Losing track position while pausing/resuming with headset

How would one go about keeping the service loaded when idle? Will this create a wakelock situation?

Go to Settings --> Misc --> Tweaks --> Keep Service.

I am not sure exactly what this does, or if it is going to cause higher usage/battery drain. I had it like that all day today though and it seemed fine.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go to Settings --> Misc --> Tweaks --> Keep Service.

I am not sure exactly what this does, or if it is going to cause higher usage/battery drain. I had it like that all day today though and it seemed fine.

Well well well... this fixed the problem for me, as well! I tried all of my usual tests with it, and it passed with flying colors. I am a little concerned about what impact this setting has on battery and performance. I assume it will be minimal, and I will keep an eye on it. I don't like that a much older post I found in this forum by an admin suggesting this "keep service" fix for a vaguely similar problem said this fix is for "older, slower phone models." I don't think the Galaxy Nexus would fit this description. The devs should take note of this fix and figure out the underlying cause for needing to use it. Thanks for the tip!

The devs should take note of this fix and figure out the underlying cause for needing to use it.

Yes, it might be worth looking into, especially since this issue did not occur until a week or two ago when there was an update for the app on Google Play. Actually I think there were two updates released in the same week, so I'm not sure which one triggered it. BTW I'm using an HTC Fireball (Droid Incredible 4G), which is not the fastest device on the planet, but it was released this year.

Yes, it might be worth looking into, especially since this issue did not occur until a week or two ago when there was an update for the app on Google Play. Actually I think there were two updates released in the same week, so I'm not sure which one triggered it. BTW I'm using an HTC Fireball (Droid Incredible 4G), which is not the fastest device on the planet, but it was released this year.

Exactly... it was indeed two versions ago that this started happening. The next update came out soon after but was not to resolve this issue, and the problem remains. The "keep service" setting works great, but this should not be the resolution.

I confirm the same behaviour. I use exclusively a BT headset, my phone is Samsung Galaxy S running CM10 (JellyBean).

It happens on short tracks too. To me it seems that the track position is lost (mostly?) when the Poweramp service is killed by Android unexpectedly (low memory situation, sudden reboot etc.). It seems like the app is not saving track position in a regular interval but rather only on a "safe" exit from the app. The workaround involving keeping the service in memory seems to support that.

This is EXTREMELY annoying even on short tracks and I can only be thankful that I don't listen to long mixed CD much...

After two days of this "keep service" setting on, I can say it certainly works like a charm. However, the battery consumption is not acceptable. I will deal with the tracks starting from the beginning until this gets resolved. Unfortunately, it looks like that may never happen. I'm not sure why this issue now seems to be ignored; there is clearly a problem that was introduced recently.

After still having issues with this today, I decided to just go find an APK of an older version, 2.0.6 - build 505. Back to the glory days where I didn't have to deal with this stupid bug. My only regret is not finding an APK in the first place and loading the crack file that came with it instead of paying for an app whose dev apparently ignores a hot-issue bug.

• 1 month later...

I spent about an hour trying out Google Play as an alternative but unfortunately wasn't that impressed. Replacing track names with random numbers wasn't the most user friendly experience.

• 1 month later...

Lately we identified bug which could lead to the symptoms in this topic (rare track state loose). The fix will be in the next build, though, we're not certain that it will exactly fix it - as we never were able to reproduce locally.

Thanks!

Lately we identified bug which could lead to the symptoms in this topic (rare track state loose).

Sounds good, I get this from time to time too. Mostly when I've been listening in the car (which is normally longer podcast programming) and I just turn the engine off which shuts down the bluetooth connection and stops playback. When I return to the car and switch everything back on again, the bluetooth reconnects fine, but sometimes (not always) PA restarts playback at the start rather than resuming where it left off (which is a bit annoying if it happens during a 90 minute program, you just try and seek to 67' 30" quickly while driving!)

Andre

• 8 months later...

This is still a pending issue on my Galaxy Note II (non-rooted stock 4.1.2). I can't say for sure it's related to use of BT headset because I use it almost exclusively and the bug occurs very randomly and I don't know how to reproduce it. Keeping the player service in memory does NOT help.

What is the status on this?

EDIT: It seems the problem occurs when the player service is killed by the system when phone is low on memory. I tried killing the (inactive) service by a task killer and playback was reset to 0:00. The player needs to save last played possition whenever it is paused and not rely on the service to "remember" it.

Archived