the entitled attitude please.

Of course if there are more people following this thread who want this feature, you should vote for it.

Speaking personally, I think it would make sense to combine implementing this sort of feature with the much higher ranking request for making the Player Screen buttons user-customisable. So for example at some point in the future when that facility gets added (possibly as part of an Add-On Pack?) one of the options could be for the user to swap out the 'Visualization' or 'Sleep' icon buttons for an 'A-B Repeat' button.

Andre