Sort by year in folders view

Sirion

I know this works quite well when in library and viewing albums from an artist they get sorted by year. However in folder view they are sorted alphabetical and cannot be resorted. I tried the by year sort but it only affects the files in the folder not the folder itself, sorting songs by track number works great but sorting folders is what I miss.

Sure I could use the library view, but as it doesn't support album artist it is useless to me and so I have to use the structure of folders.

By the way, my folder structure looks like:

Music

Albumartist ( are sorted alphabetical and should stay so)

albums ( are sorted alphabetical and want them to be sorted by year)

songs

Erm, given that folders don't have ID3 tags, just names, how are you planning to sort them by year? (unless you put the year as the first part of the folder name, which is what I do with a couple of artists, but then you're still sorting by folder name). Folders do have createdates, but that's nothing to do with the songs in them, it's just a system date.

Andre

But what about using the ID3 tags of the songs inside the folders to sort them by year? Or something like a text file which is placed inside the folder (like the AlbumArt.jpg) and gets recognised by Poweramp.

Because it would cut off my synchronisation settings in my home network and it doesn't look elegant (sorry, no better word). It shouldn't be a great issue to have a detection of a special file (as mentioned it works with AlbumArt.jpg so why not with another file?) to acquire a special sorting.

I guess you need to decide whether Folder sorting is really what you really want then, as folders are Android filesystem items, not music data, so they aren't tagged with music tags like MP3 files are. If you want to sort by music tags, the Library option might be better suited for you.

Archived