Automatic Gain Control

juhn777

AGC (automatic gain control) is a method used to avoid volume fluctuations between tracks. We all have songs that sound too loud, or too soft, but with automatic gain control, all songs could sound at the same volume. It is not like compression, since it scans the input gain in the file, and then adjusts the output gain to match the required preferences. What compression does is to try to mantain the song in certain db level at all times, which causes some minor problems with songs with both soft and loud parts. I saw the other thread about compression, and also saw how admins refused to implement compression due to some problems, including the one I mentioned.

So, this is what I say. Implement AGC in Poweramp. There's another music player in the android market which does have this feature already (as seen in this screenshot), but Poweramp is way too cool compared to that music player (which also has virtualization, unlike Poweramp). I say this because I've tested it myself, and with AGC, I never had to worry about adjusting volume for one song and adjusting it again for another song ever ever again.

Thanks in advance.

RG doesn't seem to work well for my library. I've tweaked it many times, but ended up just turning it off due to quality issues and ineffectiveness. I have alot of files ripped from CD and an ever-growing library of MP3 from Amazon. There is usually a big difference in volume of ripped tracks vs Amazon tracks. I was hoping the AGC might be more user friendly. If it uses the SAME MECHANISM as RG, then oh well. I have been setting the EQ pre-amp as needed and assigning it to albums that need volume correction most. That works, but is cumbersome and alot of work and is subject to loss since there is no way to backup EQ assignments.

NO SIR, that's not the same thing. See, replay gain only does one of two things: 1) it boosts db for all songs equally (obviously not producing the desired effect), or 2) it reads the ID3 tag to find a replay gain db refference. Problem with "2)" is that for it you need to first write the tags to the music IN YOUR COMPUTER, WITH THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE, be it Foobar or Mp3gain, or other software. For the common user, this proccess can be confusing, and we all know common people like simple things, so that's why I ask this to be a feature in Poweramp. AGC could perfectly do the same as replay gain, but AGC is automatic (maybe it's an automatic replay gain detector for songs?). So if Poweramp could detect the desired replay gain, and aply it to the file tag, then using replay gain would be the same as AGC.

So, in other words, AGC does more than replay gain itself.

Well, I cannot comment on the desire of the Devs to incorporate track / album average level analysis into Poweramp but in the mean time If you can mount your phone as a mass storage device you can use foobar to analyse your entire collection while it's on the phone and apply tags as and where necessary. This may get around your problem in the short term.

Also note, there is a limiting function that you could use to attenuate transients if you are experiencing clipping.

Archived